Parsonage Country House Hotel

Parsonage Hotel & Spa
Booking.com Priceline.com Hotelsclick.com

More about York

The Merchant Adventurers' HallThe Merchant Adventurers' Hall

The added building with the bookshopThe added building with the bookshop

Castle MuseumCastle Museum

City Art GalleryCity Art Gallery

Help Needed

by jmanlfc

Looking to book a Cabin/Lodge for myself and my wife for our first anniversaty in the north of England,

Basically my wife has recently lost her father, and I was looking to take her away for a couple of nights, somewhere we could relax enjoy a nice walk, and also somewhere we could slip into the hot tub and enjoy a celebratory bottle of bubbly for our first anniversary and for my wife to let loose given her torrid year.

However I booked Yellowtop country park £200 for 2 nights, including Hot Tub, however I have received an email following my booking and I wondered if anybody else thought it was a bit harsh, and would you cancel as the first questions...

Hi,
It is a out door hot tub, No shelter.
The invoice is due now, If not is not paid by Saturday we will cancell your booking, Thank you.
Regards
Yellowtop on behalf of Paula.

Also as a fallback does anybody know of any other places as similair, as it sounds sad but given the climate, Im on a budget and need to watch the pennys,,, so need to spend probably a maximum of £200 as have £150 aside for beuty treatment and more on top for a couple of nights out for dinner etc...

Help please, firstly to let me know if you think I should have cancelled the booking based on the fact I only asked her when the payment was due and did the hot tub have a cover incase it rained.

by leics

The email you received is unfortunately-worded, I agree. It is not the more formal, polite answer one might expect, but what is considered acceptable in UK business terms is changing. Less formality seems to be the norm.

Perhaps it was written by a new employee, or someone with little experience of replying to customer emails?

The website makes it pretty clear (in photos) that the outdoor hot tubs are not covered.

I think it would be a shame to cancel your booking because of one slighty 'off' email. But it might be worth exploring other options quickly (tonight!) and mentioning that you found the tone of the email rather abrupt when, and if, you actually finalise your booking.

You may be able to find a nice hotel in York for the same money, with breakfast included. Try looking at www.booking.com and www.laterooms.co.uk

Other cabin possibilities include http://www.orchardlodgeyork.co.uk/ (you'd be all by yourselves with this one!) and http://www.yorklakelodge.co.uk/ No hot tubs though.

by tango_jd

It did sound a bit snotty!
I wonder whether a hoel with spa facilities (at this time of year) might be an alternative choice?
I found one quickly - but there are others I am sure - at the St George Hotel And Leisure Club in Harrogate which is a lovely town and easy to get to and from York.
Just a thought - thinking outside the box as they say!
Wherever you end-up have a lovely anniversary.

by colin_bramso

I agree with leics - and it looks as though it was written by a very junior employee or maybe someone with limited English, which is increasingly the case with UK hotels these days.

I'd go ahead with it if it's really the place you want but I'd also bring the reply to the attention of management as they are probably unaware of the problem.

by JillAspin

Hi, just noticed that my website was mentioned on here - www.yorklakelodge.co.uk and just wanted to thank the person who suggested us!!

No, we dont have a hot tub, but the lodge is fantastic - and I would never reply to your email like that!! Im sure it was someone who was just starting out, and I'm sure they have learned their lesson!

You have probably been on your trip now and I really hope you enjoyed it. Just let me know if you want to visit York again and I'll make sure we can accommodate you!!!

(Why dont you have a look at our other lodge, this one is in the Lake District, in Carnforth, but I thought it was worth a mention too - www.carnforthlakelodge.co.uk)

Thanks again!!

Travel Tips for York

Churches - All Saints, Pavement

by yooperprof

Nestled between Ousegate and Coppergate, this church is a hodgepodge or medley of many different architectural styles and traditions. In that regard, it's reflective of York itself! Parts of the church date from the 14th century, parts of the church date from the 1960s, and there are parts from every century in between.

The most distinguishing feature externally of All Saints is its open lantern, or tower, which was built at the end of the 1400s. It had a practical use as a kind of "land lighthouse" to guide travellers into the city from the dense forests to the north.

Simon Jenkins, in his priceless guide to "England's Thousand Best Churches," calls All Saints "a jolly church" and praises it for "the best tower in York." There is also very nice stained glass, some from the Middle Ages and some from the 1800s.

(Out of possible five, Jenkins grants one star to All Saints, Pavement.)

"Football"

by CandS

Check out a game of soccer...err football...if you are interested in that sort of stuff... ;)

I didn't get to a game but my boyfriend made sure he saw two big games while we were in England, one in Leeds (Leeds v LFC) and another in Liverpool (LFC v Coventry). LFC are his favourite team if you didn't guess...just see my Liverpool page and you'll realise how big of a fan he is... ;)

Meeting Friends

by steventilly

I had a great time recently in York with my VT friends Pete_r and Cheekymarieh. We saw just about all there is to see, had lunch in Betty's (an experience not to be missed), sampled several pubs and had some mouldy sandwiches for Dinner. Lovely. Here we all are by the river.

National Centre for Early Music

by calverley

Unless you're already a big fan of medieval music, you probably won't know this exists, but if you fancy hearing a bit of "olde Englande" then this is the place to go.

The National Centre for Early Music is a small concert venue in the converted St Margaret's Church on Walmgate. It is on one of the main city centre street, but because Walmgate changes to more of a residential street round about here, most people don't venture down far enough to reach the Centre.

There is a very small church garden, and sometimes they put a few temporary sculptures there, so it can be a good place to stop for a sit during the day, if you want to get out of the tourist crowds.

Of course, the real point of the place is the concerts in the evening, and as well as early music they sometimes have jazz, folk and world music things on. The acoustics are great, and it can be quite atmospheric, with candlelight chandeliers.

Abbey Ruins

by sandysmith

Founded in about 1080AD by Stephen Of Lastingham, St Mary's Abbey was one of the largest and wealthiest Benedictine Abbeys in the country. The abbey was demolished by King Henry VIII in 1540 and has stood as a ruin ever since.

Comments