Clifton Bridge Hotel

Barley HallBarley Hall

View from Micklegate BarView from Micklegate Bar

The HospitiumThe Hospitium

Living StatuesLiving Statues

York nightlife - where to go

by carlrea

I am off to York this weekend could anyone recommend where to go for the nightlife??? is it concentrated in one spot or is it spread out. Also recommendations on somewhere nice to eat if possible.

Thanks guys.

Carl

by S1234

DEPENDS WHAT U WANT...
Meals.
Highly recommend
Oscars (nice pub grub, mostly homemade)main courses are massive so no need for a starter and they sell v v nice wines, it is a pub though but there is an upstairs
fiesta mexicana (near the gallery nightclub) yummy mexican washed down with a Tequilla sunrise!!!
Masons arms (on fishergate) think about food that your gran used to make.... homecooked good grub.

Re drinking....
There are pubs all over York. I would shy away from themicklegate run, athough it is v v funny to watch v v drunk people trying to walk down it...
there are fun pubs like Mcmillians,Nexus and falres which are ok to go to too instead of a club at the end of your night.
There are loads of trndy pubs along the back of coney street and scattered around town, try ha ha bar which is near the back entrance of BHS and the blue fly bar accross the road from ha ha both are great places. u can eat in the ha ha bar Too...

hope this helps
Sarah

Ta! very much Sarah

Much appriciated!

Carl

by Sjalen

My favourite was the Lendal Cellars, just off Coney Street. Good selection of beers and lively but calm if you see what I mean. Hope it's still the same.

I agree that you should avoid Micklegate. I lived just off it and got some interesting sights on my way home weekends...staggering young girls with broken tights...There are some night clubs at the city end of it too but I found them sad.

by carlrea

I've just started to build my York page hopefully will get it done this week!

by carlrea

Yep went to the Lendel cellers for a meal and a pint - was really good
although i ended up at night in the Reflex eighties bar!

by Sjalen

What a relief to hear that some things stay the same in York. Reading the York Evening Press online, hubby sometimes shouts out in distress from the PC room...

by manickev

Not sure, I'm looking for the same advice too - can anyone out there help. Also, are there any lapdancing bars in York???

KD

by Sjalen

I don't know of any but just walking up or down Micklegate on a Friday-Saturday night could maybe help...heavy irony.

See the tips above for some nightlife. Around Micklegate is also where several clubs are.

by S1234

there is not a lap dancing club in york, the closest ones r in leeds

by lordk1

Is IKON/DIVA still open and you still get the bus to there??
Im going this Saturday night!

Travel Tips for York

Shortest Street

by sandysmith

Whip-ma-whop-ma-gate is the shortest street in York. The saxon words mean “neither one thing nor the other”.
In the 16th century, the name was 'Whitnourwhatnourgate,' but the present form emerged when the area became the site of the city where petty criminals were publicly flogged. It can be found at the end of Colliergate. ...but who's that fella??
...well he was kind enough to send me this pic because he knew my proper camera was broken when I visited York and the disposable camera I ended up using gave me pics only fit for the bin ;-( Thanks Steve!

Monk Bar

by yooperprof

This was the tallest and most heavily fortified gateway in medieval York. It was constructed around 1330. Just east of the Minster, on Goodramgate.

Inside is a small museum portraying the story of Richard III - as told from a strongly Yorkist perspective, as you might expect!

Electricity

by keeweechic

The electricity supply voltage is 230V. Equipment rated at 220V may function, but it is advisable to check with the manufacturer before using it in the UK. The standard plug in the UK is a three flat pin model.

Yorkshire Lavender

by Britannia2

A few miles outside York in the Howardian Hills is Yorkshire Lavender. Set on a hillside farm and covering 60 acres this a pleasant way to spend a few hours.
There is a parkland walk with good views over the Vale of York. There are also some deer to see and tea shop that sells lavender scones (we did not try them).
Entrance and car parking is free and it is open daily from 10 - 5.
Disabled friendly and the website has details of how to get there.
Recommended but I do not think you can get there by bus.

Thirsty for Thirsk

by iandsmith

We stayed near Thirsk and, with our penchant for the village life overriding our city desires we opted to have a look around Thirsk, a town we'd passed through the night before on our way to our B&B.
This led us to the "All Creatures Great and Small" museum which is the very home in which the creator of the famous aforesaid series lived in. Now, initially, I wasn't that keen but the lady at the tourist information centre was so enthusiastic I thought I'd go anyway. So pleased I did and, because your ticket is valid all day and Rosemarie initially declined, we got virtually a two-for-the-price-of-one experience. It's a very interesting museum and well worth more than an hour of your time.
A quirk about the town is that you can park for free if you get a special docket from any store as as indication that you weren't just there freeloading and using up valuable carpark. I liked that idea. Brighton take note.

Comments