Barbican House

20 Barbican Road, York, YO10 5AA, United Kingdom

Official Site

• CarlP17's Profile Photo

Terrible Customer Experience

I picked this place for a special night in york for my girl friend birthday. We paid £105 for one night in a superior/luxury room.
    This place looked great on the pictures but don't the fooled it's right next on a main road, it is effectively a townhouse and the rooms are very small.
    I picked this place because it looked like a higher end guest house indeed it states it is 4 stars. Therefore a level of service is implied.
    On the morning of our checkout we requested an iron. We were told then that due to guests damaging the furniture we were not aloud an iron in our room and that if we wanted one we would have to wait until after breakfast was served and the dining room was cleared at around 10.30 and we could do our ironing in the dining room.
    Appart front the off hand insinuation that we would damage the room, we explained that we had to go to work and that we we not aware of the Non-iron policy on the room prior. Alas this was to no avail, and we were curtly reminded about their policy, and we resigned ourselves to having to leave for work in crumpled shirt and suits.
    Upon Paying at check out i decided to bring the issue up with Alan.
    I simply told him that i felt that if a guest asks for an iron and is in clear need than that request should be granted. The response i got was unapologetic;
    "Well, you could have done it last night couldn't you!?'
    Then from around the corner i herd Ann calling " And anyway YOU inconvienienced the other guests by changing you breakfast time! WE had to ask another guest to change breakfast time! "
    I have no idea what this had to do with "Irongate" , but the whole iron issue then went out of the window from there. I could not quite believe what i was hearing. I wanted to utter the immortal words
    'i have never been so insulated... but thought better of it, and left. However the truth is i have not ever been made to feel so unwelcome in a guest house or other. Ive had better service in a public toilet. Most of our admittedly short experience was with Ann - we found her to be cold un-personabble awkward, just unfriendly through out. I wasn't looking for much, at first a smile, a warm welcome, then later an apology for the inconvenience a bit of apathy for the situation? Not a chance. As i was leaving Ann proclaimed "i told you, there's no point talking to THEM..."

In Conclusion-Unforgivably poor customer service lead by a pair argumentative, inflexible, miserable proprietors. The place is run like a museum where guests are an inconvenience.
    I am so sorry i picked this place to stay.
    AVOID

Stayed July 2012

Unique Quality: Miserable owners

A look at breakfast...

This was one of the best traditional English breakfasts I had on our May 2004 trip--those links in the picture are veggie sausages--delicious!

A look inside...

Here is a view of my room at the Barbican House--very cozy! This was on the 2nd floor (American 3rd), the very top--and worth the climb with luggage! :)

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Great location, beautiful 5-star B&B!

Hosts: Adrian and Ann --sweet couple, very knowledgeable about city and eager to help!
    Setting: Barbican Road, adjacent the ring road around the city walls
    Amenities: all en-suite with lovely bathrooms; beautiful interior decorating with great, soothing colors; spotless furnishings; candy bars and tea service in the rooms; yummy English breakfast fully cooked to order.

Unique Quality: One of the rooms (the one in which I stayed) had a lovely view over the city walls to York Minster. All are double glazed so that traffic noise is minimal. However, the sun rises around 4:30 AM in the summer, so if you don't like light while you're sleeping, you may want to bring an eye cover, since the drapes aren't completely opaque.

Directions: Just outside Walmgate Bar on Barbican Road (about 15-20 minute walk from train station).

Comments