119 The Mount, York, North Yorkshire, YO2 2DA, United Kingdom
Priceline.com Booking.com AMOMA.com

More about Mount Royale Hotel

Standards Falling

by TripAdvisor Member Calan-uk

I have stayed in the Mount Royale a few times before an i have always been impressed by the service and rooms, however my last stay on 20-06-2007 was what i can only describe as a rip off,
when i called to book i was told 2 rooms were available, one was a suite ant the other was a standard room, the standard room was £99.00 and the suite was £180.00, i stupidly opted for the so called suite, we were shown to our room (Room 20) which was OK but nothing special, for one moment i very nearly walked to reception and told them to cancel my reservation, this is no way worth £180.00 but as it was a weekend break for my wife i felt unable to cancel, the room was smaller than all the other 'standard' rooms which i had stayed in previously, it was dated and very noisy, the bathroom was poor with grime around the base of the bath and little in the way of facilities, i am in no way a complainer but surely when you have drunks in reception at 2.30 am the 24hr porter should make some attempt to shut them up, i had to listen to them to 3 am before they decided to fall in to bed, like i have mentioned previously this is a good hotel but since i first stayed there 2 years ago standards are slipping and prices are rising, If you do decide to stay here go for a standard room, they are spacious and very well maintained and for under £100.00 per night it is a bargain, there are several better hotels in York and i would think twice about staying here again.

camp bed to sleep on

by TripAdvisor Member jenfromnotts

just returned from a one night stay, myself my husband &
daughter age 8,
what a complete waste of £125.00 for bed & breakfast t he
room we stayed in consisted of a double bed & a CAMP BED
for my daughter to sleep in which was in the walk in wardrobe,
the reviews state full of antiques it was full of junk and stuffed birds,
the hot tub & sauna was not working
ignorant & unhelpfull staff
do not waste your money.

We loved it

by TripAdvisor Member barbara2

Our party of 10 were attending a wedding in York over the August bank holiday weekend and had decided that our maximum room rate was £100. I tried lots of other hotels but Mount Royale seemed to be the best at the price and I am pleased to say that we all thought the hotel was excellent.

The rooms varied in size but all were clean and large enough. We booked dinner on the Friday night at the restaurant which is part of the hotel but run separately and we all agreed that the food and servce was excellent. Another 2 friends joined us and to serve 12 main courses together hot and perfectly cooked and presented is not an easy task. We were lucky with the weather and ate breakfast in the garden both mornings. There was a good selection of buffet items and the cooked breakfast was individually cooked, which is always preferable to a warm congealed buffet that you get at most chain hotels. One couple used the pool and hot tub which were both warm/hot and clean.

We found the staff very helpful, in fact nothing was too much trouble. They gave us directions, booked us taxis, recommended shops and even made us coffee when we came back from the wedding reception at midnight.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. I have previously stayed at the York Hilton which is more expensive and is very bland. Give me the Mount Royale any day.

Worth the Walk

by TripAdvisor Member Roverite

My wife and I stayed at the Mount Royale for three nights in October, 2007 for a mini-break. We booked via laterooms.com only a couple of days earlier and were pleasantly surprised to find we had been allocated a large room overlooking the gardens. The bedroom linked on to a dressing area and then the bathroom.
The king-size bed was comfortable and everything spotlessley clean.
The only problem we had was with the very hot water pipes which seemed to affect the temperature of water coming out of both the warm (very very hot) and the cold taps! (midly warm)-We opted to use bottled drinking water because of this-though the hotel staff assured us that if we ran the cold water tap long enough the problem would be overcome. It did not spoil the stay at all-better hot water than cold.
Breakfasts were first class for quality and service. Nothing was too much trouble.
We ate in the adjoining restaurant (One 19) on two of the three evenings . The food is again first rate but be warned that the restaurant becomes very full on some evenings as it seems popular with the locals. On both nights we booked for 8 o'clock but some items were already being removed from the excellent value 3-course + glass of wine + coffee (£15) menu.
From t5he hotel, the walk into York takes 5 minsto the walls, another 5 to the River, and a further 5 mins to the medieval section of the city which leads up to the Minster. The Number 4 Bus runs every 10 mins for most of the day from just across frpom the hotel but we never did discover the bus stop for coming back. We walked it most times but I imagine that the bus or taxi would be a better option in rain etc.
We also ate out at Ceasars I(talian )on Goodramgate and had lunch at El Pianos (Moroccan).
Try the Number 1 Ghost walk, the Yorkshire Wheel, the Railway Museum (heavy on the legs) and of ocurse the Minster. A cruise on the River Ouse was OK but not particularly long-maybe that's an Autumn thing.
All in all-we intend to return to York and the Mount Royale.

Nice hotel, good location.

by TripAdvisor Member Awayer

This was mine and my wife's second stay at this hotel. We booked through late rooms at a reasonable price, (not the £99 a night rate which i think is a little expensive) and had a really good time. The hotel is about 10 minutes walk to the city walls and then another 10+ minutes to the shopping centre. It is really quite a pleasant walk with plenty of shops, bars and restuarants. The room we were allocated was a top floor double, up a couple of narrow flights of stairs. We were half expecting an attic room but it was far from this. The room was a good size, nicely furnished, a decent en-suite, and views over the rear gardens.
The breakfast is great with about half a dozen choices of the cooked part of the breakfast including fish and fishcakes, which my wife had and said were excellent. Staff are cheery, pleasant and helpful.
Didn't use the restaurant this time but last we went it was very nice. The bar is pleasant and has a log fire which is nice in the winter. I can recommend!

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member yorkian

Very nice place, food excellant. Pricewise what is expected for York, staff competant, though the bar manager is arrogant, unco-operative,and very unprofessional Full of his own importance and spoilt the whole experience. Should have stuck to his previous job of serving pizzas down town thats his limit.

Amazing food!!

by TripAdvisor Member Angels_Kiss

Had a one night stay at the Royale last night..........not a huge car park but we got a space easy enough, and check in was straightforward.

I must admit to being slightly worried when we descended a flight of stairs to be shown to our room, which was a basement room with a high level window overlooking a courtyard (Room 23) but I needn't have been concerned.

The room was very spacious with a huge comfy bed, and a neat alcove which I think may have been some sort of oven in past years? Also had a walk in closet, a mirror that deceptively hid a gentlemens wardrobe with glassed 'shirt' shelving (very Jeeves and Wooster!) The main bathroom had a lovely clean bath, fluffy towels and a seperate walk-in double tiled shower. Also there was ANOTHER room which housed a sink, a triple wardrobe, a chest of drawers and a 'service closet' with all your tea/coffee/ caffietere facilities. A hairdryer/ trouserpress are also provided, as well as fluffy white dressing gowns.

We ate in One 19 and the meal was gorgeous. To start , my hubby had Mussels and I had Thai Crabcakes, main was Calves Liver and Bacon in a Madeira sauce with seasonal veg for him, and Panfried Pollock with King Prawns and Asparagus for me....follwed by Chocolate Puddle Pudding and a Toffee Praline Cheesecake...then coffee and mints...with a bottle of chardonnay AND a round of drinks at the bar we were flabbergasted at the cost of £73.00 which we thought was VERY reasonable, especially for the quality of the food. A pianist added to the atmosphere throughout the meal - but be warned- it gets busy so book a table in advance as I think people come from far and wide to use the restaurant.....you can also order from a set menu which had a great choice and was only about a tenner a head for 2 courses, £15 for 3.

Our room was very quiet but I did have to get up and turn the radiators off at 5am when they started to 'crank' up and made the room quite warm.

The bath and shower were both great, plenty of hot water, both in the evening and the morning.

Breakfast was lovely- we both opted for the mixed grill though there was lots of alternatives if you wanted fish or a lighter option, as well as the usual help-yourself cereals. Brekkies are cooked to order and are steaming hot, not congealing in a buffet like many hotels nowadays.( It must have been good because we didn't eat a thing after until 4pm when we managed a Hog Roast bun from the market square!) The staff were helpful, friendly and attentive.

It's probably a bit too far out for anyone who has trouble walking far, as I'd say its more like a 15-20 minute walk (seems longer on the way back when you've been on your feet all day and have shopping to lug back) but if you are fit and healthy and don't mind taking in the views as you stroll then go for it! There's plenty of olde worlde pubs along the way to stop off at!

So all in all, I would recommend the Mount and would return again- even if it was just for the food!!!

Loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member amyuk

went away to york for a get away for valentines day with my boyfriend. Its 10 minutes away from the town and if you want to be really lazy you can get the bus. theres a bus stop out side the hotel.

we were up graded from the executive suite to a suite free of charge but dont know why. it was nice and clean and the room was bright with a tv and a dvd player but when we watched a dvd the screen kept going blue for some strange reasion. the hotel also has wireless internet but had trouble gaining access for a while and the bloke who was surposed to come and help us didnt come but we managed to do it our selfs.
The bed was a king size bed and was nice to sleep in and slept very well and didnt want to get up.,
the bath room was nice and big also clean watch the hot water though its very hot as u turn the shower on.

The evening food was very nice and when i asked the waitress about the food containing egg she advised me what food has such and such in. there was a guy who came round asking if we had any song requests which i found anoying but i guess ok for the ppl who in enjoy that sort of thing.
the breakfast started early from 7.00 to 9.30. there wasnt much i liked my self so i just had toast and plenty of coffie and orange juice.

before we left we wanderd to the town again for lunch and left our car at te hotel which wasnt a problem and then after a few hours came back and drove home.
will defantly come back!

Wonderful Valentine's treat

by TripAdvisor Member DeniseWestYorkshire

We stayed on a Valentine's Day special deal. This included bed breakfast and evening meal. We had room 20 which is classed as the honeymoon suite. It was a lovely room with nice large bathroom. Very clean. There was champayne and strawberries in the room on arrival.
The meal in the restaurant was excellent. All the staff were extremely friendly, there was someone playing quite load music late at night we rang reception and it was dealt with immediatley.
Breakfast was wonderful freshly cooked not a buffet.
We walked into York centre which took about 10 minutes.

Perfect Choice

by TripAdvisor Member Rich--30

After many many many hours of deliberation about where to take my gf for a valentines weekend get away I chose York. After a further many many many hours of researching the hotels in york I chose the Mount Royal..... Why?

1. Value for money - Hotel Du Vin is only four doors away - very swanky and new but nearly twice the price with fewer facilities and no breakfast thrown in.

2. Reviews - I could not find a bad review about the Mount Royal.

3. Accomodation - A double executive room with large grand bed, lounge area tv / dvd player original features in the rooms and double bay windows and ornate ceiling came in at £125 inc breakfast.

4. Facilities- excellent restuarant on site, which is a great contrast to the hotel i.e. the hotel is period but the restaurant is v modern which works well. nb on the night that we went starter, main course, desert, coffee and free glass of wine was on special offer at £15 per head - WOW. Another main reason for the choice of hotel was the treatment rooms in the hotel, I had an all over massage, my lady had manicure, pedicure and got a free facial thrown in which was good value.

Given the amount of research that I was incredibly pleased with the hotel itself and the room which we were allocated (Room 20), breakfast was great and very civilised and John who works there saved our lives when we were unable to get a taxi to take us to the theatre - he went out of his way to drive us personally in the Hotel Minibus!!!!!! Try getting that level of service in a large hotel - we would have ended up walking!!)

The only area for improvement that I noted was that in room 20 the paint was peeling of a couple of the tiles in the bath - this did not detract from our stay though and was a minor problem.

In short I have taken the time to write this review as I felt that the staff were all excellent, that the hotel common areas and rooms are spotless and the owners have done a great job in maintaining the standards.

Comments