Prospect Place, Harrogate, HG1 1LB, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Booking.com Agoda.com

More about Hotel du Vin and Bistro

A lovely stay

by TripAdvisor Member Aspian

Hotel du Vin - Harrogate, We had a long weekend at this hotel over the bank holiday weekend, the hotel is in a really good location & we really loved the interiors of the hotel & the room. Our room was excellent with a huge roll top bath by the window and a huge shower.

We found the restaraunt & bar really good, but a little pricey. You can take DVDs from reception which is nice.

The receptionists & housekeeping were friendly & helpful, reception was very busy but they always did their best. On arrival you might need to go in & get them to unlock a parking space but they always did this very quicly as we went in & out several times.

We have stayed in several other hotel du vins and always been impreswsed with the wine waiter expertise; however 2 nights different somelier's were very poor with their service and offered absolutley no alternates when asked for a recomendations one didn't even offer a tasting ! That needs to improve.

Overall a lovely stay & would go back

Moet suite is to die for

by TripAdvisor Member mamalalu

We stayed in the Moet suite and found it incredibly difficult to leave the room. Everything about the room is perfect - 8 foot square bed that you couldn't get out of, two roll top baths, two sinks and double walk through monsoon shower that is to die for - for a one off top treat forget the cost (it's worth every penny) and indulge yourself. 42" plasma screen TV, DVD and CD player. The suite is huge and overlooks the stray - got to be the best place in Harrogate. We had breakfast in bed and left checkout until the last minute to savour the experience.

Only gripe is that for the price breakfast should be included - just seems a little stingy - if that were the case then would be perfect!!

Simply the best-book the Moet Vintage Suite!

by TripAdvisor Member MELSY

This is the second time my fiancee & I have stayed in the Moet Vintage Suite & its no less stunning the second time around.
We were very fortunate in that on both occasions we were staying for 2 nights.
Yes the cost is high but its worth every penny. The photos from the previous review dont do it justice-its simply the best suite I have stayed in-it even beats the suites at HDV in Henley on Thames which we stayed in last November.
The service in the hotel is excellent & the food in the bistro was as good as ever.I have stayed in several HDV's across the country-Harrogate without doubt is the best overall for service etc. The standard rooms are also of a good standard-but if you want a real treat-go for the Moet!!

Good

by TripAdvisor Member nearywaldron

Very pleasant place, good staff, good size rooms with very nice toiletries and robes. Kettle, iron, cafetiere in the room with real coffee, and proper bottle of milk in the minibar fridge. It is very easy walking to the conference centre and the Turkish baths.

As a lone female, I felt perfectly comfortable in the public areas. My room was a bit stuffy (as in a tad hot): the weather had suddenly improved, and this is a listed building, so no air conditioning. Also, the views are definitely better at the front of the hotel. Nonetheless, recommended - I would be happy to stay here again.

Excellent hotel in a beautiful town

by TripAdvisor Member Yorkshire Aussie

Unfortunately I was only able to stay for one night on a very brief visit to Harrogate. I can confirm previous reviews that this is an excellent, although not cheap, hotel. My room was very well equiped with coffee/tea making facilities, minibar, iron and trouser press and a range of magazines in case you forgot to bring something to read. It was tastefully and trendily decorated in shades of grey and blue, with a very comfortable bed with lovely linen. The staff were very friendly, and made me feel very well looked after as a single female guest. I'll definitely be returning to Harrogate to have a proper look around and will definitely stay at the Hotel du Vin.

Overrated night club

Arrived to find that the car park was full for a Mercedes launch. The staff were very excited by this event, so my lack of a car parking space was not their concern, instead they were happy for me to come down from my room on the hour to feed the meter. I had gone to see Harrogate, not feed the meter.
On both mornings I was woken by the thud of my free newspaper being dropped outside my door (and that of everyone else along the corridor).
Reception staff?? Is this anybody's job, no one seemed to want to do it.
Gym in the basement is good as nobody seems to use it, so privacy was nice.
Rooms are well designed and nicely finished. The shower pressure nearly knocked me over (this is good) and the oversize bath filled vvv.quickly (keep your eye on it).
Dinner on 2nd night in the bistro was excellent, however the atmosphere at the bar is akin to a night club. When I am staying in a hotel, I expect to be able to get served at the bar, not to fight through a scrum of pretentious locals.
The reception staff should be told that they are in Harrogate and maybe even consider reading a guide book. I was told, having asked where they recommended for a walk, that if I headed down the hill that I would find it 'walkish'. I think she was dizzy from the glamour of the car launch.
My bill, having paid for dinner for a few people, was over £750. I don't feel that I got anything like value for money. If you like nightclubs and are not in the slightest bit interested in Harrogate, you will love this place.

Nice room shame about the service

by TripAdvisor Member h18ppo

We booked one night in the moet vintage suite at £295 room only. The initial impression of the hotel was rather like entering a smokey bar on a Sunday morning with the reception unmanned and a long wait once we rung the bell. There was a total lack of welcome once we someone did arrive and the attidude of the girl was totally disinterested. No one offered help with bags and we where just handed the key with no explanation of where to go etc. We had to sit in the lobby for an hour or so and no one offered us drinks etc. Reminded me of a travel lodge!
The experience in the Bistro was very similar with errors on the food but no attempt to take the reamining dishes back to keep them warm.
All of this was a shame because the room was truly spectacular and huge and compares well with anything in the UK . We felt that the initial impression put us off for the remainder of our stay. We spent the previous night in the large suite at Ruddington Park outside Harrogate and it couldn't have been better - superb room and fantastic friendly staff and an excellent and very good value restaurant. I know where I will choose next time!

Stylish boutique hotel, but needs to improve service

by TripAdvisor Member Lee10

This is the only 5 star hotel in Harrogate and is in an excellent location.

We had a loft suite which was huge and very comfortable and the hotel also has a vibrant bar and restaurant that gets very busy on weekend's with locals as well as guests.

We were staying there for our wedding night and the night leading up to this and had some issues with the overall service though. We had booked dinner for around 20 people on the night before the wedding and though the food was very good, we were rushed the whole way through and eventually were asked if we would leave our seats and take our dessert in the seating area in the downstairs part of the bar! We had a number of guests staying in the hotel and were also spending a large amount of money on dinner so were very unhappy with this as we were never told about a time limit on the table.

We have stayed in this hotel before and each time the front desk staff also do not seem as slick as you would expect in a hotel of this standard and often things seem very haphazard. For instance, we had problems confirming our set room allocation and some people were then allocated the wrong rooms on arrival.

Overall a very well appointed hotel with great rooms and communal areas but needs to improve it's service to match.

Very enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member Munchkinette

Having read how disatisfied some people have been with the hotel, I thought I'd write with our very positive experience.

Service: on arrival, reception were very pleasant and showed us to our room, offering to carry luggage for us. Once in the room we were shown where everything was and asked if everything was ok (which it was). The service in the bar was also good, but a bit less so in the restaurant. It didn't look like anyone in particular was responsible for our table and it was quite a long wait between courses. We bumped into one of the staff in the street as we were just coming out of the hotel who greeted us - a nice touch!

Decor and facilities: the room was very modern and well decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable with gorgeous Egyptian cotton sheets and a fantastic duvet. The shower was also great and everything generally clean (although it did look like someone had at some point opened a bottle of champagne which had left drip marks down one wall - I guess they can't be expected to redecorate after every reprobate guest though!). The fridge was really well stocked with local fresh milk for the tea (hurrah!) and other local drinks and snacks along with the usual stuff. Great shampoo and soaps from Arran Aromatics too. Complementary newspapers in the morning and lots of magazines were appreciated too. The room was very thoroughly cleaned for us.

Bar: the service was fine - it was very busy on Saturday night and we had to wait for someone to leave so we could have a seat but if we'd wanted to we could easily have walked into Harrogate to go somewhere else quieter. We're looking forward to the smoking ban though ...

Restaurant: average service and average food - not good value. My veal in parma ham tasted like gammon and the trumpet mushroom sauce on my rosti was way too strong for the dish.

So, overall a lovely stay and fabulous to see that at least some local industries are being directly supported by the hotel. The staff were friendly and pleasant too and, contrary to other's experiences, there were no mistakes on our bill either. Maybe the confusion arises when there's a group of people staying ...

lovely hotel go and enjoy it

a lovely modern clean hotel staff very nice i would go back in a flash the room was very nice toilet lovely and the bed huge and very comfortable i will bo back

Comments