Duncombe Place, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 2EF, United Kingdom

BEST WESTERN PLUS Dean Court Hotel
Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

Dean Court

One of of York's best situated hotels - virtually opposite the Minster and not far from the main tourist sites.
    With living locally I have no requirement to stay here but here is a photo of the Dean Court.If you're staying at the Dean Court however you won't even have to put your coat on to go to dinner, as one of York's finest restaurants is just downstairs. Chef Andrew Bingham is renowned across Yorkshire for his innovative cooking of the choicest local produce. The added extra is a front row seat to the night illuminations of York Minster - a gob-smacking backdrop to the truly top-class food. There's a hint of Far Eastern fusion in dishes like the lamb in claret sauce (£18.25) or the roasted monkfish with mussels and scallops (£17.50). Plus, there's a lovingly compiled wine list. (Taken from Virgin Train city guide).

More about Best Western Dean Court Hotel

Dean Court Hotel, York - a perfect choice

We booked the Dean Court Hotel for a birthday weekend break based mainly on its central location. We were not disappointed, it was a perfect choice - it's close to the main shopping area as well as the "sights" of York, so once the car had been whisked away for valet parking we were able to reach everywhere we wanted to visit on foot. We had a superior double which was very comfortable - not huge, but clean and well equipped. The view onto the Minster was superb and made even more magical to see it as the snow fell.
The staff were without exception friendly and helpful and we certainly had no problems with anyone not having an excellent command of English. The breakfast choice was extensive enough to meet all tastes and served promptly. No problems getting extra toast, tea and marmalade.
I loved York - I don't know why I have waited so long to visit it! Steeped in history, huge choice of restaurants and cafes and if you can shop till you drop then a visit to the Designer Outlet shops on the edge of the city is definitely unmissable.

Fantastic Location

by TripAdvisor Member janices7

The location of this hotel is superb - directly opposite the York Minster and right around the corner from great shopping and restaurants on the pedestrian streets of York. You really couldn't ask for a better location. Our room was at the front of the building looking out at York Minster. The room had been redecorated, but the décor was very modern and not suited to my tastes, but I'm sure some folks like that sort of thing. The room was large as was the bathroom. It was clean which was great. The restaurant food was pretty good, but the service was just OK. The valet parking staff was quick and responsive.

Functional

by TripAdvisor Member GoldieLox43

Superb location; wonderful, helpful, polite, smiling, efficient and approachable, high quality staff (Receptionist and Porter in particular) who are let down by poor design in a soul-less hotel with no fixed 'style'. Contemporary is in no way (not even nearly) achieved, for example (otherwise there would not be wide striped wall paper in the newly refurbished bedrooms for one thing - ugh). The older decorated bedrooms have some character and beautiful chandeliers. The tiny bar area is in a corridor and one almost feels in the way. We did not try the food, other than breaky which was divine and which we took in our room facing York Minster, but the restaurant appeared popular with mature, obviously regular (possibly local?) guests.
The superior double bedroom was over heated in January due to central heating pipes that run underneath it (we were advised). We had to sleep with the windows open and fan on and we were glad to get outside, as the heat made us feel quite ill. We understand however that this is not a problem in all rooms, nor in the summer when the heating is off.
Serious design and planning advice, space in public areas, a nucleus/heart/some character, leisure facilities (which would help a lot in this case), quality fittings and improved (subtle) lighting are definately required, in my humble opinion. Who designed the toilet roll holder to be close to the tiled floor in the bathroom? Amazing.
I think Great Western are greedy for room space and the revenue this provides for them, with not enough consideration for the overall experience of their clientelle. I would not return, unless I needed to be York central. Great Western should take note of their (stiff) competition in order to compete and remain boyant.
Head left as you exit, for bars, and restaurants.
The shopping is very good in either direction.
Leave York early enough, as the Midlands traffic is nothing by comparison!
York is certainly a city...........
York Minster - The audio accompaniment is very confusing and rather spoils the experience but there's some enchanting choral music at the end. Don't be put off if you wish to join Evensong... you go ahead. It's not a private club! Smile and enjoy yourself (God doesn't mind)!

Fantastic location

by TripAdvisor Member duggles

Wonderful location, extremely helpful staff.
Rooms comfortable, decor ok in most areas obviously upgrading continues!
breakfasts and evening meal absolutely delicious.
loved hearing the bells from the Minster.
Drunks at night could be noisy in street around hotel, don't think there is much they could do about that though!

5 Star Location, Wine, Food & staff!!!

by TripAdvisor Member MelBCheshire

"My boyfriend booked a surprise weekend get away a few months back at the Dean Court & it was so lovely he ended up proposing!

Although he hadn't used Trip Advisor before the feedback on the Dean Court was generally excellent so he decided to pick this hotel for this very special occasion & we weren't disappointed!

The view of York Minister from our room was breathtaking & during a special bottle of vintage champagne (which I believe the hotel had helped out with!) he popped the question!

The hotel has been totally transformed from when I popped in for a drink a few years back. Then it was a cosy-chintzy type place but very nice (hence going back there!). Since then it has been transformed to an amazingly chic film star setting. There is a really futuristic reception area which flows into an uber cool bar area & a stunning restaurant. I felt like a bond girl! Completely whisked away to jet set living!

Our Superior Double room had fresh fruit, bathrobes and loads of little touches that we felt showed they cared. Not cheap but we both felt it was extremely good value.

They have loads of great gizmo's too like LCD TV's, DVd's etc. My fiancee used their Wifi system too which wasn't included but you couldn't grumble at about £5 for 24 hours.

It was a great bustling atmosphere being right in the heart of the city, (some might say a little noisier than they would like,) but I loved being part of the buzz & I was having such a good time I didn't really notice!

One thing we will always remember was the kindness of the staff. They went out of their way to make our stay perfect & nothing was too much trouble! I also didn't think that is was just because they knew it was a special occassion for us, because we saw them being just as kind and helpful to other guests. Like all places these days they had different nationalities in all depts but they were impeccably trained & extremely knowledgeable & I think they are teaching british staff a thing or too about service! Whatever, the service was really first class and everyone made us feel like royalty!. We both eat out a lot so tried their new Court Cafe-Bistro one night (fantastic) and the DCH Restaurant another (really was stunning). They had terrifically devised menus & an incredible selection of wines by the glass which was right up our street! If we'd not been so close to all the riverside bars and York nightlife we'd have happily eaten in all three nights.

We had the best weekend ever & could highly recommend the Dean Court to anyone whatever you have planned!"

Must be the best place to stay in York

I checked Trip Advisor before I booked this hotel for a short post Easter break and I wasn't disappointed. We'd go back there like a shot.

The location is unbeatable - The Minster is right outside the door and we loved seeing it in different lights at different times of day whenever we looked out of the windows or left the hotel. Sometimes we would walk back from a dinner in the town listening to the bells (but no, you can't hear them in the rooms - the sound proofing is perfect). All the main attractions of York are just an short amble away.

The hotel itself is very chic and comfortable. Lots of contemporary grey and beige and chocolate. Someone has taken trouble to source interesting furniture and fittings rather than bland corporate stuff. The staff are lovely - lively and helpful and completely natural in their manner. Our room was a "standard" double but no way did we feel we were in the "budget range" accommodation. We had a flat screen TV, a sparkling bathroom, a large comfortable bed and plenty of room to move around in.

We ate out both nights, but wished we had tried the hotel restaurant after one disappointing meal in the town - we will next time. Breakfast was sumptuous and there was lots of choice. It wasn't cheap, but neither was it expensive. A pre-dinner glass of champagne in the bar cost a lot less than it does in London - and it was served with much more enthusiasm too.

And I Would STILL Return1

by TripAdvisor Member lightbreadman

The staff were far too polite to confirm this, but my suite must have been home to The Family From Hell the night before my arrival. On an unusually hot day, the fan in the room was broken. One TV remote didn't work and the other was missing. And one of the sofa cushions was soaked completely through. i don't even want to think about how that might have happened. Despite all that, I'd gladly stay at this hotel again. The staff took immediate action to remedy the problems as much as possible and sent up a bottle of wine with a personal note from the manager on duty. That's really all you can ask. The rooms are comfotable and, as others have noted, the location is remarkable.

"The Bells, The Bells" - I did'nt hear them...

by TripAdvisor Member Spaldingglobetrotter

This was my first stay in York for many years and I was pleasantly surprised by the peaceful location of this hotel even though it is only steps from the Town Centre and within 100 yards of the Minster - What a view!. Superb staff, very friendly and attentive. The small double rooms are'nt huge but quite adequate if you are not planning to spend much time in the hotel. Bar staff were very friendly and the restaurant staff polite and courteous. Food was great. I would definitely stay here again either for business or pleasure.

The only minor downside of my stay was the reasonably poor choice on the continental breakfast. All of the cooked breakfast options were more than up to the standard expected. As for the location, the chimes of the Cathedral are now very low key and almost 'muffled' and I can honestly say they did'nt disrupt my stay at all. I'm a light sleeper and the hotel was so tranquil I slept like a log!.

Awesome

by TripAdvisor Member Kayne

For a mother and daughter traveling around the UK, the Deacon Court was a great place to stay. After having visited 5 other cities in the UK and choosing moderately priced hotels over Bed & Breakfasts (my 15 year old thinks they are too intimate), it was a relief to finally arrive at a "real" hotel. The staff was wonderful (the bellman jovially unloaded 2 weeks of travelling from our car as we needed to repack for the flight home) and the location was perfect for site seeing and shopping. The bathroom was large, though our room was dark and had a sloped ceiling. My daughter's ability to have in-room wi-fi and the view of the York Minster from our room completely eradicated any negative thoughts from either of our minds. We were visiting during a rare heat wave and found that the Lobby was nicely air-conditioned. An oscillaing fan was provided for our 3rd floor room (it needed it). We were looking for hotels in central locations, that did not cost a fortune, and could provide some "British" atmosphere. The Deacon Court was a great choice!

Comments