Phoenix Court

8-9 Rutland Terrace, Queens Parade (formerly Phoenix Hotel), Scarborough, YO12 7JB, United Kingdom

More about Scarborough

Scarborough BayScarborough Bay

Olivers Mount stands high above the townOlivers Mount stands high above the town

The view from Silpho over TroutsdaleThe view from Silpho over Troutsdale

castle ruins above the town and harbourcastle ruins above the town and harbour

LANDLORDS

by mrsmarsh

Myself and my partner are wanting to move to Scarborough. I spent most of my childhood there and still love the place, I am living in Wales at present. What I would like to know is where I find out about Landlords as initially we would be renting either a flat or a house that would allow dogs (I have 1 well behaved cocker spaniel) All the houses and flats through the estate agents are either too expensive or won't allow pets. Although we won't be moving until next year I would like to start searching now.

by Britannia2

You could try the property section of the Scarborough Evening News - go to http://www.scarboroughtoday.co.uk/
Bear in mind that anywhere too cheap will be awful - like many seaside resorts some unscrupulous landlords prefer to rent out very bad flats to people who can get full housing benefit - therefore they put the rent up to the full rate that housing benefit can be paid on and that sets a precedent for all the flats in a town. My guess is there is not a lot of town centre property for rent at reasonable cost. You could try the housing section at the Town Hall.
Also many sea front jobs this year - amusements, fish and chips , shop etc have Polish people working in them - I would definatly imagine flats are expensive and in short supply.

by Sjalen

Very well summarised I think Colin :)

by mrsmarsh

Thanks for the reply. I look at the Evening News every night. We'll be visiting in September so hopefully I'll have found a landlord by then. Failing that I'll put an ad in the paper. Property is virtually impossible to rent here - Mid Wales, we also have a load of Polish people moved here working in factories, farms ect all wanting houses.

by Britannia2

If you are visiting in September and need a good B & B see some of the tips on the Scarborough VT pages.

by mrsmarsh

Thanks yet again but we're staying at a flat on Queens Parade.(I spent my childhood on Royal Avenue but want to be able to see the sea) I'm still hoping to move back to Scarborough - however long it takes. Should you however do find out any decent landlords could you please please e-mail me.I am a qualified hotel receptionist so finding work won't be a problem. I was also thinking of bringing A4 size posters with me when we come to put up on notice boards - do you think that is a good idea? Thanks.
carolbest@hotmail.co.uk

by Britannia2

Queens Parade is nice - the views are fantastic and there is a photo taken not far from there on my home page.
Yes you could put some posters up but I wouldn't do A4 as that's a bit big but you could put some up in post offices and so on.
We will be in Scarborough on Saturday so I will see what is advertised in newsagents etc.
Incidentally there will be some hotel jobs going next year when the new hotel on the site of the now demolished Corner Cafe opens. I would call in to the Job Centreplus office in Aberdeen Walk when you are there and see what advice they can give on hotel work - you don't need to be claiming benefits.

Travel Tips for Scarborough

Donkey Rides

by steventilly

What can be more traditional at the Englsh seaside than a donkey ride? There are 3 or four teams of donkeys at Scarborough, though when we arrived it was their lunch time. Which is lucky for Susan, cos she hates the donkey ride (but she loves the donkeys).

Do miss this one

by Britannia2 about Scalby Manor

We used this pub/restaurant several times in 2006 and were pleased but our first visit of 2007 was a disappointment (from the fading and wearing paintwork on the exterior of the building to the stained seats inside) but we were tight for time and proceeded to order.
Incorrect starters were brought and the young staff ( I did not see anyone over 25) struggled to cope with a busy Sunday evening.
The main meals are OK but my meat had a lot of fat on it and my wife's steak was a poor cut.
Lots of vegetables and far too many potatoes to bulk the meals out.
Quite expensive although you do get Nectar points but noisy with a children's play area at the end of the restaurant.
We will not be going back. If I had to say one thing that would be the deserts which are presumably made off site and frozen but they are very good although over priced.

Richard III's House

by steventilly

To get from the south harbour pier to the central one, you have to walk a way along the street again (it's called Sandside, even though here it's by the harbour and not the sand!) On the way you will see this old building, called The Ricahrd III House.
Richard III is reputed to have stayed here at some time in his life. He has a very short reign - from 1483 to 1485. These days its a cafe - so quite a historic place to eat I'd say.

Comments