Centro Apartments

No 1 Peckett_s Loft, Lady Peckett's Yard, York, YO1 9US, United Kingdom

More about York

The Merchant Adventurers' HallThe Merchant Adventurers' Hall

Walmgate Bar from outside the cityWalmgate Bar from outside the city

Our guide in 2010Our guide in 2010

The Kings ManorThe Kings Manor

Starting to Plan for the Viking Fest

by djhartmannn

I have been tasked to plan a multi-family (6-10) trip to the spring Viking Fest in York.

#1 Housing: Is there any single nice facility that will handle us all w/o breaking the budget or is there a street (or area) with a sufficient cluster of close establishments that you would recommend. (weekend apartments would be most excellent)

#2 Pubs and restaurants where we can meet up or suggested rally points that will not be hard to find.

#3 What "must do" activities will require for us to purchase or reserve ahead of time?

#4 Overall suggested itinerary for the weekend.

Everything I hear suggests that it is a great event and am very excited about this visit to York.

Thanks in advance

by sfdodger

For housing you might want to take a look at St. Mary's Guest house located at 17 Longfield Terrace, phone 00 44 (0) 1904 626972. Ask for Barry. I believe he also owns some service flats near his B&B. I have stayed three times, however he does fill up quickly.

by hanim27

Hi there,

Wow, what an exciting event to attend! I would love to go and check out what it's all about. Perhaps I'll read your review later. Anyway. I was looking through this site and found a good selection of budget accommodations in York that you may be interested in. Check it out at http://www.holidaycityeurope.com/york-85/index.html. I'm sure you and your family going to enjoy the festival tremendously.

Cheers
Hanim

by leics

Actually, you will be far better checking the official York tourist information site for accommodation:

York'shistorical centre is quite compact, so you should have no difficulties in sorting out meeting places. I'd suggest outside somewhere obvious (like the main entrance to the Minster, or on Lendal Bridge etc etc ) initially, then choose your own next meet-point...you will have plenty to choose from. there are loadds of pubs and restaurants in York.

Not sure about the pre-purchase. Jorvik is the only one which comes to mind..there are generally queues. Otherwise, unlkess it is something special for that weekend, you won't need to buy tickets in advance. Online booking for Jorvik here:

York has a massive amount of things to see and do. Have a look at the VT York pages (I have some) for ideas/tips and for restaurant/pub reviews too.

Your itinerary will be based around special events that weekend, so you must first decide what you want to see from that list when it is posted here:

But do not miss visiting the Minster, the Shambles, Clifford's Tower, the Castle Museum....and, obviously, Jorvik.

Travel Tips for York

The Town Walls Surrounding York

by Paul2001

York is surrounded by the medieval walls thus making it England's only "wall city". The walls extend for 4km and were built during the 13th and 14th centuries. There are four gates within the walls themselves. It is possible to walk around the circumference of the the walls by way of a series of foot paths.

Walmgate Bar I

by sandysmith

This bar is interesting for its portcullis and gate and also for the remaining Barbican, built in the reign of Edwarxd III, - the only surviving one in York. The wood and plaster on the inner side is from the Elizabethan period too.
Badly damaged by battery fire from Parliamentarians in 1644 it was restored in 1648 and renovated in 1959.
The arms of Henry Vare are on the outer side

You may kill Scotsmen!

by Airpunk

There is still a law which allows people to kill Scotsmen, providing they carry bow and arrow. Despite that law, I am not sure, if you can rely on this law on your then following trial for murder. Anyway, I was really brave when I put on my tartan pattern chucks on my walk through York. As you maybe already guessed, I wasn't killed. To be honest, I didn't even draw anyone's attention. OK, I didn't wear a kilt, I didn't talk with a heavy accent and neither am I a Scotsman. Maybe I am also not that tough at all, but at least, I told you something about this archaic law.

A Store With a View

by Dabs

Our excellent walking tour guide told us about this one, head into the Marks & Spencer department store at 9 The Pavement, I think we entered on the Parliament Street side, go up the escaltors to the top floor and find the large picture window with a stunning view of the York Minster. You can barely see the scaffolding from this angle!

St Mary's Abbey

by hayward68

The ruins of St Mary's Abbey stand amidst the lawns of the Museum Gardens. The abbey was once the most important and influential benedictine monastaries in the north of England. It was founded in approximately 1088 by King William Rufus and thrived until the 16th century when it was demolished by King Henry the VIII.
St Mary's Abbey is also associated with the legend of Robin Hood. Supposedly a friend of Robins', Sir Richard of the Lee, borrowed some money from the Abbot and being unable repay the money was about to be foreclosed upon and have his lands seized. Robin Hood lent him the money and Little John went with Sir Richard to York to repay the debt.

Comments