Kilbrannan Guest House

The Empire MuseumThe Empire Museum

Travel Tips for Great Yarmouth

American Walking in Great Yarmouth

by Elena_007

You will notice the flags of England in the above photograph. This is not an everyday occurrance, as it very well could be in America. I just happened to be strolling along the Marine Parade the day of the World Cup Football match when England was playing France. Not being a fan of sports, and a clueless American with regards to England's fascination with their cup, I just thought it was a little strange that everyone seemed to be sporting a flag of England. Caps, shirts, jackets, and even handheld little flags were flying about everywhere, and these were obviously not tourists. I suddenly felt like a traitor to England, when I realized (realised) that I had put on Paris, France T-shirt and was walking around oblivious to the fact I must have seemed like a fan of the other team! I quickly changed into a Nike T-shirt instead, but France did win the cup, (game, whatever) after all, and I eventually went home to America with my newly won England footie bear.

"A View From the Top"

The Atlantis Viewing Tower was awesome! Unfortunately, the cheap camera I was using jammed, and I was unable to get any good photographs. The enclosed observation deck at the top of the tower had incredible panoramic views. The cost was £2 to ride the lift (elevator) to the top, but well worth it!

"The Gem is now Adventure Golf"

Adventure Golf was closed the Sunday that I visited. (or maybe it closed early because of the football game) I just liked the looks of it. According to Ian, it was a cinema called "The Gem" back in 1998. See his pages for what it used to look like before it became a golf haven.

"The Empire Changes"

The Empire Museum was also closed when I took this photograph. This also used to be a movie (film) theater (cinema) and looks a little different than Ian's photo of the same building. Sadly, I did not get to see the inside of the museum on my visit. Maybe next time.

The Royal Hotel is an elegant hotel suitable for the extraodinary bank account. I forgot what the going rate was (I did go in and ask) but it was a little too royal for our means. It was worthy of a photograph, though. We stayed a little further up the road at a lovely place with a four poster canopy bed trimmed in lace, but I can't remember the name of it, either, and since it was pre-VT, I didn't take a photo because it was not spectacular from the outside.

"Chips are Everywhere"

If you recognize (recognise) this area, then you have been to the public toilets in Gt. Yarmouth. I had never seen a Mercedes Benz like this before! Notice the abundant space left in the parking spot suitable for an American size vehicle. If you click on the photo, you can see the DRINKS and CHIPS sign, and we are not talking American chips (crisps) and also the blue mailbox. I was completely dumbfounded when I found out they sell chip buttys, which is basically a chip sandwich. One of the locals wanted to buy me one, but that would have meant that I had to eat it. I thanked him for his kind offer, but passed on the "experience."

"A Round Church"

This is a St. John's Church in Gt. Yarmouth. I found it by looking down one of the side streets off Marine Parade. I am curious if it is considered one of the other three round churches in England. I only know of the one in Cambridge. I have included this also in my Cambridge tips, hoping for an answer. Round Churches

"A Beautiful Church"

Please click on the photo for an example of England's extraordinary architecture. I just love the details and stone work that withstands the test of time. I have no idea when it was built, but if anyone can tell me more about this lovely church, I would truly appreciate it. Please feel free to send me an e-mail or leave a comment. Thanks!

Comments