Esplanade, South Cliff, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2AG, United Kingdom

The Crown Spa Hotel
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

• “Dreadful.....and don't risk complaining!

“Dreadful.....and don't risk complaining to the "Operations Manager" or he is likely to shout/argue or insult you....and do so in front of children!

Our recent stay, with my 9 year old daughter at the Crown Spa Hotel in Scarborough was quite extraordinary.....it was so bad! Masquerading as Scarborough's premier hotel, the Crown Spa's operations manager yelled over to reception that they should immediately give us our bill (which I took to be a demand to leave) after I dared complain following a horrible over-night stay and disgusting breakfast experience. The previous evening my daughter wanted some supper....we absolutely sat down in time, last hot food orders are 9.30pm, I was served flat champagne in a dirty glass while we looked at menu. Even after a wait (due to being ignored for what passes for service), the timing of our first bill receipt proves we sat down well within time. At 9.31pm they told me that the chef had gone home. We should have followed his example.

My daughter who had wanted hot pasta was told there were only cold sandwiches available. She declined. So much for available food at “The Top-Rated AA Hotel on the Yorkshire coast.” Whatever happened to decent room service. Not only was no hot food available in the entire hotel after 9.30pm but they didn’t even have a packet of crisps at the bar.

Not liking the sound of any of the cold sandwiches on offer, we retired hungry to a bedroom which became increasingly hot as the night progressed as I see others have also reported on Tripadvisor. Why was that? The radiator was switched off and it had not been a particularly warm day in Scarborough. Very odd. Perhaps that's why we found, the following morning, that the shower only had two temperatures...cold and freezing....as also reported by other guests on Tripadvisor.

Arriving in the sea-view bedroom the previous day, I noticed a dirty teddy bear on the bed, an experience also mentioned re this hotel on Tripadvisor. Heavens knows where the bear had been. In many hotels, clean, new bears are gifts for children however at the Crown Spa it is available to buy for £9.99. I wouldn’t have it for nothing. Also on the bed were rolled up towels. The Crown Spa Hotel boasts on it’s website (where we booked) that it is the only 4 Star hotel in Scarborough and the TOP AA-rated hotel on the Yorkshire coast, which is why I booked. No top rated hotel leaves towels for their guests rolled up on the beds.....that’s what one expects at a DHSS rooming house of which there are quite a number to be found in down-at-heel holiday resorts which, sadly, Scarborough has clearly become......a relic of the grandeur of its’ past when Max Jaffa performed daily at the Spa open-air theatre.....and the Royal Hotel, with its’ Hollywood connection, reigned supreme. It was clear to me that the staff at the Crown Spa were badly trained locals with barely a clue about the hospitality industry....along with a sprinkling of rude East Europeans....one of whom I saw kick open a bedroom door. Another, carrying a tray (it seems someone was going to be on the receiving end of what passes for room service) pushed past us, into the lift, much to my astonishment, whereupon the doors immediately closed before my daughter and I could enter. We had been politely waiting for the lift having called it before this employee pushed past us.

Ignored again on arrival at reception point at breakfast as three waiters blanked us as just the two of us waited to be seated, we were taken to a table laid with some filthy cutlery. I walked to the buffet area for cereal and the top bowl in the pile was encrusted with old food. I lifted it to find that the bowl underneath was equally filthy at which point I pointed this out to a passing waitress who watched as I uncovered a further four dirty bowls before finding a rare, clean one. The waitress apologised, the only apology I received during my entire stay and asked for my room number.

On leaving breakfast I decided to inform the management of our Crown Spa Hotel experience. “May I see a duty manager” I asked the receptionist. “What do you want to see him about” I was asked. On explaining that I wished to complain, some seats were pointed out where I was instructed to go and sit, like a naughty schoolboy.

Along came the duty manager, in his shirt sleeves. On seeing his demeanour and expression, I immediately explained that while I had a complaint to make, I did not want anything deducting off my bill nor any other benefit. I then started with the shower, which the “Operations Manager” who has commented on posts below, turned into an argument. This manager believes that if you have a faulty shower it can be repaired by the hotel in “two to three minutes” and he had a go at me when I admitted that I had not called reception for help. In fact no hotel can repair a faulty shower within “2 –3 minutes.” Just telephoning reception, having them answer and explaining the problem can take that long, then you are put on hold, or called back at some time in the future (more than any 2-3 minutes). If a maintenance person is available, if he is not busy repairing some other bathroom, it will take more than any 2-3 minutes to find him and at the point when arrive with their tools, one may as well settle down for a while....and that is IF they can repair it. I see that when another guest who posted below made a similar complaint, they were moved rooms. The fact is that my daughter was hungry and she wanted her breakfast, not to be stuck waiting for an hour or so for a shower to possibly be repaired and so, following a disgusting breakfast experience, I decided to complain.

The duty manager turned my complaint into an undignified row. I explained why we had not called and attempted to go over our other complaints but this “operations manager” shouted over to reception that we should immediately be given our bill. I took this as a demand for us to leave. That is what we did so I never ever got a chance to visit the Spa as had been our intention. Possibly just as well. If the water in pools is not treated properly nasty infections can result. We are careful about using pools and only do so in hotels we can trust which is why I was quite happy to be told to leave.

I was perfectly happy to pay my bill in full as obtaining any benefit through my complaint was never the point. I had just wanted to explain what had gone wrong and was shouted at.

My advice, if you must visit Scarborough, is check out some of the three star hotels on Tripadviser as I hear some of them are far better than the Crown Spa. I looked at the nearby Crescent Hotel and chatted with the lovely guy who owns it. That’s the place to stay in Scarborough, not The Crown Spa.

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

Our favourite Scarborough hotel

A large hotel that has seen better times but still remains one of the best hotels in Scarborough. The entrance is quite grand but the rooms are in some cases in need of an update. Reasonable restaurant.

Unique Quality: Excellent location.

• peaksoft's Profile Photo

Squeaky clean

I've no idea why this has the prefix "Forte", because it's actually owned by a small private group.

The Crown was the first hotel at which we stayed in Scarborough, and it's remained a favourite. It used to be owned by another group, Regal, who specialise in ageing, 3-star, town centre hotels with character.

The Crown will never really merit the extra star that it seems to have awarded itself, as although it's been given a facelift, no one can cure the basic template of small rooms and historic, squeaky floorboards.

It's a pity that there's no real lobby area, where you feel able to sit around and watch the world go by, but it's a place with lots of character.

It has a reasonable basic café/bar, Spice Traders, which is accessible from The Esplanade by non-residents. Parking is a big problem - there's a little space at the back, but failing that you're fighting for street room on The Esplanade.

If you have a room at the front, you'll have one of the east coast's great views, of Scarborough's South Bay and the harbour.

Down at the seafront, there are lots of appalling amusement arcades and greasy chip shops, but from your elevated view from The Esplanade, the lights look great.

Saturdays at The Crown can be a problem, as it hosts wedding parties, and some of the guests aren't (I'll try not to be too snobbish here) the type of people who are accustomed to hotels that don't figure in Club 18 brochures.

More about Crown Spa Hotel Scarborough

We had a lovely time

by TripAdvisor Member Ryla

My husband and I stayed at the Crown Spa for three nights. We stayed in a feature room with sea view. This cost us £150 per night b&b. The room, was a good size, with a great view and a balcony. The bathroom was also a good size with bath/shower. The hotel has some nice touches, for example the duck in the bath, the complimentary tea and coffee in the lounge on arrival, Wifi internet, parking voucher so didn't need to worry about our car and breakfast delivered to our room for no extra charge. Talking of breakfast we had a choice of cereal, fruit, toast, pastries, rolls and / or cooked, so we filled up on all of that to get us to dinner time! . Food did take a while to arrive, however, I think we have to remember that we are on a holiday and that we don't have to have everything instantly. One little tip re: breakfast, don't arrive there too late, because it does get busy and you may have to wait for a table. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening, it wasn't our sort of thing, but we had some lovely food in the Hotel's cafe bar/lounge area. Real italian-style pizza's and garlic bread, the prices were reasonable and the food delicious. We found the staff were pleasant, polite and always busy, but very helpful.
The hotel is obviously trying hard, it needs to tweak a few things, such as getting rid of some of those cobwebs and cleaning the door hinges, the basic cleaning is fine, our room was quite acceptable, but the hotel as a whole needs a spring clean in all those nooks and crannys. Our balcony had two spot-lights which beam directly into our room, (they are lighting up the front of the hotel) from dusk til early morning, if you like to complain, this will be one of the things you will moan about. But we arn't into complaining and lived with it. The hotel comes with authentic creaky floorboards and victorian style decoration. At some point in the future they will have to spend a fortune on replastering and double glazing, but they are still hanging in there with cups and other objects wedging open windows. The only other thing to mention is parking, this is a problem. Once we had a space, we left the car there for the entire break and took taxi's or used our legs to get places. Anyway, we had a really nice peaceful and relaxing weekend. Would certainly return if it wasn't such a long way away.
Karen. Hampshire.

Sorry we had to go home

by TripAdvisor Member Teacake_Taster

Stayed for the weekend with family. The hotel is comfortable with a good lounge and bar. The leisure centre is excellent with a small but clean pool and the largest jacuzzi I have been in. The room was large and comfortable, except the bed which was twin beds pushed together as a double. The food was variable but the restaraunt is a bit shabby round the edges. They could probably do with a new dishwasher as none of the morning fruit juice glasses seemed to be clean. The staff were mostly friendly and the rooms and other areas were all clean. The hotel is up on the esplanade and we got lost because we didn't have a map, it was dark and we kept missing the turning. Having said that it is a relaxing hotel with good facilities and Scarborough has plenty to explore.

Hogmony

by TripAdvisor Member Newtaz

We found a Hogmony deal for this hotel on teletext and decided to give it a try. We paid £120 pp for DBB. First problem was lack of parking, we ended up parking in a pay&disply carpark about 10 mins away from the hotel and the hotel did not refund the money for this. Which was a bit annoying considering if states their is free parking at the hotel in it's own car park (this consisted of about 8 spaces!)
When we went into recetion the staff were very polite and helpful.
We stayed in room 103, which was clean although could do with a refurb, along with the rest of the hotel. We had a lovely view of a wall from our window. Not that we spent much time in there.
We went down to reception for complimentary tea and scones, although this was lovely, I had to clean our table and move the dirty dishes left by the people who had sat their before. In a better hotel this would have been done imediately by staff.
On the evening we had a champagne recption and then a 4 course meal, followed by disco.
The food was absolutely fantastic, prepared to a very high standard.
The disco was good too with a range of typical social club party music, mainly 80's.
Although we had an excellant meal and the hogmany package was good, I don't really think I'd return to this hotel, nor Scarborough. Scarborough just wasn't really our 'cup of tea'. Whitby would've been a nicer place to stay, I think.

disapointed

by TripAdvisor Member siYork

Stayed at the Crown Spa 2 years ago on our wedding anniversary and really enjoyed it, So decided to stay there again this year. Hotel was fine rooms fine staff fine. All going well until we came to breakfast. Firstly the breakfast was cold so i told the waitress in which she whisked both our breakfasts away. Then to my amazement she returned shortly afterwards with the same breakfast tatally burnt. (Until then i had never seen a burnt egg) The chef must have put it under a HOT GRILL AND LEFT IT THERE!! The finishing toutch was a small black hair on the side of the plate. The waitress once again took the breakfasts away and this time offered us an apology with a fresh breakfast in which i passed on as i had now been totally put off. Have stayed at many hotels over the past years and understand there sometimes can be a few problems but my reason for writing this is, Firstly how they could justify charging me for the breakfast and secondly and most importantly why they never got in toutch with me afterwards, after filling in a complaint form leaving my address, e-mail, and telephone number ...............

Great view over the bay

by TripAdvisor Member WLHBucks

Facitities were good, staff friendly and with a sense of humour. Breakfast time was always very busy, not enough room for self service. Thoughly recommend evening meal it was excellent, good selection and very well presented. We thought the hotel was excellent value for money and in a good position. WE only used the spa once during our 3 day stay but it was very clean and provided everyhting you could want. Highly recommend a visit and if I go to Scarborough again I will certainly stay at the Crown Spa.

Good sea view but overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member Mauretania

We had always wanted to stay at the Crown, as it is one of the few hotels on Scarborough's South Bay with sea view balconies, unfortunately, the weather prevented us from enjoying the balcony as much as we would have liked! We also paid a premium of £25.00 per night for the balcony, we were in Room 122, and we got a 25% discount when booking, which made the room rate £143 per night, including breakfast. On arrival we got a complimentary parking permit, there was parking in the street opposite the hotel, and we also got complimentary tea or coffee in the bar on arrival. We were offered a complimentary turn-down service at reception on arrival, which we accepted, and we had a chocolate placed on each pillow to enjoy when we got back to our room, a nice touch.

The hotel retains its period decor, our room was large, with tea/coffee making and biscuits, which were replenished each day, and the TV was a decent size. There were two chairs and table, also a table and chairs on the balcony. Plenty of wardrobe/cupboard space, and a decent sized dressing table.

We did find, however, that the room was let down somewhat by the shortage of power points at the dressing table - the only socket was used by the lamp, so to use my straighteners meant unplugging the only light source on the dressing table and bringing a standard lamp across from the other side of the room for light. We had a double room, however, the large double bed was actually two singles fastened together, which meant there was a rather uncomfortable ridge down the middle. When we mentioned this at reception, we were basically told that this was standard practice for the hotel's double rooms, and that guests didn't generally complain about it. We found that our kettle didn't work properly, and to the credit of the staff, was promptly replaced.

The bathroom was clean, and well-stocked with toiletries, but was too small for a double room, with the bath being short and narrow. There was also no extractor , which left the room rather steamy after a shower. We also had some problems with the flushing of the toilet.

The dining room was bright and airy, decorated in a clean
contemporary style. We ate in the hotel the first night, and the meal was excellent. Breakfast was equally as good, with plenty of choice, and staff were attentive and helpful.

The Crown Spa is a good hotel in which to stay in Scarborough, being in a quiet and scenic location near the historic Spa and a good beach. It is a pleasant walk into Scarborough town centre, with plenty of eating opportunities - Florios Italian restaurant on Aberdeen Walk is excellent and good value for money, and the Golden Grid on the Harbourside serves great fish and chips. The Clock Cafe which has fantastic views over the harbour is close by and serves great home-made cakes, and virtually next door to the Crown is the Highlander bar, which serves real ale. However, if going to Scarborough out of season, most cafes close early! Other attractions are the Sea Life Centre, two cinemas, seafront amusements. A regular bus service runs along the Marine Drive linking the South and North Bays.

Generally, we considered the Crown Spa to be a pleasant hotel which has managed to retain its period elegance, however, at £143 per night we felt it to be a bit too expensive for what we got, especially as we believed we were paying for facilities, such as the pool and fitness suite, which we didn't intend to use.

Wonderful view

by TripAdvisor Member maitlander

My husband and I were traveling by bicycle and stayed at the Crown Spa Hotel for one night. We had stopped by the roadside looking at the city and potential hotels, and some passers-by recommended it. We had a great view of the water, the harbor and the cliffs. Our room was spacious and clean, bathroom was huge. The carpeting in the bathroom was a bit yucky. We did not use any of the pool or spa facilities and only ate breakfast at the hotel, which was good. Staff was helpful in finding a safe place to store our bicycles for the night. We enjoyed walking down the cliffs and along the beach. We had a beer in the lobby/pub in the evening which was enjoyable. Terrific location. We paid 130 pounds, which was a bit pricey considering we didn't use much of the facility.

The Grand Spa Hotel offers excellence, style and comfort

by TripAdvisor Member mahound

The Grand Spa is an excellent hotel. The rooms were well decorated, clean, tidy and spacious. The food was well above the standard fayre that other hotels have to offer.
From the welcome when we arrived , the service from the staff during our stay and on the day of our departure, the staff made us feel very welcome.
The health club amenieties are first rate, and my wife can recommend the many health and beauty treatments available.
At the Grand Spa Hotel we had a relaxing holiday in a warm and friendly hotel.
MAny thanks to all the staff.

Comments