Grange Hotel - York

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• SpringJim's Profile Photo

On top of its game!

I stayed here for the first time as part of a Jan /Feb deal they had on. We went to see a show in York, but actually both found we wanted to spend more time at the hotel. It was simply lovely, very good quality decor, furnishings and paintings throughout. The rooms were EXCELENT - large beds, high quality cotton sheets, clean and warm. I would reccommend the hotel warmly to anyone, although sadly we didnt manage to eat there. Five stars - easy.

• leics's Profile Photo

Another historic hotel.

Haven't actually stayed here myself, but my daughter chose it for her wedding reception and her wedding night (in a fourposter), so that must tell you something! It's a Regency building, within easy, level walking distance of the city centre and 'sights'. Staff all extremely pleasant and helpful, decor appropriate to the age of the building and rather good. Super-squashy sofas and comfy armchairs in the morning room.

3 restaurants serving rather good food .... the wedding meal was excellent.

No lift ....it's a listed building.

Unique Quality: The building is charming and atmospheric, the refurbishment has been done sympathetically so that you remain aware of the hotel's age whilst having all modern comforts.

Recommended if you want to treat yourself (or somebody else). And you can get married there too!

More about Grange Hotel - York

Close, but no cigar

by TripAdvisor Member Kingtom

First the negatives:
1. There's no lift and no ramps to get up the steps into the hotel - if you're in a wheel chair I'd give it a miss. We just had a baby in a pram and it was inconvinient.
2. It's on a main road - if you have a room at the front it will be noisey. I heard several people complaining about this during our stay.
3. The hotel is slightly frayed around the edges - scuff marks on skirting boards, slight marks on the walls...nothing too terrible but for £160 a night (basic room) it should be immaculate.

However, there are positives:
1. It is a beautiful hotel. The public areas down stairs are lovely.
2. The staff were always on hand and always friendly
3. The breakfasts were excellent with plenty of choice (although my wife's veggie breakfast was just full English without the meat - they should have a veggie option)
4. It's only 10mins walk from the centre of York
5. It has adequate car parking facilities
6. We were on the second floor at the rear of the hotel so our room was lovely and quiet.
7. You get dressing gowns
8. They "turn down" your beds - nice touch
9. We left some clothes on the bed in the morning and came back to find them all neatly folded in piles - again, nice touch.

All in all, you won't be disappointed staying here (unless you get a room at the front or you're disabled) and you can stomach the price - it's only really worth £120 per night.

good short break

by TripAdvisor Member MRSSAXON

Just returned after a two night short break. Yes there is some road noise but its only a low rumble due to the double glazing. The room was one of the smaller rooms but not small, not large either.We went on a winter warmer break which included an evening meal on one night. I originaly considered that the price for the break was a little on the high side but after roughly costing the meal at £50 from the menu prices (and worth it ) it becomes good value. A short walk to the Minster, do read the various wall plaques on the way in to the city

grossly overrated

by TripAdvisor Member echristie

Room 14 is tiny and has far too much furniture. You have to unpack as there is nowhere to put a bag. The window would not stay open so we could have some fresh air. The outside temperature wasn't high during our stay, so it must be torture in hot weather. It was noisybut that's what you get from staying beside a main road. All the staff were unfriendly and disinterested. We were definitely "disturbing" them. One stank of BO at breakfast - it was quite overpowering. We had a guest for dinner on first night so chose not to make a fuss, but the food was mediocre and service sullen and very brisk indeed. It had no ambience whatever. Breakfast was quite disgusting - a very oily cooked breakfast and the buffet was not replenished. The coffee was dirty dishwater in a dirty cafetiere which we sent back twice and they didn't resolve. We opted for tea in the end. We passed on our comments to management and have had no reponse. I can put up with this level of service and food, but not at £140/night and especially not when the reviews are so good. An award for culinary excellence is a complete joke.

Fantastic hotel in every way

by TripAdvisor Member Josh222

Can't understand the previous reviewer, my wife and I have just had the most perfect stay in this beautiful hotel. Our room was quiet and wonderfully decorated. Admittedly it was not large but then what do you expect in the centre of town? We had dinner on both nights in both restaurants. Each time the food was terrific (and I'm a foodie!), the staff were efficient and really helpful. They really seemed to care that we were having a good time - which we were. I shall be back as this is a shining example of how a country hotel should be. Thank you Grange!

One Of My Three Favourite Hotels!

by TripAdvisor Member hydebear

The Grange is one of those charming hotels which has an utterly comfortable air about it - discrete but exceptionally helpful staff, great food, and generally comfortable rooms - make it a great place to spend a night or two. An abundance of fresh flowers around the hotel also add to the great ambience.

We have stayed there three times now and decided to hold our commitment ceremony there. Nothing was too much trouble for us and every guest commented on the great food and relaxing surroundings.

On the downside it has no lift, gets a little hot and some of the rooms are small, but overall there are few better places to stay in York.

Avoid for small surprise birthday treats - weddings are hotel's priority

by TripAdvisor Member jprose

This is somewhere to avoid if you want to surprise a loved one with a celebratory treat. It was my husband's 50th birthday and I wanted everything to be perfect and had spent weeks researching and organising etc. The hotel blew the surprise by immediately telling my husband that the children were coming - despite me having 'phoned reception from the train to remind them it was a surprise and not to mention the other room.
The service at dinner was atrocious - at one point we had to go looking round the hotel to find a waiter to order coffee. They brought the requested birthday cake WITHOUT candles or 'Happy Birthday' iced on - just a cake really!
It soon became apparent that the dining room staff were preoccupied with guests for the following day's wedding who were having dinner in a private room upstairs. It was clear to us that they were taking priority - our view being confirmed the next morning when we went to sit down for breakfast at the table we had sat at the night before. We were then asked to move as guests from the wedding party wanted to sit there - a "Fawlty Towers moment'.
The hotel manager has been very rude and not replied to a message and an email asking for her comments on our experience.
Room was fine and food was very good - but not a good choice for a celebration smaller than a wedding!

A quality hotel

by TripAdvisor Member coysh

I recently stayed in this hotel for one night on business it is very well located a short walk into the centre of York and 10 minute stroll from the train station.
The staff on check in and out where very friendly and attentive and able to answer all my questions. The room I had was number 26 at the back of the hotel therefore no noise at night time. This is a double room with an en-suite bathroom. Both of which have been recently refurbished to a high standard. The bed was a good size and very comfortable. The room was cleaned to a good standard.
The breakfast was very good with a lot of choices I had poached smoked haddock which was cooked very well and it was served at the table which makes a difference to the big buffets you get at most hotels and the staff where very attentive replenishing both toast and tea pot. This is a small quality hotel which has the character that the big chain hotels often lack.

Excellent all round quality

by TripAdvisor Member Bozaboy

My financee and I wanted a break away from all the wedding plans and to do a little last minute Christmas shopping. Having visited York once previously we wanted somewhere we could just leave the car.
The Grange surpassed our expectations. The food is first class and great value for money. We ate in both the Ivy restaurant and the Cellar bar. The service in both is excellent and they coped well with the small orders as well as the large "Office Party" group orders. In fact the staff throughout our stay were extremely polite and helpfull.
On the down side and it is very picky I know, was breakfast. The menu is extensive and is well presented. However, it is let down by one simple menu item and that was the Hash Browns. Imagine a plate with a some nice bacon, tasty cumberland sausage, amazing french black pudding (highly recommended by the way), a large field mushroom sitting on a mass produced, frozen, commercial, tasteless hash brown.
This little issue aside the hotel is excellently placed, great food, helpfull and polite staff and very very relaxing atmosphere.
We will certainly be back.

Comments