Alder Carr House

Micklegate BarMicklegate Bar

Newgate Street MarketNewgate Street Market

The ShamblesThe Shambles

Refectory, Kings ManorRefectory, Kings Manor

York on a Saturday only... worth it?

by europebn

Hello,

I am thinking of going to York on Saturday, October 18th for the day. Is it enough time? What do you recommend? I will also look at people's pages but maybe some of you have other things in mind.

I have read a few things already, as mentioned the Minster and Castle Museum. What else? Isn't there an underground viking tour thing? General strolling through the town is a given. Anything specific going on the 18th?

I would probably be arriving around 9:30am and leaving a bit before 8:00pm.

Give me your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers, Brandon

by hayward68

Hi Brandon,
Lucky you, York's a great place to spend the day!
You should go have a look at the Merchant Adventurer's Hall, it's a really old, unique building. It's located between the streets named Piccadilly and Fossgate. Clifford's Tower is also interesting. I assume you'll walk the city walls?
If you have a chance, try to get into some of the old pubs, Ye Olde Starr Inn, or something like that, is a cool one. It's listed in my York page but I can't remember the exact name of it.
Check out Steventilly's York page, he's there quite often and has some good tips.
Have fun!
Laura

by Sjalen

You could spend days in York but just the one is fine for a start! :-) Checking pages you will bump into mine so I won't give too many suggestions here but yes, the Minster is a must and the Castle Museum is my favourite on a rainy day.

The Jorvik viking centre (where no one with horns on their helmets get in - vikings never had that! :-))) has been revamped lately and I haven't seen the changes. Usually there are long queues and I only recommend it to Scandinavians but to see the strong links between us but I think it's been changed for the better.

Anything special you're interested in?

As for pubs, the Punchbowl in Stonegate is one of my favourites amongst the more touristy ones in the pedestrian district. Otherwise the Ackhorne in a small alley off Micklegate since that was my local - where I met my husband :-)))

Re: Re: York on a Saturday only... worth it?

by EdinburghRoc

I was in York from the 23rd to the 27th Oct 2003.
All the info I have to give can be found on my York Page.

YES visit the Pubs Saturday night should be cool !
You will enjoy it have fun.

by travel_girl1

Hi there,

I really recommend the Ghost tours or York Dungeon (if you dont mind being scared). Another good museum is the Yorvik viking museum, and the Minster is really stricking.
After all this hard work, i would go to Bettys tea rooms on Parliment street for the best tea and cakes anywhere!

Re: Re: York on a Saturday only... worth it?

by EdinburghRoc

I too liked York Dungeon.

Must try Edinburgh Dungeon someday.

I think a Ghost Tour at night would be fun they do very well here in Edinburgh.

I know one starts from the front of the Minstrer.
Try 7.30pm.

by Sjalen

Nah, the best cakes ever can be had at "Systrarna Lundberg" north of Helsingborg in Sweden. People come by the coach load! They are just as expensive as Betty's though!

But yes, I do love the Yorkshire Fat rascals at Betty's. I used to buy them as a treat at pay day since my temping agency was just opposite :-)))

Travel Tips for York

Overslept

by M.E.R.V

I slept in the coach while on the way to York and i missed my stop! Arghhhh! Bloody driver didnt wake me up and didnt wanna turn back! Good thing he stopped us in some town called Easingwold where i met some really kewl folks who showed us the way to get back! :)

YORK MINSTER - THE QUIRE

by LoriPori

The QUIRE of York Minster is absolutely wonderful to see. I must say, it was one of my favourite sections of the Minster. The Quire Screen is one of the most intricately carved in all the UK, with depictions of fifteen kings of England from William I to Henry VI, set within niches facing the Nave.
Look up where the huge Organ is perched above the Screen. Recently refurbished, the Organ boasts an amazing 5,300 individual pipes.

Day trip to York

by jduck1979

Back-pack / Rucksack / Day sack (or a coat with large pockets if it's cold enough to wear one) Any, as long as they're comfy to walk in. n/a 35mm compact film camera will suffice, an SLR even better...... 1 roll of film should see you through, but bring a spare just in case.
Digital camera should be even better (I just purchased a Fuji Finepix A345... good camera if you're on the look out).... especially if you've bought a bigger memory card for it (128MB+) - just don't forget to carry a spare set of batteries. Never leave home without at least a light raincoat that packs away into a pouch "just in case" + maybe a fleece too. Mini A-Z map: City Centre, York (ISBN 1-84348-106-5) - definately indespensible this, saves you the embarrassment of getting lost (use the Minster, Clifford's Tower, etc as landmarks to figure out where you are).
Also a bag of some sort to carry guidebooks / coastliner timetable / street maps, etc around in as I've found they tend to dig into your ribs going up the steps to walk around the city walls if you put them in an inside coat pocket.

Richard III

by tvor

There are still four old city "gates" leading into York through the city walls. They are called "bars" and at one, Monk Bar, there is a small museum dedicated to the much maligned Richard III, he who allegedly killed his two small nephews in the Tower of London. Some say a lot of the negative PR surrounding Richard was engineered by the Tudors who usurped the throne from Richard who had stolen it from Edward IV duing the Wars of the Roses. Shakespeare's play sealed Richard's fate.

Anyway, there is a small museum here that most people miss which might be very interesting.

PICKERING

by keeweechic

The market town of Pickering is steeped in tradition and has remained remarkably unspoiled through the generations. Like other villages of the moors, Pickering is like stepping back in time with its beautiful old shops and houses and warm hospitality.

Comments