Scarborough Hotels

• Britannia2 profile photo Britannia2
  • Reviews: 1154

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Everley Country Hotel: Country hotel close to Scarborough

The Everley is a 15 minute drive from Scarborough in a tranquil location in the Forge Valley just on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park.
It was originally a farmhouse built in 1754 and now converted in to a luxury hotel and restaurant. We have never stayed here living locally but have eaten several times in the restaurant but we do have friends who have stayed here and it comes well recommended.
The hotel has a very cosy feel to it and the views across the moors from the hotel are stunning.
New for (July) 2008 is a self catering cottage - this can sleep up to 6 people and has its own garden , two bathrooms and stands near the hotel.
There is no public transport in the area the hotel is set in - you must have a car.

Very tranquil setting.

• Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written May 23, 2008

The Everley

• blackhawk40 profile photo blackhawk40
  • Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

terrace hotel: bed and breakfast

we stayed in a family room. it was extremely small. we had to climb 4 flights of stairs to get to the room. The hotel is on a main rd and we did not know about it as it was our first time in scarbourg. there was a street light shining right in that made the room look like day light, we had to keep the curtains open to get air in as the other window was unable to open. Then at pub closing time we had to listen to all the druk people singing and talking loud in the street beneath the window. So we did not have much sleep. The breakfast was ok but we had to rush in the morning as it started at 8.15am and if you were a minute late you had it for breakfast. The owner served us breakfast dressed in a vest. he was not impressed when we did not finish the breakfast. when we first arrived there were no one to receive us. we parked at the back and when he arrived he parked us in so that we had to ask him permission if we wanted to get the car out. it was a very dissapointing stay for us.

• Written July 21, 2007

• Britannia2 profile photo Britannia2
  • Reviews: 1154

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Old Waiting Rooms, Filey: New bed and breakfast accomodation

We have not stayed ( we live so close) but this new accomodation has had some good write ups in the local press.
This is four star acomodation within the old railway station house. The trains still stop here on the Scarborough to Hull line but there are no trains through the night and only several through the day.

Close to the village centre this would suit people without a car.
I have put satisfied in the ratings and have based this on reviews in the local press.

• Written April 5, 2007

• Sjalen profile photo Sjalen
  • Reviews: 3561
various: B &B Bonanza

Along the North Bay you have lots and lots of terraces full of Bed and Breakfasts so there is no need to panic if you find yourself in Scarborough without a booking, not even in high season. You might not get the most popular places but you will get a roof over your head and a bed. This side is also great if you're travelling with children and want to spend time on amusements for them such as the Kiddieland and outdoor pools.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written August 20, 2006

• Sjalen profile photo Sjalen
  • Reviews: 3561

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Blands Cliff Lodgings B&B: Central B&B

This B&B turned out to be a good choice. The friendly owners have bought it not that long ago and must have spent lots of hours getting it in shape since this used to be a run down hotel which was closed for a decade before they took over. I hope they succeed in keeping guests coming as the location really is hard to beat with the amusements and harbour just below the cliff and still within walking distance to the station. I was afraid it would be noisy since it is close to the main road with its pubs but apart from a few shouts now and again, it was fairly quiet and you can always ask for a room facing the yard if that bothers you. We had a room facing the street and popping our heads out of the window, we could see the South Bay panorama. The room was nice and clean with en suite and TV, comfy beds and tea making facilities. My only issue was the usual British problem: the plumbing. Showers had good pressure but the water stayed either quite cool or scalding as it was impossible to get medium. They have to work on that I think, but then again, their information folder tells you how they are constantly improving this old building and it shows that they are working on it. There is a bar above the entrance and I wish it would have had more set opening hours as sometimes we were too early for it (and it had a sign saying "open from 9 p.m.") whilst at other times we were too late for it when we came back after a meal around 10 p.m. Do ask them in advance so they know you want a drink is my advise. They also have an Italian style restaurant which I never saw open. This is also where breakfast would be served, but a stay here usually do not involve breakfast unless ordered in advance for a supplementary sum. Instead, just breakfast in one of the five (!) cafes in this little street. The owners have a dog which you should be aware of if you are allergic. However, the place is completely smoke-free which is very nice and another reason I booked it.

The incredibly cheap rooms for this location and standard is unique. I hope they can keep it this way.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Trains
  • Written August 20, 2006

• Brownosaurus profile photo Brownosaurus
  • Reviews: 5

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bedford Hotel: Overpriced and unfriendly - one to avoid.

We stayed here in September 2004 and it was a terrible experience. We were ignored for about 20 minutes when we were trying to check in, and then the receptionist barely made eye contact with us. The room we were given was tiny, with windows that didn't shut and a bathroom door that didn't close properly. We complained and were moved room but the standard was still low. Breakfast was similarly poor value for money, with a mean-spirited and old fashioned attitude over food choices.

The hall carpet had not been washed for years. It smelt like this anyway!
The entire experience was like something out of the 1950s. It summarises the very worst aspects of British B&Bs. A disappointing and depressing experience. Where are Scarborough's clean, good value for money, welcoming hotels?

• Related to: Music, Festivals
  • Written August 7, 2005

• peaksoft profile photo peaksoft
  • Reviews: 7

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Scarborough Travel And Holiday Lodge: Hilarious - if we hadn't been paying

This describes itself as something different - a hotel where you pay by the room, rather than the person. What that actually means is that it's a bed and breakfast where you pay extra for the breakfast.

Check-in was fine, but the room was ridiculously small. We were climbing over the bed to reach the tiny bathroom, and the television was bolted high on the wall.

The real fun came that evening. We returned from the theatre to discover that all of teh lights were off in our room, so I went down to reception.

There was no one there, but there was a bell, and a note stating that someone was available round the clock. So I rang it. No one came. I rang it for a bit longer. Still no one came.

I went back to the room and checked that we still had no lights, then returned to reception. This time I leaned on the bell and stayed there.

After about a minute, there was a slammed door, and heavy footsteps on the stairs. A manin a dressing gown shouted at me: "Where's the fire?"

I explained the problem, and pointed out that the sign stated that someone was constantly available. He said: "I was sound asleep."

(I should point out that this was not the middle of the night, but before 10.30pm.)

I just burst out laughing and said: "It's like Fawlty Towers."

"No it isn't he said" - then he fixed the lights, I'm pleased to say.

Breakfast was adequate, although it featured my pet hate - plastic-skinned sausages.

• Written September 8, 2004

• DOUGALSMUM profile photo DOUGALSMUM
  • Reviews: 111

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ox Pasture Hall: A luxurious oasis in scarborough

There are plenty of hotel and B&bs in scarborough, but for something a bit special try this place.This hotel was a wonderfull discovery- it far exceeded my expectations in every instance. I had originally booked from the internet because it was a good standard hotel which accepts dogs ( my little yorkie goes everywhere with me in G.B)
Situated on the outskirts of Scarborough next to Raincliffe woods it is ideally placed for visits into scarborough , upto whitby/ robin hoods bay or inland onto the moors.
The rooms are spacious and well decorated, the service is very friendly-sometimes a bit haphazard, but the smiles made up for that ( in fairness they were in the middle of renovations which was making some things a bit awkward), The food was excellent and in copious amounts- I would reccommend this hotel to anyone. You will not be dissapointed if you stay here!

The first thing you see as you drive into the car park is a "beware of the bull" sign!, this is the only hotel that I have stayed at that has its own on-site herd of cows (hence ox pasture hall), but dont worry the bovine attractions are in the pasture next to the hotel grounds.
The hotel is a very attractive building with wonderfull manicured gardens, a delight to sit out in on the strategically placed benches. To the rear of the building are more gardens with ponds with resident geese etc.In the distance beautifull countryside views ( these are the views that you get if you book the top of the range Platingum rooms),
The whole hotel is built around an extremely attractive landscaped courtyard which the rooms and the restaurant open onto, it was a delight to open your door and see the pond and wisteria and hear the swallows fighting over scraps of hay!)

• Written June 23, 2004

The main entrance

• steventilly profile photo steventilly
  • Reviews: 3247

The Royal, Etc: "Quality" Hotels

There are a lot of hotels in Scarborough (after all, it's a seaside resort) and the quality varies considerably, as does the cost. In general, the "posh" hotels like The Grand and The Royal and so on are on the South Bay (clustered around the Grand) and the cheaper (but still nice) options are in the North.

I'm just using The Royal as an example, there are several "top quality" hotels in this part of Scarborough.

• Written May 27, 2003

The Royal

• steventilly profile photo steventilly
  • Reviews: 3247

B&B Hotels: Cheaper Options

The North Bay is a good place for cheaper B&B type of hotels (and real B&B's too). There are some nice ones on the cliff top with great views out to sea and the parkland just in front.

Quite cheap and quite typical of the English B&B hotels - we used to stay in these type of places all the time when we came here as a kid. The Derwent House Hotel is very typical of the sort of place we stayed. Rooms start at 17 pounds per person (so 34 for the room) per night for bed & breakfast. You can pay a bit more for a better standard of room (some rooms don't have en-suite).

• Written May 27, 2003