Gregory's Guest House

160 Bishopthorpe Road, York, YO23 1LF, United Kingdom

More about Gregory's Guest House

Absolutely fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member fairycake1

My husband and I stayed here at the beginning of march for a 2 night stay. We picked Gregory's after reading reviews and looking at the website, and we were not disappointed.

When we arrived we found somewhere to park easily and it really isn't a problem that there isn't a private carpark. Martin and Bev were there to greet us when we arrived and Martin offered to help with luggage which was very kind. Martin was also very helpful in giving advice about what to do whilst we were in York, and we found it useful that there were leaflets available for local attractions.

The room we were given was lovely! Very tastefully decorated in cream and red with lovely bed linen. There was ample storage space with a large wardrobe chest of drawers and 2 bedside cabinets. The bed was very comfortable as well. The bathroom was compact but perfectly adequate with a loo, hand basin and shower cubicle. It was so nice that they had provided make up remover wipes and shower gel as well.

Breakfast was excellent, a continetal selection (cereals, cooked meats, chesse, croissants, fruit etc) and then a good cooked breakfast choice, they even cater for fussy people like my husband who just had bacon and eggs! There was also toast and tea ond coffe provided. The coffee was delicious and it was nice that it was served by the cafetiere. We loved their crockery so much that we asked where it was from and went and bought some before we went home! Bev always checked if everything was ok, and was lovely and chatty as well.

Gregory's is only a 15-20 min walk from the city centre and I am a very slow walker. If you don't fancy walking there is even a bus stop just outside the guesthouse with a bus service that runs every half an hour.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at Gregory's, I enjoyed having a natter with Bev at breakfast, and I would not hesitate to go back - I have recommended them to everyone I know!

what a gem

by TripAdvisor Member happyanna

we chose to stay at Gregory's after reading the reviews and as we have a son called Gregory it seemd a good choice. We were not disappointed. It was lovely and clean and the owners were very friendly and willing to stop and chat. A two minute walk from the house took you to the riverside walk and it was a pleasure to take the 15 minute walk along the river into the city centre. would we go again - yes, and recommend it - certainly

Home from home!

by TripAdvisor Member RetiredandhappyUk

We (my wife, Hilary and I) convinced my mother to join us in a trip to York. We have a German Shepherd and stay in our motorhome in the centre of York but we found Gregory's about ten minutes from the site for mum. She was a little concerned - I think she relates B & B's to Blackpool in the sixties. Boy, was she wrong!

Martin and Bev fully deserve the praise they receive. Their Guest House is immaculate, the breakfasts are wonderful and both are matched by their kindness (for example, they made sure mum was up for breakfast and walked down the stairs with her).

They converted the property into a Guest House and they fully deserve to suceed. Their reputation must be spreading and the reviews they receive are fully justified. This is definitely a Guest House to recommend without any misgivings!

Many thanks to you both. May your success continue.

a welcome return

by TripAdvisor Member pjclem

once again there was excellent service and a friendly atmosphere in this hidden gem of a guest house. bev and martin go out of their way to ensure that all needs are catered for including annoying food allergies. it is easy to park and a five minute taxi ride takes you into the heart of york. bev and martin have a wealth of knowledge of the area and were more than willing to take the time to direct us to wonderful hidden bars and restaurants, plus the usual tourist haunts. we shall certainly return to take in more of this historic city and will make gregorys our base.

pom rossendale

Sorry, but.............

by TripAdvisor Member beejayblue

On arrival at Gregory's, we were rather surprised by the location and the size of the place.
It's hard to disagree with previous reviews so far as Bev and Martin go - they are warm and welcoming hosts and will go out of their way to help.
We were lucky enough to have the family room for just the two of us so our room was a reasonable size. However the bathroom was bijou to say the least - it would be impossible for it to be any smaller and still be functional. This is also the case for the 'dining room', which is an l-shaped corridor partitioned off from Bev and Martin's kitchen.
We don't want to detract from a guest house which previous reviewers have been happy with but we feel that a false impression could be given if no-one tells it as it is. We would have preferred to know what to expect.

Best Breakfasts ever

by TripAdvisor Member HobbitIsleofWight

We have just returned from a four night stay at Gregory's Guesthouse. Our room was lovely ,comfortable bed, plenty of storage, beautiful fresh flowers, plenty of tea/coffee biscuits. The en-suite was absolutely spotless (plenty of hot water) and really nice finishing touches like face wipes, cotton wool, & cotton buds.& thick white towels. The breakfasts were wonderful everything from fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals, croissants, and best of all the Cooked breakfast what a feast, and not an ounce of fat to be seen or tasted.
We found Bev and Martin to be a genuinely nice couple nothing was too much trouble really friendly, helpful, and informative, and we shall deffinately be going back to stay again. SOON.

Really loved Gregory's!!!

by TripAdvisor Member mrsgeordio

We stayed here for 3 nights for our wedding anniversary in July. The whole experience was great - Martin and Bev are excellent hosts, telling you information about where to go, bus routes, restaurant reviews etc. The room and bathroom were immaculate and beautifully decorated with extra touches like red roses, sweets, large shower gel, make up wipes, cotton wool.
Breakfasts were in a corridor off the kitchen which is not huge, but do you really need a huge dining room just to have your breakfast in? The choice was superb - good selection of cereals, grapefruit, yogurt, museli bars, cheeses and then a good choice for hot breakfast too which was well cooked. They did well to accommodate my husband's food intolerances and already had a lot of special dietary foods in. You felt like they really cared about your stay there as they made an effort to chat with you everday. We even came back during the evening of our anniversary to find a happy anniversary card from them!
The walk into town is about a 20 min stroll along the river side. There is a bus stop to town across the road from the B&B.
I would not hesitate to stay here again and felt very welcomed like we were friends.

very nice

by TripAdvisor Member matt1200

As with all things some people will never be satisfied.
I stayed at Gregorys for a long weekend 10th august with my family and were more than satisfied with the room and the service. When i go away for a holiday or in this case a short break I expect cleanliness, and I was not disappointed on the cleanliness front.
I do not go on a break and then take up residence in the accomodation and never leave it. I went to York to see York and only used Gregorys as a base. This place was spotlessly clean, the food was plentiful and of a very good standard, Martin and Bev were very friendly and were there if you needed help, they were not in your face. Excellent hosts, great place, spotlessly clean. What more could anyone ask? On reading reviews the overwhelming majority are positive and i think this speaks volumes. If all Guest houses were run like Gregorys we couldn`t go far wrong!

a little gem

by TripAdvisor Member katvillas

have just returned from a 3 night break at gregorys.

what can we say, well
owners very friendly, location, spot on,interior to a excellent standard.
loved thelittle extras, facial wipes, cotton wool,etc in the en-suite.

we stayed in the family room but their was only myself and my husband, the room is a of very generous size, ensuite in corner of room other people have said it is too small but we didn't find this so. shower , wash basin and toilet, what else do you need!

breakfast was fab, great selection .
the gregory is close to the millenium bridge which a lovely riverside walk into the city.
we where at york to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary by attending the ebor festival races.

gregorys is only a 5 minute walk to the racecourse which is ideal.

we will be visiting gregorys again and will certainly be recommending this lovely guest house to friends and family.

no wonder they have the rating that they have with the york tourism board.

martin and beverly, keep doing what your doing and you'll see the same people returning time after time.

A Great Stay in York

by TripAdvisor Member Chris_and_Sheena

My wife & I stayed at Gregory's over the August bank holiday weekend & had a great time from start to finish. After a horrible 6 hour crawl to York we arrived exhusted but the really warm welcome we received & the well appointed room (we had the family room just for the 2 of us) helped us feel relaxed straight away.

The room itself was a great size & well decorated with a small ensuite in the corner. There is only a shower so could be a problem for people with small children but was absolutely fine for us.

The owners were very friendly & seemed genuinly interested in what you had been up to on your visit to York (even though they must hear the same things every day). Plus there was plenty of information on where to go, what to see, maps of the town, all you could possibly need.

The location of the guest house is about 15-20min walk to the centre of town but is a lovely walk through the park/along the river.

I really would reccomend this place to anyone planning a vist to York!

Former St. Mary's AbbeyFormer St. Mary's Abbey

...and out duide from the "Ghost Trail"...and out duide from the "Ghost Trail"

Monk BarMonk Bar