Beansheaf Hotel

Malton Road, Kirby Misperton, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO17 6UE, United Kingdom

Beansheaf
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

• I have never been treated so badly!

My experience of this hotel is quite contrary to others. I had booked for the weekend of the Malton Food Festival (19th - 20th May 2012)

I will try and be as concise as I can be...

We arrived, were welcomed by a young man and woman on reception who were very polite and friendly. We were shown to our room. Nothing like the pictures. Grubby, dark, low ceiling (a family room which we didn't want) It reminded me of a converted garage! I asked to change rooms, (which I have only done once in my life before). The girl was lovely and changed us straight away. We were happier with the new one (still not as nice as the pictures on the net).

We went down for dinner in their restaurant. An older man took our order...and then went on to chastise us for changing rooms in front of all the other guests. He said things like the girl shouldn't have changed our room for us, now someone else has to to have that one...he was entitled to his opinion (we weren't apparently). I have not been spoken to like that since I was a child! We explained that we didn't feel that it was the right time to speak to us about this matter and my partner later went out to speak to him to try to explain that we didn't feel we had done anything wrong by just asking to change rooms. I went out and heard some of their conversation. My partner was speaking to a brick wall. The man by the way was the owner! He did not care about the way he had spoken to us, the way he had treated us, or the fact that we felt we just couldn't stay there any longer. I felt could not put any of my money into that mans pocket after the way we had be spoken to. I have never in my whole life had such shockingly bad treatment as a customer, and for something as simple as asking to change rooms! Surely he should have spoken to the girl who had obliged our request, not us.

We packed our things and left with no where to go at 8pm. Luckily just down the road we found a great little Inn (The Wentworth Arms). They happened to have a cancelation so we got a lovely room...amazing food and excellent service. The owners were a delight! Also it was cheaper and included breakfast (not included in our £65 Beansheaf room). You probably don't think this really happen, or you may think I am exaggerating...I am not, sadly it really did happen like this. It still stuns me.

More about Malton

Grounds of Castle HowardGrounds of Castle Howard

Castle Howard (Interior)Castle Howard (Interior)

Castle HowardCastle Howard

How very lady like!How very lady like!

Travel Tips for Malton

Only pigs and horses!

by Sjalen

Malton is a little town between York and the North York Moors national park and Scarborough on the coast. Quite a quiet place, it is livened up by the many racehorse stables in the area whilst the countryside is otherwise full of pig farms - you can easily spot them by the little round metal shelters for each pig in the fields. When I worked for the Ministry of Agriculture in York, I had to get to grips with an enormous amount of pig statistics from this town :)))

The most famous sight around here is otherwise the fantastic Castle Howard. Named after the Howard family which has also given names to the hills that rise to the north of it, starting off the moors along the Vale of York. Don't mind me in the picture. I'm only nibbling on digestive biscuits so that we could say "Must digest first!" just like Cornelia did in "Brideshead Revisited" which was filmed here.

If you want to be as close to historic York as to the moors and don't mind a bit of driving around, Malton and its twin town Norton just across the little river is a good base.

Comments