Pontin's Southport

Pontins Southport Holiday Park
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Pontin's Southport

Needs a bit of money spending on it !!!!

by TripAdvisor Member judet

We stayed in the classic accomodation, we being Grandmother, daughter and granddaughter, it was fine, pull out bed and a bedroom with two single beds in. The apartment was clean (no 313- if you can get it ! ). We were very close to all the ammenaties, this was the reception area the climbing wall and the crazy golf. Didnt have to walk very far. The evening entertainment was as we expected, Bluecoats worked hard to put on a differant (though very similar) show each night. We spent about an hour if not longer at night in the amusements, my daughter needed to win a big ball from the pick up machine, this she finally did, proberly cost me about £10 in the end, but it was fun to do..well for her it was!!!
I last went to Pontins (this campsite) 30 years ago, little had really changed, didnt fancy any Bluecoats this time!, It really needs a bit of love and affection and someone to organise things a little better, but we had a good time, we said it wouldnt be our cup of tea you now being snobs and all but it was okay.. give it a go for a short break you might like it too !

Not bad at all.

by TripAdvisor Member holiholiEssex

I have been to Pontins several times over the last 15 years so knew what to expect. This wasour second visit to Southport site, though this time we upgraded to a Club chalet as we know that Budget really means 'Basic'. The chalet was clean, comfortable and very close to all amenities. Every member of staff we met from security to shop to reception was very pleasant and helpful. I reported that our smoke alarm had no battery and almost before I had returned to the chalet there was a pleasant maintenance man at our door to replace it.
Please don't be put off by the previous reviews. You get what you pay for! I know that i couldn't get accommodation for six people for four nights, right by the sea at August Bank Holiday for £180 all in, anywhere else. This is less than £8 per person per night, you couldn't even get a hostel for this price!!!!
This was booked through The Sun holidays with an apartment upgrade and I appreciate some people will pay more than this.

I really could not fault it for the price. Every Pontins we have visited has needed lots of investment, but we know that and take it for what it is A CHEAP AND CHEERFUL SEASIDE SHORT BREAK.

Disgusting, dirty and full of yobs

by TripAdvisor Member stanleydog

Myself and 3 friends and their children go away every year for a weekend. Thinking Pontins was a fun "family" place we decided to try there. But oh NO!!!! Our chalet was filthy, there were curtains hanging off the rails, the sofa bed looked like it had just come off a skip. We had to wash all the plates knives and forks etc. We had to wash all surfaces including the bathroom. We was not after 5 star accomodation but all we ask for is clean living areas. Not only that there was a huge fight on our first night the security got involved who also got attacked by these yobs. It was a very violent and frightening attack and to my amazment just left no police involvment to reassure the poor guests who witnessed this. I was totally appalled that Pontins and their security think of themselves so low that they allow behaviour like this to be "got away with" It is utterly disgusting.
With that and the lack of advertised facilities the weekend turned from what should have been a happy one with fond memories to one with sad memories and a bad taste of true family holidays. We will certainly not go back to Pontins and I would not recommend it at all. Think twice before booking!!

You have to see this place to believe it

by TripAdvisor Member Gert123

OK, so this weekend didn't cost much as we went with our majorette troup to a competition trip on site. OK, so I have stayed in lots of hotels with both work and on holiday in both the UK, US & Europe but I am not a snob. So I decided to expect the worst then I wouldn't be disappointed, ha ha! - the chalets here were the bits bit. Ancient pre-fabs with peeling paint built in concentration camp type blocks around grassed areas. However, in fairness despite them being basic ours was spotless. The cooker was clean, the bathroom and fridge and all the utensils were well scrubbed. The bedding was crisp and white and we were warm. Our electricity meter was broken so we had free electricity all weekend and our room was comfortable. The shower was a bit of a laugh because you had to press a button like at the swimming pool to keep the water running and the flow was so poor you didn't actually get wet!! Where Pontins failed was everything else. If this had been my only holiday I would have cried. There was absolutely nothing to do here for kids that were not competing other than the swimming pool. NOTHING. The zip wire and climbing wall and Go Karts were all chargable and not running, that was it. The arcade was tacky, boring and expensive. The shop was extortionate. With the exception of one really friendly lad in the bar the staff were indifferent and lacking in any kind of personality or volume, there were hardly any staff full stop. We saw 2 Blue Coats all weekend, and that was at night, 2 bouncers and one miserable receptionist and a few working in the pub and shop. We went to order food in the pub on the Sunday, no exageration it took me 25 mins to get to the front of the queue. The young lad behind the counter made a mistake on the til and couldnt resolve it because it was his first day and he had NO training. It took another 20 mins for a manager to appear who didn't know how to use the till either. It was awful from beginning to end. I hope they shut Pontins down and demolish it so that the majorette competions get held somewhere else in future. I rang the husband up in desperation on the Sunday and he picked me up a day early. This is sad really, a time warp holiday camp where everything is as it was in 1950. Maybe it should shut to holiday makers and re-open as a museum, I am sure it would be more popular!!.

wont go back

by TripAdvisor Member teenba

Booked through The Sun £9.50 holidays Have been a couple of times before once over 20 years ago and it hasnt changed one bit The room was grubby (520) seats uncomfortable, beds werent to bad bedding was clean daughter found someone sock under bed, so dont think they were cleaned very well Window frames were rotton and the wind howled through the door cause of the large gaps around it. We were on the first floor and all the railings were rusty Friday night went to the fun factory there was a band on and they were ok Had vouchers for the bar so got a few drinks free. Saturday night didnt bother going to onsite entertainment, but my 16 year old daughters did and to my discust were served with lager and spirits at the bar. Pub across the road The Sands was nice and we drank mainly in there Was also told that someone/company had bought the camp site a couple of months ago so perhaps it will get cleaned up Will stick to caravan sites from now on

Bargain at the Price

by TripAdvisor Member jamieh_8

What can i say about southport Pontins. You cant complain on a weekend break for £60 for 4 people. Yes the chalets are basic, but they are clean. Good Location for traveling around and loads to do.

Holiday From Hell

by TripAdvisor Member gl1tangerine

Just returned from the ultimate holiday from hell at Pontins in Southport.

The original chalet we were placed in had no pots or pans or cutlery so we requested to be moved. The staff who dealt with this issue were extremely rude and quite frankly couldn't be bothered. The second chalet we were moved to was just as bad (if not worse) but by this time it was 9pm in the evening and my three young daughters were extremely tired and I wasn't prepared to move again (the pouring rain didn't help with this decision either) After settling down for the night I had a look round the chalet and quite frankly it was disgusting, there was excrement smeared on the bathroom wall behind the door, the window in one of the bedrooms when opened (to let the smell of damp out) completely fell out of the wall and I was left holding the whole window in my hand (this would be dangling about 3 foot above where my daughters were expected to sleep) The floor was absolutely disgusting, my girls refused to take off their shoes while in there as the floor was so filthy (I asked for a hoover and was told I couldn't have one as it was against health and safety regulations) but that would not have removed the mass of stains and mould on there anyway.

The cooker only had 3 knobs out of 5 which again was very dangerous as it makes it near impossible to tell if you have the thing switched on or off.

In the bathroom as well as the excrement on the wall the actual toilet seat was hanging off.

To top it all off when one of the laundry machines I was using broke down I politely requested that a member of staff (who was in the small hire shop next door) contact someone using his telephone to come and see to the problem. he sullenly replied "It's not my bloody job and I'm sick of this" this really was the final straw for me and I let him know that there was no need to be rude (especially as I had my 6 year old with me at the time) and left the hire shop to return to the laundrette. At this point the guy followed me into the laundrette stuck his face in mine and said "Dont [-----] p*ss me off, I'll have your legs broken in 5 minutes"

I obviously notified a manager of the situation immediately and took my daughter away as quickly as possible.

All in all this was a holiday from hell for me, it was the first time I have ever taken my 3 kids away (their mum and I are divorced) and what should have been a memorable occasion for all us quickly soured.

I would strongly advise avoiding this place if you can help it, great job Pontins on ruining our holiday.

Further images can be see on this video
[-----------]

Makes a person apreciate a nice place.

by TripAdvisor Member Pastorgordonspot

I feel it is my duty to remain positive. I have never been in a government housing project but know what it would feel like. I found the lay out interesting. I wonder what the planners were thinking when they did not put up guard towers and razor wire. My only wish would be that others do not book their holidays there. My wife was really embarrassed feeling responsible for the travesty. I had to repeatedly tell her that it was OK we would survive. I did not take any photos as I thought that having them come up would remind her of our time there.

My worst nightmare

by TripAdvisor Member delicious1

No.please dont go too this dump,went for a new year break with my young children myself being a single mum in one chalet and my parents with other granchildren in another chalet.the apartments were disgusting very dirty, yellow stains on the beds,damp up the walls ,dirty crockery and cutlery of which was few and far betwen, our fridge had no stand so couldnt open and shut it,windows that would not shut so was freezing,i felt like i was in a prison cell not a hoilday park,we arrived 30th dec ,tried activitys in club, headed home for 11 as had young children , at 11.05 fighting began on our block, next door actually, someone was thrown through a window, someone was thrown off a balcony, the language was ridiculous my daughter wet her self she was so afraid,this continued till 4 am ,it was reported too security but seemed like no one could take control of the sitiion.8.30 following morning me and my mum went too give our keys in we could no longer stay here felt it was not a safe enviroment for us or children, on way we were told off other holiday makers a boy of 15 was mugged, there was more fighting and a girl of 16 was beaten too a pulp in the club.the mangement were understanding and did give us a full refund, never the less our holiday was totally ruined, i am seeking compensation,,,alls i can say is please please dont go there.

please read before booking

by TripAdvisor Member flashleicester

we went to pontins southport with our 3 kids for feb half term,we had read the reviews but went open minded. Surley it cant be that bad can it? Its does not make u proud 2 be british, lets put it that way. Our room was a classic which is ment to be the middle of the road grade of chalet. The walls and curtins had black mold on them , the carpet (if u can call it that) was that worm and dirty that u stuck 2 it when u walked on it. The toliet seat was broken on arrival, and the matress on the sofa bed was no thicker than a summer duvet. not forgetting the smell that was something else and when getting dressed in the morning your clothes were damp, as the room was.
Now then the entertainment was ok all though the room needed a face lift as much as the chalets and the seats were a joke they were just like the ones u had at school in the dinner room they must if been about 20 years old
And the people that visit this place, i think its best that i dont comment on this but if u would rarther your children grow up knowing there ABC before swear words dont go here PLEASE
We reported the above to pontins and was given a full refund and was at home the next day didnt stay for the whole break, its fair to say that they were understanding with this but had 2 b as they could c it in front of there very eyes.
WE WILL BE STICKING TO BUTLINS IN THE FUTHER BETTER THE DEVIL U KNOW