The Grand Hotel Scarborough

Satisfaction Terrible

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 47% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

Lively hotel on the south side of town

We have not actually stayed here but I have answered a few questions on this hotel in the UK travel forums and it deserves a mention.
    The Grand was the towns premier hotel for many years and was built in 1863 as one of Europe's first purpose built hotels. This is a large hotel that was closed a few years ago because of food poisoning but its new owners are clearly trying to regain the reputation of the hotel and are spending £7m on refurbishment. There are 12 floors but at the time of writing I understand only 7 are fully refurbished and open.
    Please note - if you want a quiet hotel this is not the hotel for you. It concentrates on coach parties , stag and hen weekends and as you walk by the noise from the live entertainment is er....loud. However I do have a relative who stays here every year and he tells me the rooms are very good and the food good too.

Unique Quality: The view from the hotel is stunning - it looks across the whole town. Its location is also very good - central for shopping and the tram to the sea front stops nearby. A wonderful central location.

Directions: Above south bay near the Town Hall.

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Europe's Biggest Hotel

When this place was bult (in Victorian times) it was then Europe's largest hotel. It's not hard to see why - it is pretty huge, even more so at the back where it goes down the cliff side...

Unique Quality: The scale and sheer "grandness" of the place, and the colour of its Victorian brickwork. It also has some history - there are a number of "blue plaques" on its wall. See the "Must See" section for more about this great old building.
    The room rate is about 75 pounds for a double (bed & Breakfast) - and 6 pounds extra for a sea view room. During the peak period there is often a minimum stay of 3 days.

Directions: Top of the cliff in the South Bay

More about The Grand Hotel Scarborough

Worst hotel I have ever been to!!!

Grand Hotel Scarborough 18/19
Grand Hotel Scarborough 18/19 January 2005 Room 610.

I have spent most of my career travelling the UK and abroad staying in many many hotels but without doubt the Grand Hotel in Scarborough is the worst ever by far!

I booked this hotel via Laterooms as I often do after seeing the hotel’s description on the web site and being impressed with the description therein.

What a mistake!

List of complaints:

18 Jan

1. Lifts dirty particularly the lift to Floor 6 cigarette butts etc on floor.
2. Carpets threadbare in landings and corridors.
3. Hole kicked in wall and debris on floor by exit to lift on Floor 6
4. Advice to guests letter re Viral Gastro-enteritis and washing hands notice on bed.
5. No telephone in room.
6. Very poor TV reception improved by me hanging portable aerial from radiator!
7. No TV remote control and manual controls not working properly.
8. Feed pipe to old radiator streaming rust marks.
9. Room very hot unable to control radiator.
10. Wallpaper peeling from ceiling in bay window.
11. Bath very slippery no non-skid surface or bath mat.
12. Showerhead would not fit in holder, water therefore all over floor.
13. Dinner table not re-laid and dirty dishes and cutlery left on my table.

19 Jan

1. Breakfast at 08-00 asked waiter to serve me first, as I was not part of tour group but on business. After just tea I left without breakfast after 25 mins wait!!
2. On return to my room door had been left open by chambermaid?
3. Declined the “inclusive dinner” to eat out!
4. Back in room had to leave window open too hot in room in January!!!

20 Jan. 05

1. Woken at 05-30 by flapping noises in bathroom and roof, unable to get back to sleep.
2. Shower now only running COLD so had to wash in hand basin!!!!!!
3. Dirty brown stained towel in my bathroom!!

On 19 Jan I informed the Duty Manager Mr Hallam of my great displeasure and he took notes and my address.

On 20 Jan I informed Security Manager Mr Nassau of my further displeasure and to be fair he was very helpful and arranged a special breakfast for me.
On 20 Jan I spoke to the Hotel Manager Mrs Jackie Wells by telephone who whilst apologising did not offer any reimbursement or compensation!

I find the whole matter totally unacceptable and I recommend that you take this hotel off your website if you want to avoid damaging your own business.

Martyn Lewis

----

Herriot trail

by Sjalen

James Herriot, or Alf Wright as was his real name, is one of Yorkshire's most famous personalities today, thanks to his books about life as a vet in the North Yorkshire countryside. It is amazing that a Scotsman can find it so wonderful that he didn't even leave on his holidays! If you want to go for a trail in his footsteps, you want to visit Thirsk (see off the beaten path tips) where he had his real surgery and which has today been opened as an exhibition. Then you can visit Scarborough's Grand Hotel where he did his army service during the war, before setting off to the film locations. He never really worked much in the Dales, but more in the Vale of York itself and the fringes of the North York Moors. However, TV locations have to have that little extra so the beeb made the village of Askrigg in Wensleydale (second pic) the main location for filming outdoors Darrowby. The opening scene is not from there though, but from Langthwaite in Arkengarthdale. The surgery scenes were of course shot in a studio but the whole surgery set was bough by Richmondshire Museum in Richmond so that is where you have to go to see the TV set. Still have time for more? Head for the little village of West Tanfield between Middleham and Ripon as that's where Alf holidayed year after year :)

hotel needs refurbishing

by TripAdvisor Member hairwizard

ya#when we arrived we couldn't find a parking space we ended up parking on the multi storey car park and then had to move the car later on hoping that there would be a space. We did find one but it was a fair way from the hotel.
When we checked in the staff looked like they needed a good wash and iron. There manners could do with a good polish as well.
We were given our room, which was on the sixth floor meaning we had to take two lifts to get there we were not told where to go to reach our room it was like a maze and other people walking up and down trying to find theres too.
The room and bedding were clean but our room was on the roof with the seagulls which we named sidney and sandra.
The shower did not work because there wasn't enough water pressure to reach the attic. The blind didn't work and was secured with staples i could have done a better job myself with my mini sewing kit.
The lifts broke down and the carpets were threadbear. It seems a great shame as the hotel at one time must have been glorious and if some money were to be spent on refurbishing it things would be great.
The food was basic but the staff in the resturant were polite. The entertainment was very good and we had a good laugh not just at the comedian. The whole thing was an experience i will never forget.

Not so Grand

My friend and I booked in for one night only, a last minute booking over the internet. We then heard all sorts of stories about the hotel, but we couldn't believe it would be that bad and decided to risk it just for one night. When we arrived there was an awful smell which can only be described as musty carpet and hospital food. We checked in and made our way towards the lifts which would take us to our room on the 5th floor. There was only one lift working and underneath the handmade sign which said "Lift out of order" someone had written "again"! After waiting an age the lift finally arrived and we made our way to our room. We don't believe the carpet in our room had seen a vacuum cleaner in years (we jest not) as there was thick fluff all over the surface. One of the bedspreads had a huge yellow stain on it, underneath which was an old bitty blanket which was full of dust. We decided to remove the bedspread and blankets from both single beds and make do with the cotton sheets (we daren't look underneath the bottom sheets). There was a stool and a chair in the room, both of which had rather dubious looking stains on the pads and thick fluff in the crevices. The bathroom smelled musty and the shelf, upon which there were two dirty glasses. was hanging off the wall. The frayed towels, which had obviously once been white, were a grey colour and upon closer inspection had dirty marks on them. The room was so hot, even though we had the window open all night, and we were wide awake at 3.00 pm, which was when I spotted a large insect crawling across my sheet. To add insult to injury, when we ordered two glasses of red wine at the bar there was a scum floating on top! Although we had booked bed, breakfast and evening meal, we decided not to eat at the hotel so we cannot comment on the food. We paid £52 for this experience. Some may say you only get what you pay for but surely there are standards to which all establishments must adhere. After all, we are talking about an English hotel here, not something you would expect to find on a dodgy package holiday abroad.

OK as long as you get a good room

by TripAdvisor Member youngsterdave76

I booked the hotel as a last minute bank holiday getaway. I did read the reviews on here (only once I had booked - oops!), but it was only for a night. I booked a Premier room (worth the extra - see points below).

Staff:
Reception staff were not very knowledgable and we got the same 'I don't really know' response from the same girl more than 10 times in 2 minutes! Restaurant staff were hit-and-miss.

Rooms:
Our room was absolutely superb - 2 singles and a double, room for a travel-cot, seating area, twin balcony, sea view - downside of a Premier room though is no shower cubicle.
On checking out of the hotel I like to have a quick nosey in rooms where the maid is cleaning (as I do in a lot of hotels) and was shocked - our room was by far the exception. The five rooms next to us were so small there was hardly room for the double bed.

Food and Drink:
Standard Table d'Hote menu with no variations and nothing for the kids. The Menu was soup, melon or fruit juice; Beef or Meat and Potato pie or seafood medley (read scraps);Treacle sponge or ice cream or cheese and biscuits. We dined in the Premier restaurant and the food was OK, but nothing special.
Breakfast was usual cereal, toast, hot buffet. When we came down the stairs the queue for the standard restaurant was right round the lobby - again, thank goodness we had booked Premier - we walked straight in and sat down.
Drink - reasonably priced for a hotel, but you cannot room-charge anything so be prepared to dig your wallet out to pay the drinks runner during dinner!
We were able to eat at any time during the restaurant opening hours, I believe standard rooms are allocated a time for both dinner and breakfast.

Entertainment:
Comical. We had a quiz, bingo, dancing, and the in-house cabaret troupe performing. It was cheesey. Get in early as seats are limited and the hotel houses 300 rooms! Downstairs is non-smoking, upstairs is smoking.

General:
Hotel building itself is grand. Inside, public areas are very dated and overdue a refurb, carpets are threadbare - smoking is allowed in main lobby, which is odd as everyone has to pass through it to get anywhere. Only 2 lifts to serve 6 floors (and one was out of service while we were there). Both bar and reception areas are far too small for a hotel of this size. Ramp access is far too steep for pushchairs and wheelchairs. Parking is a pain, pay and display outside is busy and people sit waiting for spaces for ages - I used the balmoral multi-storey in the end, it was £4.50 (special hotel rate) for 24 hours and was only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

On checkout, there were streams of people queing to complain to the Manager about various issues - some were justified, some were not.

I would recommend booking a Premier room (it is worth the extra), and never pay full published price. If you are a fussy eater, check the menu in advance as you may be disappointed (Pizza Hut is a 3-minute walk from hotel if you are stuck, and there are plenty of eateries along the front). If you are not happy with your stay, don't be afraid to complain - everyone else does!!

This could be a lovely hotel - it needs to be closed for 6 months and given a complete overhaul. At the same time the staff need re-trained (or fired), and some decent chefs put in place. The hotel is in a great location and could easily upgrade its status and charge more!

Has to be seen to be believed!

We decided to book a couple of nights in The Grand over the Bank Holiday weekend. We arrived in the Reception welcomed by a sea of smoke, we took our case to the lift, and I mention lift and not lifts because all through our stay there was only one lift working to service 600+ rooms. After nearly tripping on dirty sheets which greeted us on arrival on the fifth floor just outside the lift doors, we found the room wasn’t ready. When we finally got in the room it was rather basic but like a greenhouse but as we hadn’t paid too much for dinner, bed and breakfast we couldn’t complain. I was most intrigued by the set of drawers, if you shut the top one the bottom one opened by itself! The bathroom stunk of bleach, I felt like I was in an old people’s home. If you tried to have a shower round early evening then you would get a trickle and the water was cold. It depended on how many were using the shower at the same time as to how fast the water came out. Early morning was the best time to take one, obviously not many people were up so you got a nice hot blast and could wash within 5 – 10 minutes otherwise it took 15 minutes for the water to be at least bearable and then you would only get a trickle and there was no chance of washing your hair. We did report this but nothing was done.
As we walked down the stairs for our evening meal, we noticed that a few of the stair rods were broken leaving a loose carpet for someone to trip head first and fall. We could tell that we were approaching the ground floor due to the smell of smoke which got stronger with each flight. Finally reached the Harbour Restaurant – this was the worst room in the hotel. We were greeted by dirty tables, dirty cutlery, dirty glasses. The windowsills were full of dust and the floor looked like it hadn’t been hoovered in months. We did observe that the staff were run off their feet and obviously hadn’t had time to change their uniforms which were badly stained. I can say that the entertainment was the best thing about the hotel but the bar had a limited selection of drinks which for a hotel the size it was I thought was disappointing. The best part of the holiday was the parking! I have never stayed in a hotel were they don’t have their own parking but this topped the lot! We parked about 10 minutes walk away from the hotel only to be told that if we wanted to park nearer and we could get a space outside the hotel it would cost us £4 per day or we could get a discount at local car parks. Once people had got a space nobody dare move!
You have been warned!

Needs several GRAND spending on it!

I'm sure in it's day it WAS grand-but it has long since had its day! Had a late booking and we were looking forward to it. No problem parking-
arrived after 5pm so it was free until 10.00am the following day, however it all went downhill after that-asked for a sea view when making the booking but did not get one. Room faced the street and was very hot-couldn't leave window open too much as we were afraid the pigeons would join us in the room! Decided to use bathroom after long journey-no loo paper! Had to request it from reception along with milk to make a cup of tea. The receptionist seemed to think I had just failed to notice the packets of milk that were provided but upon further checking I can confirm there weren't any. We also noticed a lack of hairdryer and were told we could hire one for a deposit of £5-we had no choice as we had not brought one from home as I like to think that all hotel bedrooms are equipped with them these days-how wrong can you be! There was no bath mat provided-notice on wall saying if you want one please ask at reception. There were some very dubious stains around the toilet area-I think the cleaners need better supervision! The evening meal was very lacklustre, only lukewarm, in fact we decided not to bother with it the second night and found a lovely nearby italian restaurant instead, and the entertainment - what can I say! The lifts were both out of order at the same time one morning-goodness knows how the aged guests managed, and there were plenty of them! I believe Britannia Hotels have just taken on this place-I suggest they close it down for at least six months, spend a fortune on it and then market it correctly to bring it into the new century.

Comments