19 Bootham Terrace, York, YO30 7DH, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about Abbeyfields

Weekend to remember

by TripAdvisor Member JunicaCambridge

We arrived on Friday evening to a very warm welcome from Al and his wife. Before we saw the room Al had made us aware of various shortcuts through to the main area, recommended at least two restaurants to try for our evening meal and supplied us with a map marked with various pointers. The room (No 8) was magnificent. Spotlessly clean and with so many additions that just made it very special. Bottled water, fresh flowers and all the requirements that anyone could need. The rooms and the main areas of the house are so tastefully decorated. The breakfast was superb. All local produce and "how come the eggs are so golden?". When I booked I asked for a recommendation for a special restaurant for Saturday evening as it was husband's birthday - and one of those special birthdays at that. Not only did Al recommend but he also made the booking for us. He clearly remembered the occasion and breakfast came on Saturday complete with a lit candle in the sausage! How special is that. I would thoroughly recommend this establishment and we sincerely hope that we will be able to return ourselves. Not sure I will climb the 275 steps up the Tower a second time! Thanks for a lovely weekend.

A return visit is a must

by TripAdvisor Member SophieNewMilton

Arrived Friday lunch time to be greeted by Al - the very friendly and helpful owner and what a welcome he gave us. We really appreciated the laminated information sheets in each room which pointed us in the right direction for all the sights with a personal recommendation. The position was perfect for strolling to the centre and the house was quiet throughout the day and night. We booked room 4 at the back and had a lovely view over the bowling green and beyond to tennis courts. Breakfast had more than the usual offerings with fresh fruit salad and an endless selction of yoghurts. Fresh bread pemeated the stairs as we went down to the dining room and the whole experience prepared us well for the days outings. On return the room was fresh and spotlessly cleaned.

excellent guest house

by TripAdvisor Member shimaa2

I stayed at this guest house for 2 nights during April 2008 . I have nothing but praise for Al , the proprietor , and his wife . I stayed in a single room and I could see straight away that this is a guest house of the highest standard . Everything was spotlessly clean , with all those extras that make all the difference . Especially the rose ( white , of course ) that Al brought me to my room one evening saying he had forgot to put it in the room earlier .
Breakfast was full and plentiful with a lot of choice .
Al himself was very friendly and helpful , with lots of advice and help .
I will certainly stay here again if and when I come to York .

Truly superb experience !!

by TripAdvisor Member braidylady

We have just returned today from Abbeyfields and have nothing but the highest of praise for Al and his staff at this fantastic B & B.

We enjoyed our stay so much we could not wait to write this review and share the news!!

We arrived on a Sunday and were greeted by Al with a warm welcome and he was only too happy to share all the insider York tips so we could start enjoying our stay within the first hour.

Al has so much passion and love for this city that you could not help getting carried away.

The accomodation was very clean, comfortable and the breakfast is delicious, particularly the smell of homemade bread awakening us from our sleep each morning.

Thank you again it was a truly superb experience.

abbeyfields

by TripAdvisor Member ipswichjimlee

Just returned from a fantastic weekend break in york, abbeyfields was chosen as a random choice on the internet. As a gay couple we were not sure what to expect, but from the moment al greeted us on our arrival to the moment of our departure we were made to feel most welcome. The hotel was spotlessly clean, well appointed rooms with everything you needed for your stay. An excellent breakfast was served each morning consisting of cereal, fruit juice, full english breakfast cooked to order & freshly baked bread & preserves (the bread baked on the premises). Al was most helpful in telling us about places to see & things to do, giving us a local map & pointing out the attractions. I would highly recommend abbeyfields to anyone looking to stay in york. I Hope to be able to return again soon.

Great B & B

by TripAdvisor Member tiger033

We have just returned from a few days stay at Abbeyfields B&B and can highly recommend it. The room was lovely, very clean & comfortable with wonderful personal touches such as fresh single roses, also little things like shampoo etc. thoughtfully put in the en-suite bathroom. Al the owner was very welcoming & was happy to help with marking places on the map for us to go to. As you went down to breakfast there was a mouth watering smell of freshly baked bread (baked on the premises), a good choice was laid out so that you could just have a light breakfast or a full yorkshire cooked breakfast. We are definately hoping to go back next year for a longer stay.

Julie - Newport, South Wales

A Gem near the City Centre

by TripAdvisor Member SuffolkLady5

We have just returned from a weekend in York. We were delighted with our choice of Abbeyfields, located within 5 minutes of Bootham Gate, plus the added bonus of private parking.

Abbeyfields is run by Al, who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and gave us a very warm welcome. The rooms were well equipped, and absolutely spotless, including fresh flowers.

The breakfasts were excellent, the fresh baked bread was delicious, plus fruit, yoghurt,cereals, and of course the full Yorkshire Breakfast to set you up for the day!

We can thoroughly recommend Abbeyfields, and would like to thank Al for making our stay so enjoyable.

Good experience

by TripAdvisor Member SMaior

My English is not perfect, but I'd like to write some lines about the 15 nights I spent at Abbeyfields, from 16th May till 04th June 2008. It was my first experience in a Guest House and I must say that I really didn't know how it works, so I was disapointed about some little things, such as:

(i) I think it should be essential a telephone in the room, in case of problems / emergency, because the only way to talk with the owners was during breakfast or going downstair and ringing the front door bell (I was travelling alone and, fortunately, I could borrow a cell phone from a friend). There is no telephone available for the guests, althought we can use it, if asked.

(ii) I really didn't know that I'd have problems with my heavy luggage (we can carry 64 kg to Brazil from Europe, I spent 3 weeks in UK and I bought lots of things and books). My room was on the 2nd floor, there is no lift, and people are not supposed to be helped with it. However, I must say that Al and his wife did a big and litteral effort to help me, but they were not very happy and I felt uncomfortable with this situation. I had two breaks during my stay, so I should had carried everythinhg downstairs and upstairs twice. Arriving at night from the first trip, his wife simply told me that she could not and would not help me and proposed to find for me another B$B with a room on the ground floor, where I could pass the night and move to the next day, what I promply refused. I had to insist a lot unttil persuade her that, together, despite our health problems, we could carry one of the suitcases, so we did. The second break, I decided to pay for the room for two nights just to leave the luggage and not to have any more problems. An option that cost me extra 98 pounds... But when I came back , the package with pieces of fresh fruits that I had left on the chest of drawers three days before was at the same place, becoming putrid, mocking and fetid, just because I hadn't thrown it at the dustbin...

Perhaps they could write a warning in the site - as they did for desabled people - that we are very welcome but we should pay attention with stairs, floors and heavy luggage. I really would had chosen some other place that could fit better to my needs, but not , never, during the night....

(iii) It could be nice if there was a room with internet (even paid) or a sofa to take a rest before going upstairs, to read some magazines or to talk with other guests. Opening the front door and find just a staircase in front of us is disappointing.

In fact, my disappointements are not so serious and terrible, because it is a nice place, very clean, the price is good and there is a good breakfast: home made bread, coffeee, tea, fresh fruits, cereals, yoghurt, many types of honey, jelly and the traditional English breakfast (pork and veggie sausages, bacon, mushrons, tomatos and eggs). It would be perfect if there was some cheese...

The single room was not too small, as single rooms use to be all over the world. There was a big window, light, a flat TV and sufficient space to keep all my things and feel comfortable. And I could do tea every night. But it was cold some nights, because heating was already turned off. The bathroom was small, but OK. I found a good shower and a hairdryer. Excellent touristic information was available. And roses every day, that I really loved !!!!

There is a train line in front of the house, what I didn't know before arriving, but the very few trains I saw didn't disturb at all. It is a very quite place.

Al, the owner, does almost everything alone during the breakfast and, although being always very kind and gentle, I always had to speak in a hurry with him (perhaps I speak a lot or my spoken English is horrible, I don't know).

Finally, the short cut to the city center was the best! It was so pleasent to pass in the beautiful St. Marys garden every day, very well maintened, with so many squirrels.... Really, really lovely!!!

I would certainly be again at Abbeyfields, but if I had lighter luggage.

What Attention To Detail This B&B Has

by TripAdvisor Member neptune757

We have just returned from a fantastic stay at Abbeyfields!!!
Well where do you start ?
We arrived on Friday lunchtime ,we were met by Al who was probably the most informative person on YORK you would ever care to meet!!
Within 10 minutes of arrival we had a map with clear directions of where to go to make the most of our stay.
Every little bit of advice that Al gave us was invaluable from the short cuts into the city walls to the best places to eat.

I have to say Al's suggestions for lunch on Friday where amazing!!! We had one of the nicest lunches we have ever had and the perfect kind of lunch we required as we were at J Bakers for dinner that night which again was on the advice of Les when we booked the accomadation!!
J Bakers was excellent and a must if you can get a table! book well in advance where possible.
Enough about our advice on where to go and eat as i could go on and on Saturday was equally as fantastic on the back of Al's advice again and never was it a wrong choice!!!
To our stay at Abbeyfields all the reviews that come before this one are so accurate,i have never ever stayed anywhere whether it be a hotel or B & B that has payed so much attention to detail the house is immaculate from the breakfast room to the bedrooms.
We stayed in no 9 and it was at the top of the house but must have had 2 huge sky lights fitted recently as the room was bright and airy!!
The cooked breakfast was so perfect ,never have we had such a delicious breakfast not a trace of your usual fried breakfast fat on you plate!!
As for the sausages well they where cooked perfectly never have i ever seen one so evening coloured!!!
As for the fresh fruit salad ,Yogurts,selection of condiments and the most amazing fresh bread!!!!! You will never be late for breakfast with the smell of that in the morning !!!!!!
I could go on and on about this accomadation .
All in all it was the most fantastic find and i would like to thank Al for all his Fantastic suggestions as it made our weekend in York work out perfectly!!
Look forward to returning in the near future ,i know i will have to book in plenty of time as this B& B is a perfect find!!!!

Fantastic B&B in York

by TripAdvisor Member travel_content

Absolutely fantastic friendly, warm, clean and welcoming B&B in the heart of York. Hosts were fabulous, very helpful couple who clearly love what they do, including advising tourists on the best bits to see.
The smell of fresh baked bread in the morning got me out and about nice and early, and the hot breakfast was well done.
Would stay here again with no hesitation, if I am ever lucky enough to return to York.
Location was perfect, 2 minute walk to Museum Gardens (to train station add another 5 mins) and York Minster a very short 5 minute walk away. Incredible value for money.

Comments