Holiday Inn

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Holiday Inn

Holiday Inn, York

by TripAdvisor Member Lyn-Leeds

I stayed at the Holiday Inn after a night out in York and it was more than suitable for my needs. We checked in mid afternoon and the friendly receptionist booked us a taxi into the City for later that evening. That afternoon, we headed into the City for a shoping trip to get something to wear that night. Although York isn't well known for it's shopping culture it is improving with the new H&M store and a large Topshop. After finding a new outfit, we went back to the hotel to get ready over a few glasses of wine in the room. Unfortunately we forgot a corkscrew, but the bar staff were more than willing to help and provided us with one which we could take away with us.
The late check-out was extremely useful, because, as a result of the previous night's alcohol and the amazing black-out curtains in the room, we slept in until 11:40!!

by TripAdvisor Member Kel77

Stayed at the holiday Inn York in June for 2 nights.....was a last minute break. The hotel reception bar area was okay, but room were a bit "seventies". Bedding etc was clean however. Rooms could do with a bit upgrading - bathrooms are gettinga bit mouldy and have no ventilation so when you have a shower is a bit like being in a sauna. We got a special deal of £90.00 a night so can't complain that much but if paid full price i wouldn't have been that happy.

Also, hotel is miles away from York Centre......you would have to get a bus / taxi back so wouldn't recommend for leisure visitors.

Can't wait to go back!

by TripAdvisor Member Reptonite

We ( Mum, Dad & 2 boys aged 8 & 10) had a brilliant three nights at Holiday Inn, YORK, UK. Before we left I checked some of the reviews and some were quite scathing, so I was prepared for the worst. I will add that when I am not happy with things I don't hold back. We arrived an hour early for check-in but our room was ready. Staff at desk were lovely and friendly. Our room was spotlessly clean with very comfortable furnishings, lots of tea/coffee things, lots of toiletries, very effective air con and lovely views. N.B ...Bus routes are superb so leave the car at home, bus stop virtually outside hotel. The breakfast was fantastic, so much choice, with as much as you could eat and set in a very airy restaurant that looked out over lawns. Really couldn't fault it. Will go back there without a doubt

Don't bother

by TripAdvisor Member LeamBull

I booked a two night stay at the York Holiday Inn via my Priority Club Account. On arrival, after a three hour drive, the check-in staff could not find my reservation and it eventually took us 20 minutes to get checked in even though it was early afternoon and we were the only people there. This was in great part due to the fact that the first receptionist could not speak English - I had to write my name down for her (and it's only Baker!). She was utterly incapable of communicating that there was a problem. She eventually fetched a more senior and more grumpy person, who finally did at least get us in.

This lady wanted by credit card - normal, I thought - until I saw she had already charged the card more than the value of my reservation. Suspicious? You bet. I asked her to change it and have to say by this time I was ready to forget it and leave.

The room was OK, standard stuff and clean if rather worn out. Breakfast was good too. Plenty of parking and if the hotel looks terribly dated, there's really nothing wrong with it.

Next evening, we had the family from hell move in next door. Kids screaming the place down and Mom and Dad joining in. We asked to move and we were shifted into a much better Exec room. I think by this time the hotel had become alert to the fact that we were not entirely happy.

The hotel is a long walk from town, but buses go by every few minutes and it is a 10 minute ride. On the main road opposite and only a two minute walk away is a great pub (the Fox & Roman) where we ate on one evening. I recommend it if you don't feel like going into the centre.

Overall, so-so. There are plenty of other hotels in York (the Marriott is about 400 yards away) and if you're thinking of a trip to the fantastic old city, I suggest you try them first.

great weekend

by TripAdvisor Member sazzy41

pleasantly surprised after reading some reviews.booked "dinner experience"weekend excellent value,room spacious & spotlessly clean , breakfast & dinner were both absolutely gorgeous & staff very very helpful & friendly will definately be going back.

This hotel is a disgrace to the Holiday Inn Chain

by TripAdvisor Member mabelflower

I travel alot on business and this was the worst Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in.

We checked in late (9pm) and were informed that the Hotel Manager had tried to 'bump' us by leaving a message on the home telephone number given rather than have the courtesy to telephone on the mobile. This was due to overbooking at the hotel. If I had not produced my confirmation print out then I would have had the frustration of looking for a room elsewhere. However, upon inspection of the allocated room, I wish I had gone elsewhere.

The rooms are in desparate need of a makeover and the bathroom is just displeasing to the eye.

Breakfast was pleasant enough. Def think there is better elsewhere in York.

Really rude staff

by TripAdvisor Member marksmissus

I would not recommend this hotel to any one.You are much better off staying at the Marriott which is along the same road and in a completely different class. The room we had was dated and tatty.When we rang to confirm our booking we were told the price included breakfast but then the very unhelpful receptionist proceeded to charge us £7.50 each for a really horrible dry breakfast served by miserable waitresses,though they were nothing compared to the man who took our room number and ORDERED us to our seats-no politeness or greeting.I complained to the customer compaints department when we got home and to this day have not received a satisfactory reply.

Pretty average with added (free) toe-nail cutting

by TripAdvisor Member The_Gordian

Upon arriving at the hotel, first impressions were bad as it looks awful and very bland. However, once through the front doors the hotel does have a good ambience about it and check-in was quick and faultless. Had a room on the 4th floor and had a good view of the York racecourse grandstand, which was actually on fire on the day of my visit.

The room was functional, and nothing special, and as bland as the outside of the building, you'd expect a little more of something that had a quoted rate of £130 per night. There were however a number of negatives which would put me off staying there again:-

Internet access - £15 a day ... err I don't think so, I only wanted to pick up my emails and my local football club's news so I was glad of my £5 a month web package on my mobile. How this cost can be justified is beyond me, especially as it required an ethernet and not even a wireless connection. My guess is that they like to advertise they have internet access then sting the business users in particular to pick up additional. I had come from the Village Hotel in Newcastle, where wireless internet access is FREE, so Holiday Inn are definately into ripping off their customers.

No water, or biscuits provided on the hospitality tray - low cost to provide and something that many small hotels get right.

Finally, the pubic hair in the bath and the toe-nail cutting left on the floor in the bathroom led me to question the cleanliness of the place. Oh, and the bathroom was tiny.

Food was fine, although a little expensive £13 for fajitas and breakfast was ok - but I just missed out on the fresh bason and scrambled eggs which looked fine on my colleagues plate!

Will look to avoid Holiday Inns in the future if they are all managed and costed in this manner.

Finally, the phone charger from a previous occupant of the room had been left in one of the sockets - how did the maid miss this? after all its even bigger than a toe-nail cutting.

Holiday Inn should be ashamed

by TripAdvisor Member S_G_Taylor

This is nowhere near the standard that you would expect from Holiday Inn. The exterior is appalling (I don't suppose they can do much about that except pull it down and rebuild), the room was just about ok but the bathroom was horrible. Small, dated and with black mould around the bath. If I had paid the full price for the room I would have walked out and gone elsewhere. The breakfast was adequate but a little too expensive at over £13 but it was nice that they didn't charge for my son. The room in which we had breakfast was quite nice - the best part of the hotel. There really was nothing to recommend this hotel I am afraid. Vastly overpriced for what you get.

Disappointed after being moved here by another hotel

by TripAdvisor Member thecraigs

My work colleagues and I booked a weekend Christmas shopping break in September at the Ramada Encore in York. The night before our stay we were telephoned to say that we needed to move to this Holiday Inn with an upgrade , taxi dockets and a bottle of wine. On arrival we were given only 3 dockets which meant that extra cab rides cost £6 or £1.50 each on the bus which conveniently stops near the hotel and runs every 8 minutes. The rooms we were put in were smoking rooms and stank. I did not know these were still allowed and none of us were smokers. Toiletries were on the short side otherwise the room was comfortable. Staff were very friendly and informative. The bar prices were extortionate charging more than £5 for a glass of wine. Breakfast however was plentiful and service was excellent. If you are in York for the races then this would be a convenient hotel, however unless you like to do a lot of walking or pay out for transport, then this is not the hotel for you.

The clock and the Little AdmiralThe clock and the Little Admiral