3 Bootham Terrace, York, North Yorkshire, YO3O 7DH, United Kingdom
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Hedley House Hotel

Positives and Negatives for Hedley House

by TripAdvisor Member klm500

Stayed in the Hedley House Hotel for two nights when spending a weekend in York.
Positives: Pleasant welcome, free parking (although the car park was tiny and difficult to manouver into!), excellent location very close to the city walls, good breakfast (full english, toast, cereals, fruit), well-equipped rooms with flatscreen TV, hairdryer, kettle etc.
Negatives: Very cold (heating is only on for a certain amount of time each day and my room never felt properly warm - I had to keep my coat on and it was far too cold to have a shower!), dirty blankets and top-covers on the beds (the pillows and duvet cover were clean though and this was all that you had to touch), very unpleasant smell along the stairwell and landings (not sure if this was due to some kind of 'accident' occurring downstairs, as the rooms weren't affected, but it was so bad that I had to cover my nose when walking from the reception to my room).
All in all I thought the hotel was mediocre, and whilst my stay was okay, I think I am unlikely to return in the future.

Very clean and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Westcliff-guy

I have just returned from a 2 night break at Hedley House Hotel in York. The hotel is well located about 3-5 min walk from the Minster, and is handy for all the attractions of the city. There seemed to be plenty of parking at the rear of the hotel although I came by train and found the hotel easy to locate about 10 mins walk from the station.

All parts of the hotel were spotlessly clean and seemed to have been recently renovated. I was in room 3 on the first floor, which was a large double at the front of the hotel. The bed was comfortable with nice fresh smelling linen but it did seem to be 2 single beds joined together which meant there was a groove running down the middle of the bed under the sheet. The room was well equipped, with facilities for making hot drinks, a hairdryer and a modern flat screen TV with freeview channels. The en suite bathroom was large and clean with a heated towel rail and a shower over the bath. Toiletries were supplied.

Breakfast was served in a nice bright room at the front of the house and was delicious!! There was tea/coffee, toast, cereal, fruit juice and cooked breakfast. The cooked breakfast was all grilled which made me feel less guilty about eating it!!

All the staff that I met during my stay were polite, friendly and helpful. There didn't seem to be many other guests while I was there, but if the hotel was full there may have been some noise in the room while people were climbing the stairs as there was a gap under the door.

The weather was very cold while I was in York but there was good central heating with radiator thermostats in the room which could be adjusted.

I would definitely stay here if I visit York again and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere clean and comfortable but excellent value for money to stay while visiting York.

Not overly impressed

by TripAdvisor Member Kerensa

Wasn't supposed to be here, the B&B messed our reservation up and we were sent here at short notice.

Bedroom was dated - but had a flat screen tv and a great bathroom.

Breakfast was to be expected.

Sunday - waited over 30 mins for a cup of tea - in the end we had to ask if we could have a hot drink - no good when you only got in a 2.30am!!

One very miserable girl in the breakfast room - smile love it won't kill you!

birthday bash

by TripAdvisor Member familyderby

Hotel was in good location- 8 min walk into the lively town centre, hotel was overlooking a train track, but only heard the odd trains passing in the day and didnt hear any at night. Room was bright, warm, very big, had lovely clean bathroom. Room service good when we asked for anything, reception staff helpful, room was on top floor and had to go up 3 flights of stairs- but wasnt a problem for us. We also parked the car straight outside the door of the hotel. Breakfast & breakfast staff-not great, didnt seem to get enough breakfast and staff not that friendly, but tables and breakfast room was nicely laid out.

spot on

by TripAdvisor Member amandaDoncaster

we stayed at the hotel for my husbands birthday. there was a group of us and we were fortunately all able to get into this hotel. the rooms were bright and spacious, with superb new flat screen tvs. the rooms had lovely clean bathrooms that looked quite new.
the location is excellent. 5 minutes walk to the minster and the main shopping area.
the breakfast certainly helped with the hangovers and were lovely.
i would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Excellent stay

by TripAdvisor Member Parkington

We had a fantastic stay at Hedley House, York Bank Holiday weekend with our teenage son and son age 9. We stayed on in the Minster Suite and had bed and breakfast. Excellent Value Nothing too much trouble. Breakfast great and excellent value for money. The staff were friendly and helpful and the review was spot on.
Thanks once again for a wonderful stay.
Anne, Michael, Luke and Matthew Parkington.
Helmshore
Lancashire

nice stay in York

by TripAdvisor Member MEGJE07

We stayed at Hedley House for two nights in a quad room located in the annex. It had a kitchen and large bathroom. It was everything we were looking for -- roomy, clean and quiet with a good breakfast. Hedley House is an easy walk from Bootham Bar and the train station.

Great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member John_the_bee_man

Spacious freshly-decorated room, very comfortable six-foot wide bed, flat-screen TV, nice lounge if needed, short walk to the Minster. Good breakfast with entertainment provided by the squirrels raiding the bird feeders in the shrubbery over the road, and all at a price for two of us (b&b) at well under the cost of just a room at, for example, the Ibis. Free parking at the back. Drinks are only available whilst the receptionist is on duty (leaves at 10pm) but there are so many pubs and clubs within walking distance that is no problem. As good or better than most major chain hotels that I have stayed at.

A good choice for York

by TripAdvisor Member Twinkle-Teeth

I had a very nice stay at this hotel. It is fairly central (within walking distance of the city centre), yet there was no problem with traffic noise. I found my room and the common rooms to be very clean and seemed recently renovated (furniture, TV, duvet all seemed either recent additions or well-tended). The bathroom was great, very well-lit, with a bathtub (which is harder to find in the UK than at home). The staff was unfailingly nice, and very helpful. Breakfast was ample and very good.

I did have some problems with noise from my neighbours in the rooms on my floor, partly due to the structure of the hotel (i.e. a gap under the door), and partly due to bad luck on my part (I had noise problems on my first night only - when my neighbour was watching a sports broadcast late into the evening). This didn't bother me enough to knock on their door, but for light sleepers it may be an issue. If I remember correctly, the hotel does state in their literature that they are willing to deal with noise complaints (again - very helpful staff).

grate

by TripAdvisor Member jsjaa

we stayed hear with our 3 small children it was very nice staff were kind and helpfull ,it was clean . a short walk to the city center would come hear again

Comments