Astley House

ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Guesthouse in Clifton - not perfect but ok

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 14, 2012

I was very late with my booking for accommodation in York, so I had to take what I could, and Astley House was by far the most affordable guesthouse or B&B that still had rooms for the time I wanted to travel. I booked a single room with ensuite bathroom, and the price was £35 per night. The guesthouse had very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor and other websites, so I was a little afraid of what I would find.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by a very friendly young woman and the paying process was very agreeable. The entrance area of the guesthouse was not that nice, though: Very old-fashioned and quite dark, and some (in my opinion) ridiculous music playing all day long. Somehow it all felt a little gloomy.
My room was very old-fashioned as well, but it was clean. The only fault I found was that there were some holes in the pillowcase, obviously from cigarettes. The room was big enough for one person, and there were two bedside tables, a TV on a shelf where it was possible to store things, tea making facilities, a mirror, a wardrobe and a hairdryer. The bathroom was very small indeed, but absolutely ok for one person.
Breakfast is not included in the price, you can go and have breakfast in another venue close to the building for an extra charge, but I did not do this.

What I did not like was that for several days, the rooms was not cleaned, not even the bin was emptied. On the fourth day it was nearly overflowing, that day, someone came to empty it, but still no cleaning and no changing of sheets. After that, the room was cleaned every day or every second day, but the sheets were only changed once during my stay of nine nights.

One complain I read often about this guesthouse is that there is no staff to talk to - this is wrong, though. During my stay, the young woman always was in a small room close to the reception area and there is a bell so you can call her. She is not visible, but she is there, and when I called her, she always came very quickly.
Another complaint on TA was that the road is too loud and people couldn't sleep - yes, I used earplugs most of the time, but using those I did not have any problems. It is a usual road, not an Autobahn!

The guesthouse is located in the suburb of Clifton, it is a walk of about fifteen to twenty minutes to the city centre, around ten to the next supermarket. The walk is a nice one along Bootham, passing many pretty houses, a church and a historic school, so I did not mind it at all. But if you prefer to stay in the midst of things, this will not be to your liking.

Altogether, I must say that this would not be my first choice on a future trip to York, simply because of the gloomy atmosphere and the cleaning, but it was ok for my trip because I was happy to find affordable accommodation at all, and all the basic things I needed were provided. And if I was in the situation again and all other choices were already full, I would go there again, yes!

Directions: Northwest of the town centre in the suburb of Clifton

Nearby Astley House

Amenities at Astley House

• Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

York Travel Forum

Need advice about York, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for York and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest York hotel reviews