Aldwark Manor Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Aldwark Manor Hotel

Wedding warning

by TripAdvisor Member C75

I recently got married at Aldwark Manor and had a fabulous day. There are many great points about the place, first and formost being the wonderful grounds. The weather was great and we got some stunning photos. The food was also fantastic - we chose to have the beef and it was very tasty. It's not too far from the centre of York or the A1 so it was ideally situated for access to guests from all over the country.
On the down side.....some of the staff, mainly on reception, were sullen, unhelpful and actually downright rude! The rooms, although well presented, could have had better facilities. I stopped in the huge suite with two levels. It was a gorgeous room but would have been better with a mini bar or fridge and other things you would expect when paying over £400 for 2 nights. The main thing that upset me a little was that throughout the build up to the wedding I was assured that even though there was another wedding taking place, the parties would not mix and the brides would not see each other. This was just untrue. On several occassions we were almost stood next to each other. This may sound picky but on your wedding day you just don't want that.
Overall nothing spoilt my day and the wedding went really smoothly with a good time had by all.

Great hotel, great spa, great restaraunt, shame about the bar prices

by TripAdvisor Member Bev_and_Mark

Just returned from two excellent nights at Aldwark Manor. We booked a `special` spring rate of £260 for two people, two nights including breakfast & dinner each night, which proved to be excellent value.

The hotel was welcoming, with our room (probably a little larger than an average hote room) located in the new wing.

Leisure facilities were excellent - a lovely pool with a jaccuzi, steam room, sauna and varietu of showers (ice blast, tropical drench etc). There was also a gym, but it all looked just to energetic.

We really wanted to make use of the spa facilities, but although we rang a week in advance, it was fully booked for massages etc. So, if you're going to go, book any treatments well in advance.

The hotel is surrounded by a golf course, a relatively short 18 holes, but it looked great and I'd like to return to give it a go.

The 2 AA Rosette restaraunt was superb. We had two meals which matched any other hotel or resteraunt we've been to. Quite modern in both decor and style of food this was the best part of our stay.

So why 4/5 - well, drinks are very expensive - a shame as the hotel has a captive audience due to its location - £10.10 for 2 gin and tonics did put us off using the bar, and the wines started around £17.

Having said that, I'm sure we will return for another relaing, get away from it all break at some point.

A haven of peace

by TripAdvisor Member Dizz

After a hectic several weeks following summer holidays, a couple of days of rest were just what we needed when my wife and I booked in to Aldwark for our third visit of the year in the second week of September. Things started well at booking when Reception offered us a free upgrade to a suite, for the same price as normal Exec DB&B. Check in was swift and professional, despite the fact that the hotel appeared busy with a conference. The suite was stunning, with a split level and two terraces , one of which had a set of sun loungers that would be brilliant in better weather. The bedroom was on a mezzanine level and the bathroom wasn't the largest we have seen, but for the price it was fine and it had the range of essential toiletries one expects nowadays. Guests with experiences of 5* hotels might sieze on small details - but none of it detracted from our enjoyment - and we have seen our share of very good hotels. The staff were all very efficient and courteous. A number were obviously European but without exception their English was faultless and the care they took in serving us was worthy of the highest praise - especially Kristoff, Jolita and Luke in the Restaurant and Ian in the Squadron Bar. Inclusive TDH dinner was as always a treat, with an imaginitive menu showcasing the best local produce - starters of seafood risotto and a confit of duck with cassoulet and main courses of a succulent pork fillet and delicious slow roasted lamb were particularly memorable. A sensible but very well chosen wine list offered a nice selection by the glass and Kristoff proved a very considerate Sommelier when my wife ordered a good quality glass of red, which was going to leave only one measure in the last available bottle, thus possibly leaving us mid meal without top-ups. Kristoff offered the two glasses with his compliments and invited us to order a further glass of another wine, of which he could assure us a good supply - never encountered that consideration in any 5* premises!. Service was steady and well timed, with a welcome pause before dessert. Breakfast was buffet service but once again staff were attentive and efficient and a selection from the standard fare from the buffet was fresh and of good quality.
Two nights in the suite on DBB basis, with gratuities and several drinks came to around £420 - not cheap by any means but once again Aldwark provided us with a haven of peace, attentive and high quality service and just the capsule break for which we were looking. The second week in September was mild with good spells, but not brilliant so we didn't have the chance to enjoy the grounds and all the facilities to the full, but staying at Aldwark is an experience to which we always look forward with anticipation. 9 miles from York means it is handy for the shops and sights, yet sufficiently rural to as well be a huindred miles from any city. There was obviously a business conference but it was so well managed that normal guests hardly noticed and the extra numbers certainly did not imapct upon guest facilities nor quality of service. At risk of sounding snobbish, Aldwark is the only 4* hotel which we have selected as a first choce and to which we have chosen to return. Not cheap but we have found its standards predictably high on each visit. I regret that other guests may not have found or felt the same - but we would unhesitatingly recommend Aldwark Manor to anyone - first class, in our book !

Excellent stay - excellent golf

by TripAdvisor Member Sandgrounder99

We stayed a couple of days. Golf course was in perfect condition. Hotel room good and spacious. Staff were friendly and helpful. Dinner was better than expected with the menu changing both days. Would recommend it and would go back again next year.

lovely countryside

by TripAdvisor Member the_beautiful_game

Stayed for one night in July. The hotel is outside York in the countryside and is really quiet which is nice if you want to relax like we did.

The room was quite bland and we had a view of all the pipes! However it was clean and well kept.

I don't think I would stay at this hotel again I think it is more suitable for golf and business people.

It was a nice hotel but for the price I expected more.

dissapointed!

by TripAdvisor Member miow

we booked a overnight stay for my boyfriends birthday, on first impressions the hotel looked great, the surroundings are beautifull and the lounges, dining room are luxurious. on booking in at reception the receptionist couldnt find our booking, we had to trail back to the car to get the confirmation before she finaly found it, we were then told the room wouldnt be ready until 3pm, which i think is rather late. it was 1pm so we went to the bar.
when we got the keys we wasnt told the direction in which we had to go and noone was there to offer help with the bags. the room was quite nice on 1st glance, but then we noticed a large stain on the bedding and also the walls, the windows were filthy and had cobwebs and spiders all over them which i made my partner clean off. the bath was chipped and had peeling paint in the corner, and grubby grouting. it was one of the hottest days of the year and the windows are tiny with no air conditioning,
there was no fridge, no cd/ dvd player and limited channels on tv.
we ate dinner out at a fantastic place called the bluebell inn. it is highly recomended, staff and food fantastic.
the breakfast was awfull, they was no croissants, cheeses or ham which was supposed to be available and a limited selection of hot food which was luke warm and greasy, staff too ages with the coffee and toast.
i was really shocked as i expeted a whole lot more from a 4 star hotel, i only paid £70 on a late deal but if i had spent the usual £170 it would of cost i would of hit the roof.
as we left we had a word with the manager who was a ok bloke and apologised, but didnt really do anything about it.
most of the staff are foreign and cant be paid much cos they are so miserable.
my advice would be only go if you can get a cheap deal. dont expect anything brilliant and eat out.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member hisroyalgingerness

Had a great stay at this hotel. They have done an excellent job with the refurb. The spa and leisure club were great to relax in.

We booked a superior through Laterooms and it was huge. Massive double bed and a big bathroom with a fair sized bath. The weather didn't lend to a balcony but that ain't there fault.

Found food service a little slow for my liking but the menu was great and the breakfast was superb.

For visiting York I recommend asking Reception about the park and ride. For only £2 each return it was really more convenient and cheaper than the expensive city centre car parks.

Stuffy threatens 80th birthday bash

by TripAdvisor Member alatbish

Nearly a disaster. Wife spent months organising a special weekend away for her mothers 80th birthday with a gathering of family for special meal on sat. Not only did my brother in law's dog die that day, England got knocked out of the World cup, the wife bust the zip on the dress she intended to wear but the management refused to let the 4 grand children aged 17-22 years and ones boyfriend into the restaurant on the basis of a no jeans/ trainers policy.

After much argument about why they didn't say this in their smart casual statement and in kids terms ie £100 plus designer trainers and jeans with dress shirts were smart casual, and at the point my wife burst into tears after having too much, the manager relented. He was very professional and gave us 2 bottles of champagne but for my wife the night was spoilt.

Wouldn't go back because of this but the hotel was pleasant, attractive room and easyish golf course.

Hotel and overall experience "Mediocre"

by TripAdvisor Member c1067zx

Nice hotel, grounds. Very good leisure facilities and spa. Food very good value, nice wine list, not too pricey for either. Poor service let it down. Poorly staffed, language barriers,resulted in lengthy waits. Room let it down, out bedding had fresh coffee stains, and the blanket underneath had the remnants of someones breakfast on it, but it was immediatly changed when we pointed it out. No mini bar, limited chanels on TV, limited information regarding facilities and the surrounding areas. Not in a good lcation for York city centre, several miles out of town. More like a three star hote, - overpriced.

Not too impressed this time

by TripAdvisor Member expectthebest

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and unfortunatly it may be our last.

Again we stayed for a 2 night midweek break but this time we paid a little more for the room on lastminute.com.

On arrival the receptionist was very helpful and polite and we went up to our room which we hoped would be as nice as the last time. (a top floor large room with velux window looking onto the golf course for 70 pounds per night).

We were very dissapointed to get to our room on the 2nd floor. The room was very small with a smaller double bed. No wardrobe, just an alcove with a curtain over it. A view of a roof and some pipes. No mirror in the room. We had a choice of having a very hot room or using the air conditioning unit which made it very uncomfortably dry. (110 pounds per night).

The only 2 good points about our room were the plasma tv mounted on the wall and the rather large bathroom.

The most disappointing part of our stay was the evening meal. The best way I can sum it up is to say a 5 pound bar meal would of been better than what we had.

I had the roast beef which was as chewy as an old boot. Naturally the waiter could see I was having difficulties so he offered to change it for me. The replacement was not that much better. This time I got a half pink slab of beef which was easier to eat but had almost no taste so I left most of it.

My partner had the venison which had the same problem. I tried one bit and couldn't swallow it. Needless to say we didn't stay for a sweet or book again for the next night.

What I can say was the breakfast, as last time was excellent. Food piping hot and perfectly cooked to order.

We made full use of the leisure facilities this time and went to the pool 3 times during our stay. The facilities are clean, staff are helpful and we were very impressed.

We possibly would go back to this hotel but would definatly not book in for an evening meal.

Comments