Hotel du Vin York

Hotels.com Agoda.com Travelocity

More about Hotel du Vin York

Almost but not quite

by TripAdvisor Member chipie73

Having stayed at other hotels in York, I can honestly say that this is the best I have stayed in so far by a country mile. The location, decor, quality of staff and general attention to detail is exceptional and if this review were about the hotel solely then the rating would have been very very close to 5 stars. The only possible thing to mention would be to echo an earlier review and say that the air con units can be very loud, especially in the dead of night !

I would highly recommend paying for or negotiating a room upgrade as the shower and standalone bath are worthy of the extra money. I would also recommend getting to the hotel around lunchtime as that is when other guests have checked out and there is space in the (small) car park.

So why not 5 stars ? Simply because the hotel is called Hotel Du Vin & Bistro and the Bistro element simply isn't up to the standards set by the hotel itself. In my albeit one off experience I was asked the same question twice on a number of occasions, had numerous errors with the bill and when offered a free dessert to apologise this appeared on the bill as well. The final straw was the addition of the "optional" 10% service charge which is always a put off.

So I would say definitely stay in this hotel but eat elsewhere. I would recommend Meltons which is about 10 mins walk away and was a much more pleasureable experience.

Nice but.....

by TripAdvisor Member cjblue21

This is a lovely hotel. The staff are friendly and the rooms are faultless. However, we arrived just before 3pm and had to wait an hour for the room to be ready. We were given free drinks in the bar to make up for the delay but were eager to get unpacked and out and about. The other problem was that the hotel carpark was full (looking out of our room window though it didn't appear to be at all!). We had to park at an NCP ten minutes away and were slightly anxious about leaving the car in an outdoor carpark overnight. The hotel offered a 20% discount on the price of parking though.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the service was ok. However, we were both disappointed with the food. It arrived fairly cold and wasn't anything special. I had a rubbery steak with a congealing sauce which wasn't very attractive.

We were dismayed to find that when our bill arrived we had been changed £125 for a bottle of wine that we hadn't had. Just as well we hadn't drunk too much! The mistake was immediately rectified but you don't really expect something of that price being "mistakenly" added to your bill.

This may sound like a slightly negative review but that's more down to a few things being wrong which probably don't often happen.

I'd still recommend the Hotel du Vin as it is a lovely classy hotel.

At last - a decent hotel in York!

by TripAdvisor Member jean-s

I didn't travel to York for any other reason than to try out the new Hotel du Vin, well as a friend pointed out, it would be rude not to.
We were delighted with it. Check in was a pleasure, (the many clocks set at the times of all the other Bistro du Vins in the country were rather charmingly all set at the same time. ha ha.) the receptionist showing us to our lovely room, explaining where everything was. All the rooms have different names rather than numbers but I can't remember what ours was called, just that it sounded vaguely rude. We had upgraded to a superior room and were paying £150 for dinner, bed and breakfast, which I think puts it on a par with the Malmaison chain (counting the upgrade)
The room was very spacious and had a nice autumnal colour scheme. Plenty of chairs. Open plan bedroom and bathroom and huge walk in shower. If anything the roll top bath was too big for me - I kept slipping under the suds when I was trying to read my book. lol. Loads of big fluffy white towels and nice toiletries that they encourage you to take home. Again - it would be rude not to, although I do find them a bit "manly" in essence.
Telly was fine with plenty of channels and a dvd with a dvd library at reception. Nice tea and coffee making facilites - but would like a choice of instant coffee as well as the cafetiere in future (please and thankyou if you are listening). Nice glossy magazines laid around for your perusal. The only complaint I have to make, and I fail to see what the management can really do to rectify this, is I knew as soon as I looked at the wooden bedframe that I was going to come away with a bruise or two - and I did. I tried to place a cushion on the corners of the bed to remind me of the dangers but when I was busy packing I forgot and got a hell of a bang. So that is just a moan in general about wooden bed frames - whose stupid idea were they anyway?
The Bistro meal wasn't the greatest culinary experience (7 out of 10 at the most) but the service was good, very good infact, the decor is lively and interesting as you would expect from a Bistro du Vin, there were plenty of other diners in and all in all we had a very pleasant evening. (breakfast the next day was very good though, see pics!)
My favourite thing was the cigar shack. How nice not to feel like a social leper. It is brilliantly designed, very posh but very welcoming too and it was enjoyed by several of the other guests who were all much more sociable in there than they were in the bar. Every hotel should have one. We had a smashing time - thank you Bistro du Vin, York - take a bow!

will add photos later - TA site once again playing up!

Fantastic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member RichardReading

On a visit to York on business, and had a great stay at the Hotel Du Vin. The evening meal in the Bistro was fantastic, with a superb selection of wines. Service was great, room beautifully furnished and communal areas ideal to discuss the following days meeting. Booked via LateRooms.com for only £99, room only.

Fantastic Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member szekeres101

Myself and my partner stayed here for 2 nights and it was fantastic, the surroundings and the rooms are fantastic but can I just say the staff make it greater, the restaurant staff especially, they make you so welcome and they are not stuffy they have a laugh and a giggle with you whilst making your choices of food, to which I can advise you to try the frogs legs, yum ha ha.
I would definately return, it was like a second home.

Great hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member lou666

Stayed here in Jan and loved it. We stayed midweek and got a great deal online of £85.00 b&b in a standard room. The room was a little on the small side but for the price i could not complain. The bathroom was lovely and very relaxing.

On checkin Reception were very friendly and helpful. We decided after checking in to go and try the bar with it's great choice of cocktails.

Dinner in the Bistro was ok but not as good as we thought it would be and not for the prices that they charge. The staff were very pleasent in the restaurant but service a little slow.

The hotel has limited carparking and is on a first come first serve basis only so i do recommend arriving early if you want to park at the hotel.

We loved our stay and this hotel is great being right in the centre of York and very handy for the racecourse.

The most perfect stay...

by TripAdvisor Member bprayit

Thank you for the most perfect stay. We had booked this hotel whilst attending a friend's wedding in York, and had made a special request to check-in early for the day. The week before our stay we were called by the hotel to confirm the early check-in, but to also offer us an upgrade to the Grande Dame suite with a complimentary bottle of champagne?!! The room was amazing (with the largest bed I have ever seen?!!) and the hotel is of the highest standards... plus it's only a 5 minute walk into the fantastic sites that York has to offer. We didn't try any food though, which was a shame since the bistro looked so elegant and smelt fabulous! Would definitely stay here again, but am now also feeling compelled to try other Du Vin Hotels around the country.

Style over substance

by TripAdvisor Member Travelingalbatros

We arrived at 3pm (check in time) only to be told that the room wasn’t ready and would have to wait half an hour. Not a big deal, so we waited... at 4.30pm we were being shown to our room. The room was beautiful and spacious, the only problem was that I kept hitting myself with the corner of the bed.

We ate in the restaurant, the food was nothing special, rather disappointing actually, and the service not that great, specially a rude waitress, the wine waiter was very knowledgeable though.
Car parking is very limited, but to be fair, we knew that before we arrived.

On check out, there were a few problems with the bill that eventually got sorted out, but I got the impression that they thought I was lying at the beginning.

All in all, the hotel is very nice and clean, very trendy, but a good hotel should be more than just trendy design and there are plenty of other, good all around, hotels in York city centre. I don’t go to York very often, but on my next visit I will try a different hotel and I’d suggest you do the same.

Boutique Sophistication Arrives In York

by TripAdvisor Member apudme

I stayed at the Hotel du Vin over a three month period whilst on business in York, so tried several rooms and got to know the place well.

I was on a corporate discounted rate, and this is well worth negotiating if you or your team will be spending more than 50 nights in York per quarter. Some particularly good deals to be had in the slower month of January, if booking last minute call the front desk (NOT HdV central reservations) direct and negotiate a good price.

The HdV chain is part of the Malmaison Group, and has several other hotels in regional towns across the country. The website is not the best, so I suggest you use that for research and then call up and book direct. Do book for dinner at that stage, as it gets busy.

If you are looking to stay in York as a tourist and HdV is full, try Middlethorpe Hall for a more traditional country house experience. Although near the racecourse Middlethorpe is a 10-15 min taxi ride into town.

HdV York is centrally located, a short seven minute walk to the Ouse River and the town centre, about ten minutes walk from York train station, though get a cab if you have luggage.

There is limited but very secure free parking at the rear of the property; call ahead if this is important, but there is a reduced rate at another car park just across the road.

The hotel comprises three blocks; the original building can suffer from modest noise from the bar area later at night so avoid that if you want lots of shut eye, especially at weekends.

There is a new block attached to the original building as well as a detached block neither of which are affected in this way. Double glazing effectively seals out all traffic noise, so that is not a consideration.

The smallest rooms are tight for two, so worth the extra £20 for a slightly larger space. The box bed frames can be annoying, but forewarned is forarmed, and after putting a cushion on the sharp wooden corner, I soon got into the habit of avoiding bruising myself.

Bar has a Hotel Costes type vibe - impressive.

Restaurant was so good we rarely ate out; sommelier is knowledgeable so let him recommend the wine; if you ask he often has superb Chapel Down Bacchus Reserve from Kent which is a nice talking point. Breakfast is particularly unmissable, with organic everything.

Rooms are all of a similar excellent standard, though do vary significantly in size and bathroom type. All have drenching showers and good water pressure - a problem at the other hotels in York I stayed at. Larger rooms have free standing roll top baths and walk in showers. All have the generous 125ml HdV branded shower gel, moisturiser, shampoo and importantly conditioner, so no need to bring your own.

Flat screen TVs and DVD players are standard so bring an old movie or borrow one from reception's collection. Free WiFi system has a good signal throughout.

Fresh milk in the well stocked minibar for your tea, with high quality coffee and hot chocolate also complimentary.

Flexible dimmer switch lighting, VI Spring beds, feather pillows and Egyptian cotton sheets make for a sublime sleep; I hardly wanted to leave my nest in the mornings!

Not all rooms have a clock, so bring your own. Some rooms are large enough you cannot hear Radio 4 in the bath from the TV, so for extended stays your own radio is a good idea.

Two features worth pointing out which may be missed by those staying just one night are the Smoke Shack outdoors, where you can enjoy an after dinner cigar in leather club chairs while a fire does its bit for global warming, and the wine tasting room off the library which is worth checking out.

VERDICT: Sophistication arrives in York; deservedly the best place to stay for delicious dining, awesome breakfast, a great night's sleep and top notch bathrooms. Book a larger room for the full experience.

Lacking something

by TripAdvisor Member gcoop17

We have not long arrived back from a 3 day stay at HdV. We booked direct on the Hotel's website and did not find this particularly good value for money. Admittedly the hotel was very busy on our first night - the last day of the May meeting at York Races and could only get the last ( ? ) available room which was their La Grande Dame suite.

Huge bed, small windows,awkward lighting and although ( apparently ) their premiere room it is situated over the kitchen and its ventilation system. Twice on succesive mornings, having opened the windows for some fresh air the smoke alarm went off, albeit briefly, in the room triggered by the smokey fumes from the kitchen vents.

Some small niggles. When paying, on average, £330 per night ( without breakfast which is another £13.50 per person) there are no hooks or rails on which to hang towels in the bathing / showering area which also being open plan with the room means that if you wish to use the loo at night you are obliged to put on the lights which then illuminates the bed area. The room also overlooks a small patio area which can be a bit noisy in the early evening but later when the staff clear up and move the wooden garden furniture back into place on the flagstone flooring it does rather sound as though WWW3 has broken out.

Housekeeping is immaculate however and completely unobtrusive. Staff on the whole were polite, if distaff. Bar prices are OTT and the staff in the bar a bit superior. Gordons gin is very popular and not to stock it is just pretentious.

We did not eat in the much vaunted Bistro as it was fully booked on our first night and the slightly offhand service we received when trying to book put us off trying again. Breakfasts were reasonably OK but not historic.

On the whole a nice experience but not great. Given the prices are on par with a decent room at Gleneagles, at this time of year, HdV York has some catching up to do.

PS. The reception/management team completely missed my email when I mentioned that this was my other half's birthday. Poor show.

The remains of the roman fortressThe remains of the roman fortress

inside the hallinside the hall

St Williams CollegeSt Williams College