Novotel York

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• scaevolatn's Profile Photo

Quiet York - almost Centre

My Novotel 'Superior' room had all the amenities I was expecting, except for air conditioning. It probably isn't needed much during the year, but my room faced west and temperatures were about 25 degrees in the afternoon. This made a rough first-impression for me. I left the window open day and night and found the neighborhood to be very quiet.

The bed was quite comfortable. The ensuite bathroom had both a bathtub and shower. The TV had standard BBC channels, iTV and Sky. There was no trouser press or ironing board in the room.

This hotel is called Novotel York Centre, but it's not exactly in the center of old York. It's a healthy 5-minute walk west to Clifford's Tower, with the rest of the old town beyond that. If you were walking to York Minster, it's a good 15-minute walk, and the train station is a solid 25-minute walk from the hotel.

I would stay at this hotel again, but if it were in the summer, I'd make sure I had a fan in my room.

Directions: eastern edge of old York

More about Novotel York

Excellent, friendly service

by TripAdvisor Member bunnyboo

Our family, 2 adults and 2 young children, recently stayed at the Novotel York for a short 2 night break. As I had read mixed feedback on the hotel I wasn't too sure what to expect. All I can say is that I would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel!. Very family friendly, excellent service, wonderful food (particularly the evening carvery) and all well priced. Also wonderful location, located at side of the river Ouse, only a few mins walk to city.
On the down side pool is a little too cold and on small side, but that said, it didn't stop the girls having fun!

Superb hotel

by TripAdvisor Member UkMarty

I stayed in this hotel on business for one night and can highly recommend it. The hotel located 10 mins from the city. The rooms are large and airy - ask for one that faces the river. Excellent bar and restaurent and the menu was superb.I have stayed in other hotels in York and this is by far the best.

Bedrooms not very clean or very warm

Stayed here on business for one night. Would definetly not want to stay here again. The pillows on the bed were covered in dry blood stains and the room was freezing cold. I tried to adjust the room thermostat and it didn't make any difference at all. When I complained to the reception they gave me some lame excuse that because my room was at the far end of a corridor the hot air in the air vent had trouble traveling the entire length in order to reach the bedroom i was in. They brought me an electric heater but one of the legs was broken and it was dangerous to use and a potential fire hazard. Do not stay here unless you are desparate.

Brilliant Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LynnMiddlesex

Date of Stay: 2nd - 5th December

This hotel was brilliant for visiting York. It is a five minute walk to the centre of York, so very central. It is in a quiet location, yet just off the main road into York. The rooms were spacious, very clean and newly decorated. They were also very quiet.

The hotel staff were always helpful and courteous and the public areas (including the indoor pool) were clean and well laid out. The Garden Brasserie is well worth a visit, reasonably priced and a good selection of food. The breakfast was amazing. The only downside was the price of bar drinks.

We had a lovely weekend and the hotel just added to the overall impression of York.

Thank you.

Very Average.

by TripAdvisor Member samandtom

Stayed at the novotel just before xmas, and while it wasn't awful, it wasn't that great either. If your traveling with children like we were you'll probably find it fine as it's a very child friendly hotel, but if you're going for a nice weekend away etc i'd stay somewhere else.
We found the staff very impersonal, sometimes unfriendly, the pool area a little grubby and food not too good either.
Check in took about 30 minutes (sure you'll agree that after a full day trecking around York you're ready for a lie down!).
The room was spacious, which again is great when traveling with kids, although very, very basic...I know it's not a luxury hotel, but it cost more to stay here than Aldwark manor, which is beautiful.
So overall "not bad" sums it up, child friendly, large rooms, good location. But if you want something a little more , stay away.

excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member kez25

We stayed at Novotel for 1 night there was 4 of us in 2 rooms and they were nice rooms really nice decor couldn't fault them one bit. We had a meal in the restuarant which was nice and the hotel staff were very helpful and pleasant nothing was too much for them! We would defiantly stay there again!

Excellent Value........

by TripAdvisor Member ANY1YOUNGER

What makes this hotel stand out from the other; traditional,run of the mill,corporate venues - is the service. I've rarely come accross such helpful,informed, professional and thoroughly pleasant staff, especially in the UK. It is because of them that I'm taking the time to write this review!

The hotel is what it is. That's not to say our three person family were complaining, we came to see York and not the Hotel.

Relitively cheap, clean, no frills, standard fare in the City centre - you get what it says on the tin, except for the attention of the staff, who made a five star effort - well done!

My only critism concerned the expensive breakfast, which wasn't included. Too pricey when you can't write it off on the Company books!

Excellent Value for Money - if a little dated

by TripAdvisor Member twisletops

We stayed for two nights in May in an executive queen room. this room was nice however the bathroom and toilet are separate and whilst the room had been modernised recently the toilet told the real story of poor decoration but all in all it was a comfortable stay for the money and i would recommend it.
However the swimming pool was tiny and whilst i took my swimming costume i would not have used it as the pool is overlooked by the bar and resturant!! and as i said tiny.. fine for kids im sure.

Fabulous value

by TripAdvisor Member MarkOfLeicester

Reasonably central and an excellent inexpensive stay at £83 for a reasonably sized family room (4 people)with breakfast. Service was good.

Comments