Station Rise, York, YO1 6HT, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• planxty's Profile Photo

Grand in every sense of the word.

I was recently in York for a couple of days and a friend recommended the Cedar Court Grand, a recently opened establishment, as there were £129 deals on the very useful Laterooms website where ordinarily it would have been well beyond my budget. What an excellent suggestion it turned out to be. A quick check now (late December 2010) shows room only rates from as little as £99 in January 2011.

Approaching the building on a fairly dismal November afternoon was probably not to see it to best advantage but it really is majestic, there is no other word for it. Originally the headquarters of the Northeastern Railway, it has been recently completely refurbished and opened in it's current role in mid 2010. The building was begun in 1902 to the design of William Bell and Horace Field, a design which won an award in Paris in 1904. No expense was spared in construction and it certainly shows. The bricks were handmade and Portland and Ancaster stone, Belgian marble and other fine marterials were employed. The refurbishment has been very sensitively done, and many of the original features remain which gives the place a very individual feel.

It is appropriate that the Hotel, liteerally two minutes walk from the train station has such a railway connection as York is one of the most important rail centres in the UK and home to the nearby National Rail Museum. So close is it to the Station that if you require, the hotel will dispatch a member of staff to meet you off the train and carry your luggage. Don't worry about train noise, there is none as, even before the recent upgrade, the building was originally double glazed which was almost unheard of in those days.

Entering the impressive foyer you will have your first experience of the wonderful staff here. It is a truism that I have mentioned in other hotel tips that any hotel is only as good as it's staff, and the staff here are well worthy of a 5* establishment. From the handwritten note from housekeeping when they turned down the bed to the offer of the front of house manager of a tour of the architecture (I had expressed an interest to him) every single member of staff I had contact with was faultless.

Up in the modern lift to the room, one of the "basic" rooms (Classic King) although there was nothing basic about it. It was very comfortably furnished and with all the conveniences you would expect in a place of this quality, plasma TV, wi-fi connection etc. and even down to detail like a delightful fruit bowl. Decoration was provided by a series of wonderful monochrome railway related photos. On the subject of photos, apologies but I took very few for various reasons. The attached website has a good photo gallery.

Although I did not try either, the Whisky Bar on the ground floor looked very sumptuous and the restauant menu very interesting.

After a wonderful night's sleep, I did something I am not naturally prone to and indulged in a spot of early morning exercise. Unusual I know, but regular readers of my tips please suspend your disbelief whilst I describe the fully-equipped spa. It is situated in the basement and I thought it was pleasing that some of the original features, notably an absolutely monstrous vault door, have been retained. In keeping with the Roman history of York, the spa is generally Roman themed with some nice mosaics. A few lengths of the pool and a bit of a steam and I was ready for a hard days sightseeing. It is almost redundant to say that the staff here were wonderful and very friendly.

I have been told that this is the only five star hotel in central York and it certainly offers facilities and levels of service commensurate with that rating. True, the Cedar Court Grand is not cheap but, should your budget permit, it is very highly recommended.

Unique Quality: The unique quality is the whole railway connection embodied in the grandeur of a building once at the very heart of that industry.

Directions: From the front of the station, turn right, follow the road round (two minutes walk) past the war memorial and the hotel is on the left.

More about Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa

Very nice hotel with some areas in need of improvement.

by TripAdvisor Member Fonzarelli

Have stayed at several hotels in York over the last few years so was keen to try out the Cedar Court Grand. The spa wasn't open during our stay, so we were offered a reduced room rate. The hotel itself is a 5 minute walk from the main shopping area of York, so is ideal for a short break. Our room was very clean and modern and was everything we expected from a 5 star hotel but was let down by a few minor niggles: The room was cold, so I had to call reception, who, to their credit, turned it up immediately. There was no loo brush or waste bin in the toilet. The bathroom had no shower gel and again, no bin. The safe didn't work and on one occasion, the room key card failed, so I had to get it re-programmed at reception. There was also no hotel information pack in the room. The bar staff also seemed to ignore the fact that we had been sitting obviously waiting to order drinks for around 15 minutes. At over £10.00 for a champagne cocktail, sadly the service did not match the prices. All of these things are very easliy sorted and I hope the management take these comments on board. Finally, I would like to praise Wayne who met us at the door and took care of our car and luggage, the receptionist (sorry, can't remember her name) and Claire who cleaned our room. The three of you show that a smile and a few words can make a guest's stay a much more pleasant one: bar staff take note. I hope to return when the spa is open and would love to see these teething problems sorted.

Wonderful stay

by TripAdvisor Member favourites

We stayed on 31 May and 1 June and couldn't have been happier with our choice. Friendly welcome from helpful porter and reception staff. Although the first room we were allocated hadn't been serviced another was quickly found and our bags taken to our room. Lovely big room comfortably furnished. Yes there are a couple of things missing: a clock and tissues but hopefully these are only teething issues. Excellent breakfast with very attentive service especially on the first morning - things a little slower the second morning when it was very busy. We enjoyed drinks and bar snacks in the bar which we found comfortable and welcoming. Overall an excellent experience and we will recommend the hotel to others.

sheer class

by TripAdvisor Member RotherhamSutty

I stayed with my husband for one night the staff are unbeatable they are friendly chatty and make you feel special as soon as you arrive. The rooms are clean and modern as are the bathrooms with towels which are fabulous. The food is out of this world we had the taster menu every course was delicious and presented with class and the restaurent staff could not have been more helpful the breakfast was the best i ve tasted the pasteries and bread are made fresh at the hotel and even the preserves are unbeatable. The building is a awesome site with decor to match and is within a stones throw if the train station and city centre I cannot wait to go back and do it all again I doubt anywhere else i stay in future could compare.

Still work required for a 5*

by TripAdvisor Member Mr_Walsh

Whilst our overall experience of this hotel was good and thoroughly enjoyed I do feel i need to write a few comments. Yes the Spa etc. is not open yet and will most probably not until July ... so check ! The beds are on the small side but comfortable , our tv was on and off..... no information in the room or on the tv regarding hotel services, things to do etc.... only one bin in the room under the desk (which has no plug for a laptop etc.) and the bathroom accessories needed to be carried to it .... why no bin in the bathrooms? the towels are shocking... cardboard and thin ..... and the robes are the same but we had nowhere to hang them in the bathroom. The small (trendy) basin was totally unpractable ..... The lighting in the room was awful and lack of plugs also bad... We had breakfast deliverd to our room on our first morning and although on time and tasty .... we had no cutlery to eat it with and no milk for our drinks and only one napkin to share . the bar has no atmosphere at all and is rather dull and the outside terrace is not open either. You can also hear the 'bathroom noises' from the room above you , water running etc..

Quality Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Bish_Bosh_69

I have read some of these harsh reviews, and the authors have either been stopping at a different hotel, or more likely, using this feedback forum for commercial reasons.
The wife & I stayed for one night at the weekend, and all I can say is - well done to the staff for creating a welcoming environment. OK, the decor might not be to everyone's taste, and the bar may need some background music to offset the 'too quiet' ambience, but overall we thought that the hotel is fully worthy of its elevated status.
We had a couple of issues in the room itself, but these were rectified quickly and without fuss by the reception staff.
The best part of the stay for us was the breakfast. We elected to take ours in the room, and even taking into account the wife's early-morning scribbled instructions, the delicious full english breakfast arrived piping hot (and at the correct time) along with the much needed fresh coffee & freshly squeezed orange juice. The breakfast alone was worth the hotel fee!

Definitely worth saving up for a special occasion.

Delightful, will definitely return soon.

by TripAdvisor Member poppyNorthYorkshire

The rooms are gorgeous. The taps take a bit of getting used to if your a first timer in a five star hotel and make sure you use your slip mat in the beautiful baths, as they are so lovely and deep you don't want to slip on the way out. I loved the wardrobe lights that came on as you were finding your clothes. The rooms are really spacious and the service at this hotel is deffinitely five star. A real friendly atmosphere catering for all. I can't wait for my next stay for my 10 year wedding anniversary in July 2010 (looking forward to the Spa).

Wonderful - staff, building, rooms and location

by TripAdvisor Member NetteLeeds

From the minute we arrived the staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. Nothing too much trouble. As we walked through the door we were greeted with a glass of bubbly each, which we took to our room whilst one of the porters carried our case.
Room was spacious, fresh, clean and well equipped. Very comfortable bed. Lighting subdued but romantic!
Breakfast was delicious - plenty of choice from continental to full english (plus lots more) all served by staff who could not have been more friendly and helpful.
We were made to feel very special from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.
No hesitation whatsoever in recommending the hotel to everyone.

fab hotel!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member oscarSunderland

just recentley returned from york and stayed in this hotel,it was great!!!!! we had a fab time,hotel staff very chatty cudnt do enough for us,all very clean and spacious..room huge,decor really nice and bed comfy,huge bath ,i really liked it.we stayed at the royal york hotel last time we came to york and the cedar hotel is sooooooo much better...
breakfast really nice staff very helpful and overall experiance great and would defo go back....

Fantastic stay

by TripAdvisor Member TracieEastYorkshire

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night in May, the hotel had only been open a couple of weeks, and the spa and outside terrace were not open, but I am sure they will be fantastic once they open. On arrival I was met in my car by the valet Parker and porter, they took my luggage and car just leaving me to check in. On checking in we had been upgraded to a superior room, on arrival at the room the very large windows in the bathroom had no curtains or blinds and looked out over other buildings!!! Contacted reception who advised windows should be frosted ( but not done yet) so we were moved to another room but as they were still in the process of opening it was not a big deal. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The hotel's main rooms are beautiful and the breakfast was very good. We will definitely return hopefully when the spa and terrace is open.

Excellent Hotel...Getting it very right

by TripAdvisor Member BustaBoy

Stayed here with my partner for a few days while in Yorkshire on business, was worried as had seen some reviews however I do think however wrote them possible over reacted or has unattainable expectations as I thought that this hotel was excellent on all levels.

The room was clean, spacious, and warming. The sevice within the hotel was superb and the litte touchies made the stay for us wonderful. While working on a report into the evening we were delighted to have a knock on the door and find the staff offering some fresh cookies cooked by the chef for us to to try.

It is clear that the hotel has only just opened and is still not quite at 100% but for the prices being currently offered for rooms this is one not to be missed

If i was to find one thing to critic it would be that the restaurant and room service menu's are to expensive but I am sure they will look at this in the future

Fishergate BarFishergate Bar

A non-refurbished part of the wallA non-refurbished part of the wall

Monk BarMonk Bar