Orchard Court Hotel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about York

Food, Jeff Bakers restaurant, York, UK.Food, Jeff Bakers restaurant, York, UK.

The remains of the Roman BathThe remains of the Roman Bath

Beningbrough HallBeningbrough Hall

Museum GardensMuseum Gardens

Massage and treatments in York?

Hello

Since i'm most likely going to York with my sweetheart, i'd love to have some beauty treatments and especially a body/backmassage.
I've been searching around a bit on the net myself but only find lists of salons with phone numbers. I'd hope to find more than that, but i found a hotel with spa called the "Aldwark manor hotel". I'm a little uncertain though if they accept people who don't stay at the hotel to have treatments too?
And spa places are usually very expensive, so does anybody know about any salons or something in York and around?

Thanks in advance:-)

RE: Massage and treatments in York?

by Sjalen

Hm...you might want to consider Harrogate which is a spa town with quite a history around its sulphuric well and Pump Room (Agatha Christie fled there at the time when she "disappeared" and people were looking for her):

Here is a popular one:

Harrogate is easy to reach by both train and bus from York.

by Spincat

There is a Complementrary health Centre in York which offers massage therapy. Check out the page on teh therapist:

by Spincat

!!!Sorry - ignore the above !! what an idiot - the centre is in Bristol not York.
I was trying to do the thing I do when I am looking for a massage in a town i don't know, which is, either to see if anyone listed as a therapist in one of the 'professional organisation' listings (so far have found one person in Harrogate and can pass on the number if you are interested) or I google 'complementary health centre' (or similar) and the town.
I do this cos (speaking as someone trained in massage in london) I sometimes find 'Spa' treatments a bit overpriced and rather bland; and similarly the beauty salon places don't always offer a good massage. I usually find I do better going to a centre offering complementary medicine

by Spincat

...and faurther to the above this practitioner IS actually in York

she offers massage and reflexology and seems to be a member of some good professional organisations. This isn't a personal recommendation. Just a 'what I might do' if visiting York.

RE: Massage and treatments in York?

by Sjalen

Haha, yes there's a Clifton in York and another one in Bristol :)

The person you've found is based along a busy thoroughfare which is easy to reach by foot/bus in any case so she should not be hard to find either.

by Zoria

Thanks for the suggestions ladies:-)
The Clifton one didn't have any price list but i could of course contact them.

I found a couple of websites myself as well after searching for a long while.
Does anyone know if these places are any good?

Not that soon, in May:-)

Travel Tips for York

My favourites

by Sjalen

A visit to the impressing Minster is a must (try experiencing it during Advent or other big days when you get to hear the choir and carry candles - quite a thing even for a non churchgoer) as it is one of the landmarks of Yorkshire and one of the greatest cathedrals in Europe. Castle Museum belongs to my favourite museums in Europe for its "common life experience" and the National Railway Museum is impressive. Well that was when I met my husband who is a York lad but that evening we keep to ourselves! :-))) Otherwise I have loads of memories from the years I lived in York but today I get most sentimental when I think of the pub quiz nights and life by the village green in Acomb.

A building in Leeds...

by CandS

This is the Corn Exchange building...I just liked the look of it so I couldn't help but take a photo...such a weird building... ;) I really don't know the 'story' behind the building so if you know it I woulld be more than happy to learn. :)

Romans: Vikings Saxons & Normans

by EdinburghRoc

York has been around a while.
It was once second only to London.
Barley Hall is the place to learn & experience how the Saxons lived as it's a Medieval TownHouse.
The Hidden Secrets of York. Four Hidden Secrets pay full price for one & get into the other three for half price. Make sure you get the card!
Barley Hall: Eboracum Legion Bathhouse; Bar Museum York's front door, inside Monk Bar the RICHARD III Museum.

St Peters School

by toontraveller

Wander outside of the centre of york and you'll still find many beautiful and interesting buildings to look at. This is St Peters school, a co-educational boarding school which is set in it's own beautiful grounds.

Rievaulx Abbey

by cheekymarieh

Rievaulx Abbey is located just outside of the village of Helmsley and about 20 miles from York. The drive from York to the abbey takes in some particularly beautiful scenery (and some great country roads for driving!)

It is a former Cistercian Monastery, founded in 1132, which was home to around 150 monks. Towards the end of the 13th Century it suffered financial problems. By the time of the Disolution of the Monasteries in 1538 there were only 23 monks left. It is a great example of gothic architecture (my favoured architecture).

The Abbey is now owned by English Heritage and admission is somewhere in the region of £3.50 for adults.

Comments