Avondale House

Booking.com Official Site Priceline.com

More about Avondale House

A Singles Accommodations

by TripAdvisor Member otter941

I am a traveling Single, and Avondale offered a nice, compact room with en-suite shower/toilet for £34 per night. Good rate for the location and the experience of the Hostess and her saff. The bed was a twin sized bed, with duvet and plenty of pillows. Room comes with TV and stereo, for playing any CD's you may have brought along. It was a bit tight, but if you only need a comfortable place to sleep at night and will be spending most of your time away, it's very adequate. Other rooms have larger accommodations, but were not available for my viewing.

Avondale is a moderate, downhill walk of approx. 20 minutes from the Train Station, but if you have either large or heavy luggage, best to use a cab, which is only £3 or £4. The sign outside is a bit hard to see, so best to arrive in daylight.

Morning Breakfast was smashing and is arranged by the Guest's making their requests the night before, using marker pens and menu cards. Special diets can be accommodated, such as Vegan; but best to check with Carole ahead of time. Cheery atmosphere and wonderfully soothing music during the meals.

You can easily reach central York; the Minster; Clifford's Tower; the York Museums; and get to the walls of the City; and other central sites in an easy 15-20 min. walk. The local merchants offer a variety of restaurant opportunities ranging from 'Pub Grub' to fine Fr. and Italian cusine. There are conveience stores and fresh produce stores within 2 blocks.

No Phones in the room; no internet access; just plenty of quiet at night. Carole caters to her guests with plenty of information on local sites and was most helpful and knowledgable about local history. Ask about local ghost stories.

Felt Like We Where Staying With Family.

We went to York for the weekend with our friends to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary and felt that we were staying with family. Carol has a lovely clean and comfortable guest house and she and her staff made us feel very welcome. Thankyou xx

Friendly and relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member fruitcat

I stayed for two nights on my own and was warmly welcomed by the owner, Carole. My room was clean and had fresh flowers - I really appreciated the attention to detail. The breakfast in the morning was fabulous - I am vegetarian and was brilliantly catered for - as well as offering a veggie cooked breakfast, all the other other breakfasts could be adapted for me. I was really impressed by the level of hospitality I received and would definitely stay here again.

disapointing

overall we were disapointed. room in attic and quite small, decor bit fussy as was owner although she was very friendly. food nice. location could have been a bit better. have stayed at other top rated b&bs in york on tripadvisor and had much better. maybe we were just unlucky.

We'll be back

We stayed at the Avondale Guest House last November for the third time. Yet again, we were made to feel extremely welcome by Carole and her staff. Our rooms were warm, clean and comfortable. There are some nice home comforts like a cd player and cds in the room, and toys for children staying in the family room (my 2 year old niece loved Spike the dog!). The breakfasts were very filling and we didn't need anything else to eat until around 4pm in the afternoon.
We have already booked to stay again this November, except this time there will be 9 of us staying!

Cosy Little Room

Loved the Avondale Guest House run by Carole Kaleda. Everything was very clean and tidy. We stayed in Primrose which was very small but really cosy and sweet (the bed was so comfy) and ideal for a few days away. The staff of the Avondale are very friendly and knowledgeable about the surrounding area. If you stay here you have to visit the Lal Quilla (Indian Restaurant) it is literally down the road from the guest house and is absoloutely gorgeous and unbeleivably cheap. The food was the best Indian we have ever had and the staff were fantastic. The Avondale is just a short walk from the city centre so is perfectly placed. Breakfast was lovely but I never managed to eat even half because there was so much.

Thanks for a lovely stay Carole.

Michelle and James

Carole realy makes you welcome, very friendly staff, food excellent

The Guest House is very clean and welcoming.
Carole does everthing she can to make you feel welcome, including chilling your wine.
Fresh flowers in the bedrooms is a lovely touch.
Breakfasts out of this world.
Avondale is idealy situated for York centre and the racecourse both withing very short walking distance so you can leave the car and have a drink.

Lovely weekend break

My wife and I stayed at the Avondale and we were warmly welcomed by Carole. The room was clean and comfortable with Ensuite facilities. The brekfasts were superb and the staff all friendly. I would recommend this B&B to my friends.

Big Brekkie

Just returned from a superb two day break in York.
If you want a good host with a very friendly manner, look no further than the Avondale Guest House.
Rooms compact but very comfortable (especially the bed )but the best bit about this place is the Breakfast, i guarentee you will not need to eat again until well into the afternoon.
Carole, you have been warned, we will be back.

Good location and great breakfast

Lovely place, good location only 10 mins walk from city centre with good pub - Swan a few minutes away. Great choice at breakfast and huge portions.

Comments