Abbey Guest House

See Amenities

Tolerable

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 30, 2004

We stayed at the Abbey for two nights in October 2004. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. The room and bathroom were acceptable if a bit worn. The breakfast was average. The owners are friendly.
If we were in York again we would probably look for someplace nicer.

Unique Quality: Nice view of the river and a short, pleasant walk from the Minster.

Directions: On the river, near the Minster

hayward68's Profile Photo

On the River Ouse

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 24, 2004

This small but comfortable guesthouse is located on the banks of the River Ouse. It's actually one of two guesthouses owned by the same people, the 2nd being the Riverside Walk Guest House located a couple of doors down. It's a very basic accommodation, nothing luxury but perfectly adequate.
My room was a single with sink, the shower and toilet being shared by others on the floor, however it was right beside my room so very convenient.
The room had a clock and television as well as tea and coffee making facilities. It also looked out onto the pay car park in the back. However there is another car park beside the guest house which you can use for free. I imagine rooms at the front would be a bit nicer as they'd have a view of the river.
The guest house is located beside the railway tracks so the noise of this might bother some people, though it didn't bother me.
Because I arrived off-season and the guest house wasn't full, residents of the Abbey Guest House ate their breakfast at the Riverside Walk Guesthouse, but as I've said it's only two doors down. I liked that the breakfast there was a help yourself type so you could grab what you wanted and avoid anything you didn't want.
My single room without ensuite was ?25 including breakfast.

Unique Quality: Since it's riverside some rooms would have great views. It's also situated within easy walking distance of most of the attractions in York. It's quite a nice stroll alongside the river into town.

Directions: Behind the carpark off Frederic St, near MaryGate.

Nearby Abbey Guest House

• Continental Breakfast
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

York Travel Forum

Need advice about York, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for York and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest York hotel reviews