23 St. Marys

The Kings ManorThe Kings Manor

Boating Holiday starting in York

by SDTraveler

Hello All,

I was hoping to rent a boat this summer for a week and cruise around some canal, rivers etc... and since I had never been to York I was thinking that might be an interesting place to start.

I was wondering if a) is this practical i.e. does York have river/canals suitable for exploring b) anyone know of a marina that rents boats - Cruisers NOT Narrow boats

If not York can anyone recommend a good area for that. I have already done the Thames/Oxford and I didn't think the Norfolk Narrows would have much to offer in terms of interesting places to stop

Thanks Much
Steve

by leics

rents cruisers by the day, but I don't know of any other firms locally.

Might be worth contacting York Marine and seeing what they can offer.

by Britannia2

I live locally and kind find out but please give me a day or two. I do not think there are cruisers in York - I think the nearest place would be Skipton which is about 35 miles west. Skipton is a good starting point for the very scenic Leeds/Liverpool canal.
My next recommendation would be Cheshire ( see my Audlem page here on VT) - this is an under visited county ( apart from Chester itself) and has a good canal network. Its quite scenic too and there are some pretty villages along the canals.
Back to York - I am in York at least once a month and cannot ever recall seeing cruiser on the Ouse but I will find out.

by Britannia2

the nearest boatyard I can find is in Selby - about 10 miles south of York. Have a look at http://www.bankshireboats.co.uk/
It does seem to be long boats though - I cannot find anything else.

by SDTraveler

Thanks very much for talking the time

Travel Tips for York

Get thee to a bakery!

by Marpessa

Mmm... doughnuts! Whilst walking around York I passed many bakeries before I could resist no longer and went into one in the Shambles. They had so many different pastries and sweet bread stuff to choose from! I ended up getting a doughnut lightly dusted in icing - if it's possible it was better than Donout King, and I think it's possible. So if in York, go to a bakery and indulge!

One of the many abbey and...

by Jillworld

One of the many abbey and castle ruins, in and around York. I unfortunately do not know the name of this site, but absolutely loved exploring and photographing it. What a feeling! The next three photos are of this area too.

Sainsbury's at Jackson's

by yooperprof

Handy neighborhood convenience stores. There were a couple out near the Bed and Breakfasts where I stayed. Good for picking up things like bottled water, crisps and sandwiches, fresh fruit, etc. Open early in the morning till late at night.

Guy Falks' Birth place

by northeast80

Tucked in behind the hotel, you reach it through the hotel's courtyard.
We ate at the hotel the previous night and the lovely lady who worked there showed us inside the house, the rooms are hotels room now too.

You can find it at- Guy Fawkes Hotel, 25 High Petergate, York, YO1 7HP

A good long walk into town...

by JiminYork

A good long walk into town from the North of the city. Park your car in the Rawcliffe Bar Park and Ride, but then walk to the back of this area and follow the path through the gates and across the cattle grids. Take a left heading towards the town and this will take you down towards the River Ouse and eventually right into the centre of town.

Comments