3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Ipswich Road, Norwich, East Anglia, NR14 8PQ, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about De Vere Dunston Hall

Fantastic Place - for people who can enjoy taste and luxury

by TripAdvisor Member rosieapples

As we turned off the main road onto the estate. I was worried that a low flying golf ball would clock me one,....but it was safe. Then WOW, what a building. Terribly ernornous and stunning. Once inside the actual reception takes you back. Seriously smart. Staff, very immaculate and well spoken.

The rooms were more than upto the standard of its 4 star rating. All wallpaper on the walls. The food was fine. I stay in a different hotel every other day due to my job.

i just wish there were a Dunston Hall in every county.

Very fine, no worries.

Dont visit if youve got a tenner in your pocket and are scared of using it.

Dont visit if you cant handle a conversation with literate people.

Well worth every penny. And im booking my wedding here. Fantastic

Not bad, but not fabulous either!

by TripAdvisor Member brennee2004

I stayed at the Dunston hall March 18th, and my stay was alright but nothing special. I booked online, and had booked a dinner, bed, and breakfast package. When I arrived (from overseas) and found out that it was Mother's Day here, so I couldn't get into the restaurant at all, til after 10pm, I wasn't impressed.

The room is good, lots of space and clean. The bed was very comfortable and I got a better night's sleep than I'd expected.

The bathroom is quite gorgeous looking, with an open-concept shower (no shower stall, just the shower on the wall of the room with a drain in the floor) and it is very clean.

The amenities are nice, the pool is quite lovely, and the staff alright. Didn't really find anyone going out of their way to be helpful, but neither did I have any problems.

The TV in the room is very tiny, the high speed internet works well, and overall my stay was fine.

VERY DISAPPOINTED

by TripAdvisor Member JenniEssex

I have just been to Dunston Hall for a weekend break, which I had booked for my boyfriend's 21st birthday as a surprise break. When booking the hotel I had asked for the best room possible within the hotel, which I thought I had booked. WRONG! I had actually booked a 4-poster room with the only Jacuzzi bath in the entire hotel apparently. I thought I had booked the Penthouse but obviously not, because their Penthouse does not have a Jacuzzi bath.

On route to our hotel room we had to use the very poor looking lift and pass some rather large stains on the carpet in the corridor on level 2, where the suites are suituated. There is also a strong smell, can't quite put my finger on what the smell is but if you had been you would certainly know what I mean, it lasted our entire stay!

On entering the room I immediately saw a huge join in the carpet right through the centre of the room, not a huge deal I know but when you're paying a lot of money for a "suite" you want it to look nice! Then into the bathroom where there was cobwebs and cracks on most walls and the ceiling.

I must say the breakfast in this hotel is very nice, although the evening meal was no better than the average pub carvery. The Brasserie resturant is also very nicely decorated and I some what wished I had been staying in the resturant instead of my room.

Most of the staff at this hotel seem to be extremly young, and although I am only 19 myself I would like to be served by people who look slightly older and more experienced.

You can also order the latest blockbuster releases in your hotel room, but be warned they are £8.95 (you can only watch them once as well) unless you want to have two, if so the next one is half priced, but only until noon the next day, after that you pay full price again. There may also be some films that are unavaliable when you wish to order them as we experienced.

Also do not use Bestwaytaxis, they will charge you way too much as soon as they know you are not local! We were charged £12 for a 3-4 minute journey! Stratton Cars are much much better!

If you are still thinking about going to this hotel then there is no way I would think about booking anything other than a normal room with b&b and no evening meal!

What a wonderful surprise!

by TripAdvisor Member zippyNorwich-7

I had heard good and bad things about Dunstan Hall but having had a great previous stay in the penthouse, I decided to book my partners surprise 5oth birthday. I was allocated a party organiser who helped with all the arrangements from as early as September. Many of my relatives were tavelling from all corners of the country, some as far away as Scotland. The night was fantastic food and service was excellent, what a suprise for my partner!. At least 25 relatives stayed the weekend including children which took some organising I must say. Everyone commented on the service, food, quality of rooms and what a stunning hotel it was. A wish come true in the best possible taste, I would certainly get married there if I ever get round to it!
I would highly reccomend it!

Lovely hotel but poor Customer Service experience

by TripAdvisor Member marie943

Stayed in the lovely penthouse suite of this gorgeous hotel.I cant fault our stay.Just marred by our experience on our last day.Were just finishing packing to leave when a fire alarm sounded,rang down to reception to be told,ignore it.Then had a member of staff enter our apartments and tell us very rudely we had to get out.There was no emergency as reception had said but an ubrupt end to an otherwise lovely stay.

It's a standard modern hotel with a posh front door

by TripAdvisor Member GrumpyWithAge

Manage your expectations with this hotel, it is a nice enough place, but the bulk of the hotel isn't located in the spectacular 18th century main building that features so prominantly in the publicity for the place. So unless you've booked into the four poster rooms in the old part, you will be staying in a perfectly nice standard modern hotel room, with pleasant staff, good food, etc.

One thing to watch out for, we booked in for a dinner, bed and breakfast package and discovered (luckily not too late) that despite paying for dinner, we still had to book a table at one of the restaurants, luckily, they still had a table free, though it was a close thing.

Four Star?

by TripAdvisor Member windy3

Myself and my partner booked this hotel via a hotel booking website and stayed for one night only on Saturday 3rd February.

I would absolutely agree with the other reviews in that this hotel does look pretty impressive from the outside but my view changed considerably as we walked though the door.

We arrived at about 4pm and there was a queue at check in. The reception staff were polite and moved through the check in's quite quickly but it did give us an opportunity to have a look around the reception area. This hotel is dated and needs some serious money spent to bring it up to standard.

My initial feelings were justified even further when we went into the bar area which again is very dated and has a slightly musty feel to it. Fantastic view of the golf course though.

Now to the room. Well, to say I have stayed in better 2 stars is not an understatement. The bedside table had crumbs all over it. The main light fitting in the room had obviously had a broken shade that had not been replaced. Bare bulb......a nice touch! The bathroom had peeling walls. The carpet had definitely seen better days. In fact I was scared to walk barefoot on the floor.

I think as we had booked via a hotel website, we were certainly given a lower standard room, although not at a prticularly lower price!!!

Things did improve though.......we had dinner in the A la carte restaurant which was fantastic. The food was divine and the service was superb. Nothing to fault there. It is a shame that the room spoiled what would have been a fabulous evening.

I would not hesitate to reccommend the restaurant, but would advise people to stay elsewhere.

So-so hotel - great gym

by TripAdvisor Member pkbpkb

I booked a last night's getaway with my wife before our baby is born. We had booked a deluxe double room. This was in the new part of the hotel and was really just a functional business guest's room. I can't really complain about the room - but it was just soulless, and not at all as romantic as you might expect from looking at the facade of the building.
We then went off to use the gym and pool facilities. These were fantastic - I had a great time in the gym - loads of machinery - treadmills, rowing machines, weight-machines, free weights. I was very impressed. The pool area was nice, too, just a little crowded I guess.

In the evening we decided to eat in the Brasserie restaurant. My wief's vegetarian option was very salty. I had the buffet option. Altogether I wouldn't say the food was that good value for the money paid. At breakfast, there was a nicely cooked selection of hot breakfast, but as far as the cold breakfast was concerned, there was loads missing. Hardly any fresh fruit, and no cold cuts of cheeses or meats. In spite of the fact that this was specified on the menu card, I was told by the waiter that they tended not to serve cold cuts at breakfast. Our breakfast was included in the room rate, but I would certainly not pay £9 to be able to have cereal and yoghurt passing off as a cold breakfast. The 'freshly brewed coffee' also was not freshly brewed - perhaps the kettle had freshly boiled.

My wife then took herself off for a massage in the hotel's 'Lilac Room'. It was apparently the best massage she had ever had, and she had only positives to say about the treatment and the staff.

All in all, it was an okay hotel. The gym and massage were the real positives, but it wasn't really the romantic getaway that I was hoping for. Because I travel around Europe a lot for work, I am always struck by the difference between European and UK hotels, the latter falling way short.

I wouldn't want to put anyone off staying here, but I wouldn't 'definitely recommend' it either. Perhaps the hotel is better for conferences or seminars than for couples.

Beautiful from the outside, Inside was ok.

by TripAdvisor Member Mooeyitfc

Me and my partner stayed at the hotel in February to celebrate our anniversary. The hotel is handy for us as it is only 20 mins away from where we live.

The hotel is set in one of the most beautiful manor houses you will ever see from the outside, and here your expectation are very high. But once inside it is just ok, and you will need to drop those expectations.

I made the reservation directly with the hotel. It was a special Feb rate they had. TIP - phone the hotel direct and see what rate you can get. I phoned and checked online and I got a better deal over the phone.

Check in was good, staff polite and efficient, and room was ready a couple of hours prior to the official check in time of 3pm.

We had booked a deluxe double and I was some what dissapointed. The room was fine, dont get me wrong but it was just another standard hotel room. However I have to say it was very clean, comfy bed, tea and coffee making facilities and all the other facilities you would expect. The room was in the new wing of the hotel, which many of the rooms are. TIP - if you want to stay in the original hotel building which is magnificent, you need to book a suite. That way you wont be dissapointed. I think they wanted £60 to upgrade, but I refused.

We used the swimming pool facilities which were ok, but not really as the photos suggested on the website. The pool area was very boring and could of done with some green plants or something! very big pool, jacuzzi, steam and sauna which were all very welcome! My partner did mention though that the ladies changing rooms were far from clean!

We had a DBB package and because we stayed on a Sunday night, that meant that dinner was served in the brasserie. There are 3 eating places in the hotel, THe main La Fointaine restaurant, the newly refurbed brasserie and the Garden bar. With the DBB package we were allocated an allowance of £17.00 each. With this you could have a 3 course carvery help yourself dinner or order off the menu. With your £17.00 allowance you would not get more than a main course - trust me. I had the cavery dinner and it wasnt too bad, but again nothing to rave about.

We went back to our rooms and received a call from the Brasserie apologising that they had not let us know that my parents had secretly phoned up and left us an amount of money to spend on drinks, but they forgot to tell us. We were very dissapointed about this.

Breakfast is served in the Brasserie and was nice. Although as the previous reviewer mentioned there is very limited cold selection. There are cereals, fruit (all of which is out of tins and in syrup), crossiants, and natural yoghurt. Hot food is the usual English Fry Up. I would suggest that they have a selection of 'Fresh' fruit and ham and cheese.

Overall our stay was ok, I have had much worse, but well below our expectations. I would stay again, but only to stay in the suite rooms.

Norfolk--Home of My Ancestors

by mtstranscribe

"Historic and Modern co-existing"

I visited Norwich in Norfolk county to research my family history, The Cullings. What I found was a wonderfully modern library in the Millenium Building right next to St. Peter Mancroft Church built in the mid-15th century.

"St. Peter Mancroft Church"

Built in the mid-15th Century. Mancroft is a corruption of Latin for great field and was the market area of town.

"Dunston Hall"

On the way into Norwich, we stopped for tea at Dunston Hall. Its a lovely manor house that has been converted into a hall and has an 18-hole golf course as well. It was very peaceful and relaxing drinking our tea and looking out on the grounds.

Dunston HallDunston Hall