Raven Hall Country House Hotel

Ravenscar, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13 0ET, United Kingdom
Raven Hall Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Raven Hall Country House Hotel

great food/location with developmental issues !!

by TripAdvisor Member ASNOWDEN

My family and I have just returned from 2 nights stay at the Raven Hall Hotel. We paid 110 pounds per night for my wife and I and my 4 year old daughter. This included breakfast and evening meal.

First impressions. Upon arrival the staff were very curtious and the hotel looked fine from the outside. The Hotel is in a fantastic position. There is a breathtaking view of the coastline where in the distance you can see Robin Hoods Bay.

The room/hotel. Check in went smoothly and then I started to walk upstairs. This is where the hotel is in need of redecoration. The red stair carpet is bare in places and on the first floor the hall carpet is old and in need of replacement. Our room was 109. Upon walking into it the smell was awful. It was obvious that it had been used as a smoking room despite asking for a non smoking room. Attempts to air the room half succeeded in that only one window had a useable handle !!. The room itself was shabby and old and as far as I am concerned needed ripping out. The carpet had stains on it and the top of the wardrobe had at least an inch of dust on it. Always a good test to see if the room has been cleaned or not !!. The windows needed cleaning and the TV was minute!! with NO SKY!!. The bed was comfortable and for my daughter they had just erected a camping bed which I thought was ok. The bathroom was fine and clean. The ceilings paintwork was also flaking and peeling off. Downstairs the hotel and restaurant were fine, the view from it while eating your evening meal was fantastic, Ps clean the windows !! would make it even better. The downside to this area are the red chairs in the bar area. They are old and have at least 20 years of grime on the arms where people present and past have wiped there mucky paws on. Time for them to be binned.

Food/service. This was fantastic, great food and service. I cannot fault it one bit. 10/10. Don't ask for room service they charge 3.50 for the pleasure!!! Whats all that about then ???

The hotels position sells itself alone, I would be prepared to have paid more a night if the standard of the room was alot better. The quality of the room really did let the hotel down. If the standard of the room matched that of the food/service it would be fantastic and maybe people might pay it a return visit. Despite it being excellent value/location somethimes you want a bit of luxury if you know what I mean.

ps there are no local pubs whatsoever as mentioned previously.

Facilities. We used the pool which was clean. The pool isn't big but great for a splash about and quick swim. I can't comment on anything else reference the outdoor facilities. The hotel does lack any sort of evening entertainment, to put it bluntly there isn't anything, not even a slot machine. The bar was good but to my astonishment on the second night NO draught beers were being served due to a bar referbishment, what a sin. Therefore the only thing available were bottled beers at twice the price!!. A hotel that didn't serve a pint (disgraceful after a long days walking etc.) an alternative should have been arranged.

Overall I would visit again IF the standard of the rooms improved. My advice is to hire out a cottage in Robin Hoods bay itself. The pubs are great and its like being in a time warp, fantastic place to relax and do NOTHING!!!!.

Hotel is excellent - room is shabby

We booked this through Laterooms on the morning we were going. The hotel is beautifully situated on the cliffs and views across the bay are amazing. Although we didn't try the pool it looked good and there is a croquet lawn and putting along with a 9-hole golf course.
The foreign hotel staff were friendly throughout our stay but the standard `laterooms' room is room number 107.
Previous reviews are correct. Whenever we stay at a hotel we sometimes wonder where the staff stay - we found out! We felt that the cleaners had been chucked out of their room to allow us to stay and decided that they had also been doing their own decorating in the room. It was the worst case of decorating I have seen, although I thought the bed was comfy.
The whole room was funny and it added to our experience of staying there. Overall the room was shabby but the rest of the hotel was very good. The restaurant had a lovely view over the bay and the menu looked good. If you are booking through laterooms make sure when you get to the hotel you pay the extra £10 and get a room overlooking the bay (as we found out after checking out!).
For £60 bed and buffet breakfast you cannot go wrong. Even though the room was shabby I would go back to this hotel anyday!

Relaxing - with drawbacks

by TripAdvisor Member AndrewPickup

Having read the other reviews, I was a little concerned about my visit here. In fact, I enjoyed the four nights that I was there. The hotel is beautifully situated, and the room I stayed in pleasant. I almost booked another night, but then thought that I needed to get back!

Criticisms, however, are as follows:
1) It is ridiculous that a hotel like this has only 14" portable TVs in quite large rooms. Not asking for LCD, but even a 21" TV is cheap these days! Sky is also surely a possibility.
2) This is used for conferences, other functions. There is nowhere in the hotel to check email or use the internet, though apparently it is possible to ask at the desk. Not asking for it in every room, but perhaps an ICT room could have a few connected machines in there.
3) My room (the Romance room) was very nice, but the carpet was rather tatty. Though I'd asked for a non-smoking room, when I arrived I was given a smoking room. When I heard, they suggested I look at the room and they would change it if I didn't like it. As it happens the smell of smoke was weak, and the room was nice.
4) I wouldn't have used it anyway, but it is utterly ridiculous that there is a £3.50 surcharge for room service. This is in addition to the price of whatever it is you want, and is obviously just designed to put people off. If they don't want to provide room service, they should not offer it.
5) There is nowhere else to go for a drink in the village.
6) I was lucky the first three nights - very quiet. On my final one the bathroom fan in the room next to me went on at 6 in the morning and was left on. In addition, the new couple next door to me were not noisy, but I could still hear every word of their conversation.

Notable good points:
1) The staff are delightful. The cleaners smiled genuinely and always said "Hello". Because of the size of the TV I moved it nearer to the bed, and it was left there. Everything was where I left it. Apart from the superb cleanliness of the room, you would not have known they had been there. I did feel it was 'my room' for those few days. There are a lot of foreign staff, it is true, but they spoke good English and were very friendly.
2) The food was superb, with the exception of the steak I had as a treat on the last night, which was tough.
3) As said above, the location is fantastic (but see 5, above).

disapponting in the extreme

by TripAdvisor Member SLSAE

Sadly this was not a weekend to remember, except for all the wrong reasons!
Having arrived we seemed to be treated like second-class citizens because we were apparently only 'bed and breakfast' this was because although we had booked the hotel via the internet they said that it had been done through an agency.
This so-called agency took the full tariff for bed/breakfast/evening meal off the credit card ( £70.00 per person per night) However the hotel management said - no you are bed and breakfast - the 'agency' takes its commision out of that price. The evening meals cost a minimum of £23.50 per head per evening & drinks, wine etc., are very expensive. So in effect thy are saying that the 'agency' takes £23.50 per head per night in commision SO BE WARNED IF YOU BOOK ON-LINE!
Also there is no automatic table availability for the evening meal and as the hotel is so far from anywhere you are almost bound to have to eat in if you want a drink ( and not drive)
All the previous comments made about this hotel, which we only sadly read after the disastrous occasion, are to be taken seriously.( It was supposed to be our wedding anniversary and due to the spectacular setting of the hotel we thought it would be so special)
The bedrooms are certainly past their 'sell by date' and the facilities are not good - I biscuit and 2 sachets of milk for tea & coffee for 2 people for 2 days.
There is a fire in the lounge but it is let to go out in the evening, just left as a sad dark ashen hole - totally cheerless.
We have complained to the hotel group and await their response.

Agatha Christie stile hotel I was waiting for Poirot to waddle down the lounge

by TripAdvisor Member Cc02

Please do your home work on the location of Raven Hall as it is out in the sticks and it would be advised only to stay here if you can drive. The Hotel is in a lovely setting right on a cliff top the grounds have battlements which is nice to walk round after a good buffet style breakfast. The Receptionist which checked us in was very basic we were not wished a pleasant stay or advised on Breakfast times. or leisure facilities. When we found our room it was very basic but it did have all the requirements of a 3 star hotel that is required from the British tourist board. The carpet looked worn and the bathroom needed updating in fact my husband mentioned it reminded him of the one his grandma used to have back in the 60’s the furniture in the room needed updating. However the House keeping staff did a good job of a bad room. Only the picture fames and the back of the bed did need a dust. I would have been very disappointed if we had paid over £45.00 for the room as I do not think the standard of room fits with the amount they do charge

The lady behind the bar was nice a little stand offish but I think that was till we got to know her as by the third night we had a good old chat.

The First day at Breakfast
Breakfast was okay but a suggest a bin for the empty cereal packets and place the cereal holder a little away from the hot counter as my cereal was warm and with the milk not being cooled just sat in a jug on the side this was not very appetizing. I declined to have a cooked breakfast from hot trolley and noticed there was a card on the table saying you could order a range of things so I asked for two poached eggs that was very nice On the second morning the card on the tables were not put on so I didn’t know if to ask for poached eggs or not.

We did book a table in the restaurant and at 8.15pm this became a very big disappointment the starter was adequate and we both had a sirloin steak which we had to pay £5.00 each supplement My husband asked for his medium and I asked for mine medium rare both were not cooked to how we asked and the sauce that was served with the steak was not palatable at all. The service was excellent and would have been even better if we had ordered a bottle of champagne like the table at the side of us.

My mother tried to phone me on several occasions while we were in our room but the receptionist kept on saying we were out until my mum txt me and I had a fiddle with the phone and the ring was switched off not that that was the receptionists fault but m mum did suggest to her that there might be a problem with the phone in the room and could she have got some one to come to our room to let us know there was a problem.

On Checking out the two receptionists were not friendly at all there was no conversation from them they did not as if we enjoyed our stay NOTHING.

Over this hotel is situated in a beautiful setting and have great facilities but the reception staff need a shake up and the rooms need updating however we will tell our older relatives about the hotel

Loved the Raven Hall

by TripAdvisor Member DIisabled

We live in a nearby village and after a major bathroom leak were evacuated here by our insurance company. I am a wheel-chair user and at three hours notice the Raven Hall made their Disabled Room available to my wife and I and accommodated our grown up daughter in a single room. They were incredibly helpful. The room itself was very well presented although the walk-in shower needed more hand rails. The meals were incredibly good, especially the vegetables. All in all this was a good experience in the midst of a very bad one.

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member Yetton

I have just returned from a brief visit, with family from overseas, to the Raven Hall.

It is a hotel that I have used twice a year over the last three years with different groups of friends or family.

The hotel was tired in places but the new owners are slowly working through and we, both couples, had lovely refurbished rooms overlooking the bay. I challenge anyone to find a hotel with better views then you can enjoy here.

The service was first rate, staff pleasant and helpful, and the food in the restaurant was as nice as we have had on any of our visits.

Lovely log fire to come back to after a day out walking followed by a lovely meal in cosy surroundings.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and things are not always perfect but if I have felt the need to have a point looked at my request has always been handled profesionally and courteously.

Will I go back - of course, we have alreay booked another short stay for June of this year.

Breezy break!

by TripAdvisor Member Annabel-7

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 day break with a coach company from Gainsborough. We were welcomed with tea and biscuits and then taken to our newly refurbished troom with a 'bay view' - just what I was hoping for.

Dinner was beautifully presented with enough choice followed by coffee in the lounge where a log fire burned. There was entertainment later - a musician one evening and a singer the next. There was also an indoor swimming pool for the more energetic.

The location is brilliant - excellent for walking (in warmer weather) but very good for visiting Whitcy and Scarborough and the Fylingdales Moors.

We are looking forward to going again.

Breathtaking Views - Hotel Tired

by TripAdvisor Member SUSMRS

Booked 2 days before travel @ £60 per room B&B - delighted to get a large bay window sea view room. Room shabby chic with tv, tea coffee etc. Central heating was timed by management, found room to be cold at times.

Hotel allows dogs in certain bedrooms, check if you have an allergy as our room had dog hairs all over the carpet.

Breakfast was buffet and plentyful, staff attentive and helpful. Evening meals were set menu and quite pricey.

Golf, gym and swimming available and grounds with seats and bay views. Hotel is remote so own transport essential. A walkers paradise, 5 miles along marked footpath to Robin Hoods bay.

Beautiful place, massive grounds, tired room

by TripAdvisor Member tripmonsters

We booked our one night stay via Laterooms after finding the hotel online. Its in such a perfect location and has spectacular views of Robin Hoods Bay from all around the gardens. It even has a golf course, this place is massive and great for wandering around after eating too much dinner. We've stayed in better rooms, thats for sure. This was extremely old fashioned, the wardrobe clanged a lot - just from us walking around the room and it was covered in dust. The bed was not very comfy and the headboard had two head shaped marks on it. Not nice. New bed covers would be a good idea, these were chintzy and didn't properly fit the duvet. In our opinion the 3 star AA rating is more to do with the grounds than the accommodation. The breakfast buffet was reasonable, however, and the coach load of old folks that descended the same day as us couldn't get enough of the prunes. An amusing stay.

Comments