Marmadukes Hotel

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Orbitz.com Agoda.com Booking.com

• jobekenobi's Profile Photo

Cheap and cheerful

We hapened upon this place when surfing the web for somewhere to stay - it is marketed as a hostel but its actually a hotel with a hostel attached. Very clean, bright airy rooms - quite basic but you get a kettle and a TV with freeview as well as an ensuite bathroom. The bonus for us was it had parking (nowhere else we could afford did) and is about 10 mins walk from the city centre. Staff very friendly and you get a free drink in the bar when you arrive. There was a lounge with internet access and books etc. Very comfortable!

Unique Quality: Free parking!

Directions: Bootham gate

More about Marmadukes Hotel

A fantastic experience

by TripAdvisor Member JIMMY121

Both my husband and myself stayed at the Marmadukes Hotel in November 2006 and both had a fantastic experience.
We found the staff to be very efficient and willing to attend to our needs. I myself found them very easy to speak to as I have food allergies,and they were more than happy to discuss the menu with me.

The hotels room was a delight to stay in with the large and comfortable four poster bed. The room was very clean and contained everything needed to ensure our stay was as comfortable as possible.

We would both highly recommend anyone taking a trip to York to stay in this extremely well run hotel. We will certainly be rturning in the very near future.

Very nice stay lovely part of York - would return

by TripAdvisor Member ladysmasons

We stayed just one night at Marmadukes and my husband and I were very impressed with the refurbishments. Yes the rooms are smaller than you would get at a chain hotel but it's a Victorian building so expect this. However, our bathroom was very large and nicely decorated with a roll top bath and period style sink. The thing I most love about staying in a hotel is breakfast in bed, although Marmadukes do a Bento Box they don't bring a full English to your room. This was disappointing as my husband wanted a full english so we had to go to the dining room for this. After a late night out at a party the last thing I wanted to do was parade my blood shot eyes to the world! The breakfast was lovely and we loved the organic (?) bacon and sausages. The waitresses were polite and unobtrusive as were the other staff. The only slip up was when we requested a tea tray to be brought to our room, room service brought us just that, a tray but without anything on it!! Maybe cross communications??! We liked the tin of teas in the room and the DVD Player. Our bed was wrought iron with pristine white bedlinen and a wonderfully squishy matress - I slept very well!
Overall a nice stay in York and Marmadukes is in the poshest part of town and very close to gorgeous shops.

One of the most uncomfortable rooms I've ever experienced

by TripAdvisor Member Craig_Walsh

We planned a last-minute, one night trip to York, and the Marmadukes website makes the hotel look very attractive. I booked with the hotel directly, and explained I was disabled so couldn't climb many steps. Our one night reservation was confirmed.

When we were shown to our room (on the ground floor, so very convenient) I was surprised at how the large four-poster bed overwhelmed the room. It was so large that it even stuck up and into the chandelier. Perhaps not my style, but not a big deal. The room had one other tiny couch (settee) with a seat that was about 18 inches or so off the ground, and a very upright Victorian chair.

Again, the hotel's website talks about Victorian antique furniture, and that's fine --- but I just didn't imagine it would all be so uncomfortable. Surely even the Victorians knew how to design and manufacture a comfortable chair.

The young lady who showed us to our room said that the mini-bar could be quite noisy, and we should just unplug it. The mini-bar was crammed into a space behind the main door to the room, so that you couldn't open the door to the room more than about 50 or 60 degrees.

We couldn't watch TV from the bed. The screen was very small: more like a computer screen than a television. And if you were in bed, you had to watch the TV through the bars of the bed itself. But I couldn't sit in the uncomfortable Victorian chair.

There was a bedside lamp on only one side of the bed (my wife's). And it was pretty useless: a non-retractable curtain was in the way, so the light from the lamp was blocked by the curtain.

In the middle of the night the mini-bar woke us both up. I unplugged it, but couldn't get back to sleep. I spent a couple of hours sitting in the equivalent of the hotel's "lobby," and read the paper from cover to cover.

This room was, in our opinion, design over function. It was uncomfortable, rigid, noisy and generally disagreeable.

I sent a detailed, dispassionate e-mail to the owner of the hotel, David Hattersley, with photographs to illustrate the problems we experienced. First message sent on November 27, no reply. I sent a copy on November 29 without the photos, still no reply. I have sent a letter today, to their registered office address, via recorded delivery.

In a "management comment" on this website they complained, unfairly in my estimation, about folks who run home and post bad reviews on websites. Well we stayed there on the night of November 20, and have sent two messages to the hotel's owner and haven't had the courtesy of even a "get lost" e-mail message.

If I'd read the reviews (and the "management comment") on this website before I made our booking at Marmadukes, I would not have stayed there. And I certainly won't be going back.

Brilliant Boutique Break...

by TripAdvisor Member Luna*Rouge

My husband and I decided to go to York for our wedding annivers... we prefer boutique places rather than corporate shells to stay in so found Marmadukes on the web. It looked great so we booked up for the weekend. after booking we did of course see people's reviews on here, but were not put off, rather amused by the hotel's responses to behonest! we stayed in 516 which was by no means a small room, even having large funature in it there was still plenty of room the ensuite was large as well, and we were delighted with the penhaligons products (I love Blenheim Blossom!). We ate in the restaurant on the friday night and it was lovely, expensive, but we had no complaints about the food at all... breakfast was pretty standard on the first day - hot english, tea coffee etc.. no complaints - filled us up until dinner! The second day however we got the bedroom bento boxes and they were fab! Our bed was comfy and the room was clean, when we checked in we were told that some people found the mini bar noisy so to feel free to turn it off (it was fine) we had a bit of trouble getting the tv to work but the staff soon helped us with that... all in we had a great stay, it is clean and modern, but still has quirky charm to it. Simple touches like having face cloth hand towels and l'octaine cosmetic in the ladies toilet even showed attention to detail.
Boutique does mean you don't get a sofa and coffee table in your room, or whatever like a big hotel, but who really needs that? I don't know what people's expectations of rooms sizes are who have posted on here ... we were more than happy, easy to find and walk to from the city centre as well, and the bar / lounge is cosy as well. Definately recommended to young professionals like ourselves visiting york for the weekend..

Great Hotel - A little expensive!

by TripAdvisor Member Gail-and-Mark

I wanted somewhere special to celebrate my finace's birthday and after much searching the net settled on Marmadukes as a hotel with a difference, not one of the large, faceless chains. Some previous reviews did put me off slightly but it was difficult to find any hotel with all good reviews in York! The hotel itself was absolutely lovely and the room was large, well done out and very comfortable. We both smoke and as the hotel is totally non smoking we booked a 4 poster room with a blacony, which did work well. We ate at the hotel the first night and the food was excellent. The staff were all friendly and efficient and I really couldn't fault them. We walked into York the first morning and it's a little bit further out of the town than I would have liked although OK to walk in the day, I would recommend a taxi at night. I think the only negative I could mention is the cost. They have some great offers for stays Monday to Friday but the basic cost was £180 a night for the room plus £14 each for breakfast (which was fantastic). Added to a couple of bar drinks and one evening meal, our cost for a 2 night stay was £520 which was more than I was expecting. For this price we could have had a long weekend in Barcelona or New York! That said, a great family run hotel with loads of character and we did have a great time.

A great little Hotel, and very convenient for a walk in to York.

by TripAdvisor Member SteveW1

This hotel lived up to its website. It is not your typical "formula" hotel, because it is a converted "gentlemen's residence". But it is comfy, welcoming and extremely convenient for Bootham Gate entrance into the walled part of the city.

My wife and I found all the staff very helpful throughout our stay, including quickly sorting things out when I messed up our booking via the web site (my fault, not theirs).

The service at dinner was a delight, the food excellent, and the room/bed very comfy. The cooked breakfast set us up for the day...no small portions it seems!

I had read a few "not so good" comments about this hotel, so was a bit nervous. However I stuck with my choice because there were good reports as well (and some of the nargatives seemed a bit pedantic, I am sure one was about hot water coming from the hot tap!!) . I am delighted to add to the good reports, and we would definitely book again.

Loft Suite

by TripAdvisor Member changingman2001

My partner booked the Loft Suite as a treat for my 40th birthday. we were taking along our 11 month old baby boy so wanted the extra space. We were met at reception by Sophie - an extremely pleasant and genuinely warm person who showed us our room and its features. The champagne was not there upon arrival - we had only given an estimated t.o.a., but one phone call had it there in literally two minutes.

The suite was superb! Expensive at £350 per night room only, but what the heck, you are only 40 once! We intended dining in the retaurant that evening, but were concerned about our baby boy disturbing other guests. As it happens, Sophie said she would babysit for us for an hour or two - how many places do that??

The decor in the Loft Suite was far nicer than anticipated by the website's pictures. And it was huge!!! The sauna (big enough for a whole family) was beautiful and had its own cd player. The bathroom and wetroom could be described as contemporary chic - double-ended bath, power shower(s), nice toiletries and robes etc. There was a leather sleigh bed and walk-in dressing room/wardrobe. The living room was trendy but cosy with excellent and comfy furnishings, 42" Plasma, nice artwork, and the feel of the room on the morning (with its three loft windows)was really 'uplifting'.

We dined in the restaurant on the evening - definitely our type of place! Original cuisine, executed beautifully and served with flair by waiting staff who left you feeling neither unattended nor hurried - just right. Breakfast next morning was fine. One of the best traditional English breakfasts we have had. Waitress did struggle a bit with my northern accent...but no big deal.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a hotel to feel individual and real, rather than commercialised and, as William Morris would describe it emanating from the "age of shoddy". The stay was totally memorable and worth every penny. This is real quality!!

Great Service

by TripAdvisor Member JoHardman

The room was comfortable and cosy with a little luxury. Friendly from
the start to the end of the visit.The food was good but not
exceptional which brought the overall rating down from a 5 - but they
passed my scambled eggs test.

We loved it, most comfortable bed ever

by TripAdvisor Member twister7

We should have been on a walking holiday in a Youth Hostel in the Lake District. To my delight the holiday was cancelled by the holiday company, something to do with numbers. I was over the moon of not having to walk up hills and began to trawl the internet to find somewhere to go. My parents were looking after our son , well it would have been rude not to still go away.
After a considerable amount of time we settled on York and Maradukes.
We had the 4 poster bed with balcony, it was fab. The room was beautifully decorated and had the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in.
We had a lovely 2 night stay
I will be definetly re visiting this hotel again

Comments