Judge's Lodging

The Judges Lodging
Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

• tpal's Profile Photo

18th Century Charm In The Center of Town

My stay at the Judge's Lodging was several years ago so in order to be fair to my fellow Virtual Tourists, I examined several internet sites which publish traveler reviews of accommodations and found that current reviews approximate my recollections. Still, this tip is mainly a remembrance of my stay and I recommend you do additional research.

I owe The Judge's Lodging a great travel debt of gratitude...a lesson which, I am certain, has saved me great embarrassment.

The Judge's Lodging was originally built as a private home in 1710 and in the early 19th century became a judge's lodging presumably serving the justices as they traveled from place to place. As an inn, it appears to have annexed several adjacent buildings and in the process created some rather awkward, albeit charming, transitions between the structures. The results caused some occasional confusion on my part and on one instance I found myself in front of what, I thought, was certainly my room. As I had only stepped out for a moment and had not bolted the door, I walked right in.

Well, did you know that many doors look alike and that when some gentlemen finish their showers, the first item of clothing they put on is their socks? Well...I do now and they don't always lock their doors either! Lesson learned...if I'm in the room the bolt is on the door!

All other memories of the Judge's Lodging are more routine by comparison. The rooms were well kept and tastefully decorated with perhaps a bit too much chintz for me. The most interesting features were the door frames which at 5'11" I had to duck to clear and the floors which had a pronounced slope. All in all elements adding to the 18th century charm.

Note: Price range below is for "Double Occupancy Per Person"

Comments