Bolton Abbey, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 6AJ, United Kingdom
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel

Overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member johanncruyff

As a celebration for my partner's birthday I decided to book a weekend at the Devonshire Arms. My problems started at the point of making the reservation in the sense that every time I telephoned reservations, their line was busy. Each time my call would rebound back to reception where the person answering was almost annoyed and put out that they had to deal with a reservations enquiry. This happend at least 5 times over the course of a day. Reception even provided me with a direct telephone number which I called and again found myself dealing with reception. The receptionist would then say that Rachel in reservations was very busy and I should keep trying. On the second day of calling I finally got through to reservations and spoke to Rachel herself. She was helpful in taking my reservation and even persuaded me to upgrade to the Fisherman room. I did point out to her the problems I had experienced in making the booking to which she didn't really seem suprised and didn't really give me a relevant response. On conclusion of the booking I did point out to Rachel that it was a suprise for my wife and requested that the confirmation be faxed to my work and not posted. To my disapointment about 2 weeks later I received the confirmation in the post as well which my my wife opened. I did call the hotel but was frustrated to find it was Rachel's day off. I spoke with a girl on reception who said she would pass the information onto reservations. I didn't receive any response or explanation.
On arrival at the Devonshire Arms we were met in the car park by a porter who was most helpful. We were then shown to the Fisherman room. Although spacious the room was dusty, the carpet and curtains were stained, there was damp on the ceiling and the grouting in the bath was black. For £360 per night I was not best pleased but as it was a special occasion decided not to complain. Dinner in the Burlington was superb even after suffering an interaction in the cocktail lounge with the very irritating general manager who was trying his utmost to appease us as we were waiting for over 45 minutes for our table. Its just a shame that the Devonshire is let down by the poor standard of the rooms and the incompetent reservation process. Overall we were disapointed and over £1000 poorer after a 2 night stay. We regularly stay at Chewton Glen and their product is far superior. We will definately not return to the Devonshire which is a shame as the surrounding area is beautiful and the staff were very hospitable.

Relaxing Week-end

by TripAdvisor Member Basia5

Once again, despite the poor weather, we enjoyed an excellent week-end at the Devonshire Arms. Thanks to Eamonn and his staff we received first class service from arrival to departure. The food and standards in the Burlington restaurant were excellent. Eric and his staff are to be congratulated for their high level of efficiency and service on what was a very busy Saturday night.

We also enjoyed the casual and more informal atmosphere at the Sunday luncheon in the brasserie.

Although the total cost of a week-end at the Devonshire is high we consider it is worth every penny. After all you cannot put a price on the benefits of a thoroughly rexaing week-end.

Brian and Barbara, Hyde, UK

Waste of time and money....NOT a good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member travel_and_travel

The building and gardens were nice but the hotel is by no means a top hotel. I was there for a family wedding and hardly any of us were impressed. The rooms were out of date, smelly and a strange shape, some might call this character but it was certainly not that. They have a good wine list but every time we asked for anything they did not have it (?). We had to carry our own bags when checking out because there was no one there to do it. We booked a hotel car to take to us to the church for the wedding but ended up being given a lift by a member of staff in his private and also smelly golf because they messed up (then tried to charge for the car anyway). We wanted some room service (no menu, but they say they provide this service), so they just tell you what they are able to provide over the phone but cant show you any menu (all they havd were horrible sandwiches, I couldnt eat the food). Oh yes lastly, when getting ready for the evening party the chamber maide wanted to to turn down the room (around 7pm), we asked if she could come back in 30 mins to do it as we were getting ready, she was rude and said she couldn't. All in all, a grand waste of time and money, the bill was well into the ££££'s...wouldnt mind if it was even a good hotel.

Terrible service - seriously consider other options for a wedding venue

by TripAdvisor Member RSB35

Beware if considering for a wedding venue!! We were considering booking this for our wedding. After reading the reviews it made us a little concerned.

Then we received no response from email enquiry and 2 telephone calls were not returned by the wedding co-ordinator. We finally managed to arrange to view the room options for a wedding - after we waited in the check-out queue for 15 minutes at reception we were told there was no one to show us around and as the Manager of the front of house had a report to complete buy 11am we should take a seat!!! After explaining we had made an appointment and 'who was the General Manager?' we were shown around.

The banqueting rooms are small, dark and overlook the road which is a shame as it is set in a beautiful location in beautiful grounds. The hotel rooms are very small and way over priced. The service and experience overall did not leave us with any confidence that this was the place for us to spend a lot of money on our wedding . We have since booked at Rudding Park in Harrogate where the service and experience has been flawless and exceptional in a beautiful location and Hotel!

This hotel is different

by TripAdvisor Member maggiemay100

I read the reviews of this place before we went away this weekend and I have to say was almost dreading it. But ........

I really don't know what people have to complain about. I have stayed in some fabulous hotels all over the world and this is one of the most relaxing, friendly, informal places I have ever been.

Ok, so the room was a bit small but how much time do you actually spend in there when you are not asleep ? All the basics were there and if I am going to be picky then the cafetierre could have done with being a bit bigger so we could get 2 cups out of it without having to make another batch and it would have been nice to have the biscuit tin filled on the second day.

The room was clean (but there was a cobweb on the curtain ,oohhh) and warm, the bed comfortable, the bathroom fine. The public rooms were good and there was a huge wedding taking place when we were there but it was not a problem using the lounge except when the guests first arrived and were waiting to be shown through. Otherwise we did not see or hear them until the very end of the evening as they were leaving or going to have a last drink before going to bed. It was great to have so many dogs there too, this is the countryside and there are going to be dogs!

As a younger person I liked the fact that the atmosphere was unstuffy, I have been in places where if you are under 50 they really make you feel uncomfortable. For those people who object to the " bon homie" well, sorry, but this is what it's like up north. I never felt that the interest was forced and those guests who did not want to join in were respected and left alone. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly and the Sommelier was excellent, pitching his approach exactly right to the guests, we preferred an informal approach but the couple on the table next to us who knew about wine were treated with respect and their experience acknowledged.

I think this hotel is trying to recreate the experience you would have if you were going to stay with friends. It may not appeal to a lot of people but if you want a good time, in a good location with beautiful scenery, great food and wine and a relaxed atmosphere then this place is for you.

If you want deference then you won't get it and why should you, these people are professionals and they are working very hard to promote the ethos of the hotel. For some of the glitches that people have had with booking ,being shown around etc, relax, this place is run by humans, not a corporate machine, and sometimes they get it wrong. That is what makes the difference.

Absolute waste of money / Dreadful service

by TripAdvisor Member TERRY26

I will keep it short,as its my debut complaining abt a hotel.

pro's
------
lovely location -restuarant and log fires

cons
-------
dreadful / rude service,compeletly overpriced 250 pnds for a room which was at best worth 100 pnds. bathroom was 2 star standard and tatty.

in general a very bitter experience,to make matters worse i spoke to my parents today and found out they stayed at the hotel earlier this year and had the same experience. DO NOT GO

Go and make your own mind up!

My husband and I have stayed at the Devonshire Arms many times over the past ten years and have seen many changes at the Hotel, some good some not so good, we decided to return for our wedding anniversary and I have to say after reading the comments about the Hotel I was a little apprehensive.

I am delighted to say our stay was absolutely wonderful, and I really cannot understand why there are such terrible reviews about the Hotel.

The location is fantastic, we decided to visit Grassington Christmas Market which although a little commercial was a nice way to start the Christmas season. There are also many little towns and villages near by with fantastic 'eating and watering holes' our favourite is the 'Angel Inn' at Hetton for great food.

The Hotel Bedrooms - We have in the past stayed in the Old Wing of the Hotel with the four poster beds, however I do have to say at £500 + a night we did find these to be over priced so opted for the standard rooms, yes they are small but they have everything you need with fabulous views over the Yorkshire Countryside. My husband and I were lucky enough to be upgraded to the 'Photographer Room' which was fantastic; it I think is a newly re-furbished room with one of the best bathrooms I have seen.

The Hotel Burlington Restaurant - There were 6 people in our party and we all enjoy good food, however I have to say that we did find the Burlington Restaurant a little too much, I believe it has been awarded another 'rosette' BUT the Menu was far too fussy for our tastes for example two dishes were accompanied with smoked eel. The wine list in the Burlington is very extensive and has some excellent wines. By contrast we took lunch in the Devonshire Brasserie which was fantastic; food and service were out of this world.

The service in the Hotel was great, from the Porters greeting, the General Managers welcome to dinner guests on the Saturday night, the waiters and bar staff...... all are to commend.

During our two nights stay, there was a Wedding taking place in the Hotel but at no point were we disturbed or made to feel like second class guests, it seemed everything was wonderfully managed.

As you can see, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Devonshire, yes it is expensive but not 'rip off' expensive. We travel extensively through the world and the Devonshire Arms is of the quality of many first class five star Hotels we have stayed in before.

We look forward to returning there very soon and hope that other less positive views do not lead to other people missing out on this gem of a Hotel.

A really lovely time at the Devonshire

by TripAdvisor Member JBCH

It was with some trepidation we arrived at the hotel, after reading some negative reviews on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to say most of these are unfounded. I knew we were in for a treat immediatley after walking in with a lovely welcome from reception and the smell of m the log fire in the hall. We were shown up to our room, the Garden Room, which was very pretty and furnished with good quality materials and lovely paintings. The bathroom was a little small, but the shower was hot and powerful with nice toiletries.

After drinking the complimentry bottle of Champers we went down to dinner. Over a drink in the Cocktail lounge and delicious canapes we chose dinner. The menu is very ambitious with unusual ingredients (pickled lamb's tongue!). The wine list is amazing, you could spend ages pouring over it. The dinner itself is an experience i will never forget, so many courses with exquisite quality ingredients. Each course is TINY though, go through to the adjoining Brassire for more substantial portions.

Great walks are from the door, and after walking up to Barden bridge and back we used the gorgeous pool and health spa. The time we went in it was quiet, though was getting busy with kids as we left.

All in all I can't wait to go back, and left with a sense of wellbeing and having experienced a real treat.

Pricey...but Amazing Location!

by TripAdvisor Member JCHCJ

This cute hotel is absolutely beautiful! The Bolton Abbey is walking distance through several fields and along an amazing river. Rooms are very comfortable and restaurants are nice. Best wine list in the UK.

Wouldn't Revisit

by TripAdvisor Member J&MWestYorkshire

We stayed here in January for a Family celebration. There was 15 of us and we had a private dinner in the evening.

In the afternoon my husband and I ordered Cream tea in one of the lounges (the dog room I think!) I have to say it was quite uncomfortable - nobody seemed to dare to speak and mostly people sat in silence or read magazines and newspapers.

In the evening we all gathered for the meal which I found quite disapointing. The starters were terrible followed by a tasteless chicken breast for mains and a very average dessert. the portions were quite small.

We had a lovely time but it was the company that made our stay.

The rooms are small and I feel terribly over-priced. We had been left 2 satumas but these were dried up and so I threw them away.

During breakfast one of our younger relatives knocked over a drink and let out a shriek - The guests on the next table did not hide their disgust at the noise and many of the other guest looked unhappy.

I found it very oppressive and very expensive. My husband and I have stayed in some top class hotels and were very suprised at what we found here which was not alot for the huge amount of money it cost.

The Black HorseThe Black Horse

Flock to SkiptonFlock to Skipton

Craven Shopping CentreCraven Shopping Centre

Craven Shopping CentreCraven Shopping Centre

B & B

by streaky

has any one been or heard any reports of the dalesgate lodge. where are the best places to visist

Re: B & B

by leics

Lots of info and ideas on those links. Have a look at the VT Skipton pages too.

Know nothing of the Dalesgate Lodge, sorry.

Re: B & B

by londonbabe

Comments on Dalesgate Lodge look good, if a bit out of date:

Nothing in tripadvisor, though.

Sarah