Premier Inn York - City Centre

Premier Inn York City Centre - Blossom Street North
PremierInn.com Booking.com

• Snickle's Profile Photo

Great value

I booked this at the last minute so I was pleasantly suprised to get a room at all!

Check in was very efficient, we were given a room in an outside block which kept us fit as there wasn't a lift - no complaints though as it was only up 4 flights of stairs so only really noticible when you're carrying your bags up.

The room itself was smallish but with your usual travel inn fixtures and fittings; no wardrobe but an open hanging rail and shelves, no drawers anywhere, desk, hairdryer, coffee and tea making facilities, phone, TV with the usual 5 channels and a couple of random sky channels thrown in.

Everything was very clean, including the bathroom which had plenty of loo roll, fluffy towels and the most powerful shower I've ever stood under! (Brace yourselves!!!!)

Depending on what room you're in it can get a bit noisy from the surrounding bars (we had a room overlooking one) and even though they post signs asking you to close doors quietly thats practically impossible because of the springs they have on them so we did hear people opening and closing them a few times which is extremely loud when you're trying to sleep.

The security is good in that you need a key card to access the various buildings. At one point someone tried to open our door with a key card (so they were obviously a guest there) but they were unsuccesful (more than likely just someone a bit worse for wear!)

Its nice that you get the option of eating in the hotel (for an extra charge) and to be quite honest you wouldn't get a hotel or even a nice B&B for this price, and this close to the city centre (just a ten minute walk - you're literally outside of Micklegate Bar)

Unique Quality: Excellent value for a clean, modern hotel in the centre of York.

• carfan's Profile Photo

Not far to walk!!

This hotel can be found a mere 100 yards from York Railway Station and is within easy walking distance.

Despite being located on busy road, the rooms sit back a distance so noise is not an issue.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and very spacious with all faclilites.

We ate dinner in the adjoining restaurant and we had a most enjoyable meal.

Breakfast can be prebooked and paid on arrival at the hotel.

Unique Quality: In the ensuite bathrooms they had the most wonderful showers fitted.With a variety of heads available from normal to jet, it woke you up ready for a days sight seeing!!

All the staff were friendly, polite and talkative to guests.

Directions: Turn left out of station, walk 100 yards and you will see sign for hotel.

More about Premier Inn York - City Centre

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member littleladybramble

Having stayed at many PTI'S in the UK I found the York one to be a disappointment.

As a female travelling alone my first gripe was with reception. It was quite busy when I checked in, the staff were pleasant and curteous but when my room key was handed to me the receptionist checked over the 2 way radio to the room staff to see if my room was ready and the room number could be overheared by anyone in the near vicinity.

My room was in a block across the courtyard accessed by keycard.But i had to swipe my card several times on more than one occasion to get in, was eventually issued with another card.
Again not good when returning alone at night.

The room was comfortable and clean. The curtains were ill fitting and let a lot of artificial light at night, although not a problem for most people it was for me so not much sleep.

Had dinner in the restaurant on the first night the menu was the same as other PTI'S i have stayed in but the food was not as nice.
Went down to breakfast in the morning, gave my order for a cooked breakfast and they completely lost/forgot my order, it eventually arrved after 45 minutes.

One of the reasons i stay in Premier Travel Inns is that they are usually pretty consistant with all aspects of hospitality but York was a real let down.

Its all that you will need

by TripAdvisor Member lostalot

My wife and I spent another long weekend in York and, having read the reviews in Tripadvisor, thought that we would try the PTI for a change.

4 minutes walk from the main railway station, 10 minutes walk from the city centre, situated adjacent to the old city walls and on a main bus route and surrounded by pubs and eating establishments, it is an ideal location for a city visit.

The hotel has large rooms that are modern, clean and warm. Although facing a fairly busy main road, there was no traffic noise to intrude - particularly if you are lodged in one of the back annexes.

I agree with a previous reviewer that the shower is indeed like a "fire hose" - nothing better after a long day trudging around the sights!

Staff were friendly, pleasant and helpful to any request.

If I try really hard to have a moan about the place (and I had to try really hard indeed), there was limited TV stations available in-room but Sky TV Sports etc could be had in the hotel bar area adjacent to reception if desperate. Okay - I should not be watching TV on holiday anyway when there is so much more in the city to see!

Accomodation inexpensive compared to most other York hotels, hotel parking available, and high-standard facilities together with the great location make this one of the best bases to have a delightful visit.

Do yourself a favour and stay here if you are visiting York - you will certainly not go far wrong as I believe that this accomodation easy beats many of the more-expensive hotels available within the city.

excellent budget option for central York!

by TripAdvisor Member sm_1016

All I wanted for our weekend in York was a reasonably priced hotel with the usual facilities (TV, hair dryer, kettle, etc.) that was within walking distance of the main attractions. The Premier Travel Inn fulfilled all these. Although £70 per room per night without breakfast isn't what I'd consider cheap, it was the cheapest central York hotel that I could find, and I couldn't fault it whatsoever. It was extremely handy for arriving by train (as we did) and has a large car park for those arriving by car. The perfect budget option for York.

First Time At Premier Travel Inn

by TripAdvisor Member RomanticCouple

This Bank Holiday weekend was our first stay at a Premier Travel Inn. The hotel is situated 10 minutes walk from the city centre.
The free car park at the rear of the hotel is quite a reasonable size but we were lucky on the Saturday as we arrived at 12.30 and just managed to get the last available space.On arrival the receptionist was quick and very helpful with the booking in procedure - room was ready at 12.30 rather than having to wait until 2 o' clock.The family room was smoking as all the non-smoking rooms were taken. This wasn't a problem as the room had been well cleaned and aired so there was no smoke smells from the previous occupants.Room was of a good size with everything you would find in a more expensive hotel chain. The shower was excellent as were the beds.As this was a break away with the children we found York city centre on a Saturday night to be not suitable for the kids ( i.e. quite a few hen and stag nights )so decided to eat in at the hotel. Breakfast was of a higher standard than dinner .Bar area included Sky T.V and had a relaxed atmosphere with quite a few families staying that weekend. Would definately stay here again and also will explore other Premier Travel Inn's as well.Highly recommended

Loved the Bloosom Street premier Travel Inn!

by TripAdvisor Member micra1

We, (two adults, two kids), stayed at this city centre Travel Inn over the Easter weekend, following recommendations on TA. We were so glad we did!

The room was clean, comfortable and big enough for four people to stay for three nights without tripping over each other! We were lucky enough to find a space in the smallish hotel car park for the car, and then left it there for most of our stay. The location was perfect, (situated right by the city walls with only a short walk to the Railway Museum and then just a little further on to the Minster.)

The staff were freindly and welcoming and the breakfasts were well worth the extra money. We ate in the restaurant one night and were pleasantly surprised by the quality.

We would definitely stay there again on a return visit to York.

Very Central

by TripAdvisor Member TinaF

This hotel is a fantastic location for the city centre and the room was excellent and clean with good facilities. We stayed for 2 nights over the end of May Bank Holiday 2 adults and 1 seven year old. We stayed Saturday and Sunday. I personally would say that it is very loud on Saturdays as you get a lot of stag and hen partys staying there. They were not rude or anything like that just very loud and not much sleep was had on the first night. The second night was very different quite and a good nights sleep. I just think that because of its central location and price it will attract parties over the weekends. But I would stay here again and I would recommend to friends. The staff were very helpful and quick to deal with check in and any other requirements we had.

Good Central Location

by TripAdvisor Member ribm7727

This hotel is in a great location, just a stones throw from the city walls (this hotel is OUTSIDE the city walls).

The rooms are good and very clean, although no mini bar or safe if that makes any odds to you?

Hotel bar is OK but bear in mind there is a Wetherspoons pub literally across the road from the hotel (called the Punch Bowl PH) where the drinks are upto 1/2 the price of the food/drink in the hotel.

The breakfast was really good, if you want hot food you tell them exactly what you want, ie 3 sausages etc. You do have to wait about 30-40 minutes for the breakfast to come though if you go at peak times (0800-1000).

All in all this is a good hotel, I would definately recommend it!

Very small room and VERY noisy

by TripAdvisor Member LondonDerek123

Stayed at this hotel on Tuesday 26 June (after being trapped in York for 2 days because trains were not runing due to floods).
Phoned the hotel at 2:50 and were asked what time we would be arriving as check-in isn't until 3pm. Arrived at the hotel at 3:10 and were allocated room 3106.
This room is across the car park and is on the first floor (and there is no lift in this part of the building). It also has a lovely view of a brick wall.
The room had a huge bed which took up the whole of the floor. There was about 4 inches of leg room between the bottom of the bed and the wall. Extra pillows were in the closet (one of the pillow cases was dirty) but there was only one towel was in the bathroom. Reception said we had to come to them to get "extra" towels - which meant another walk across the car park and back. This is also the case if you want an iron and board - not very good if it's raining.
The next morning we were woken at 6am by guests dragging their suitcases across the cobble stone car park. Shortly after, a lorry arrived to make a delivery (either to the hotel or the pub next door). It parked outside the window and made a very noisy delivery. This was followed by the banging of many doors and loud talking (by the chambermaids). Impossible to sleep after 6am in this room.
A very disappointing stay. The IBIS is much better and cheaper -with friendly staff.

Looking for a B&B

by jeff2010

We're traveling to York from London (we live in USA) for a one night stopover on way to Edinburgh. Can someone please recommend a good b&b close to the train station? Thanks,

Jeff

by Durfun

May I ask, have you consulted a Lonely Planet? It usually has good suggestions.

I could then follow up here once you have some leads...

by northeast80

Google maps are a good starting point, it will show you all the B & B's in the centre, hope this link works. That way you can read independant reviews and work out how much you want to spend.

I'm afraid I've only stayed once in York and that was in a hostel.

We did eat in the Guy Fawkes Inn(their website doesn't work) on a VT meeting, the hosts were great and showed us around the rooms;

by northeast80

Eak! Sorry, those links sent the page HUGE!!

by christine.j

I stayed in the Apple Guest House, a short walk from the train station. Close to the town centre, clean, not expensive and very friendly.

by Sjalen

If you're not absolutely stuck on a B&B I would recommend the Premier Inn York City. They have very competitive rates compared to other major hotels and this is one of the closest accommodations you can find to the station so it is just a few minutes' walk which means that you will also have time for some sightseeing. http://www.premierinn.com/en/ They have just opened a brand new building (where my ugly old offices used to stand...) apart from having their first one so they should have space.

The B&Bs in the same area are a few blocks further out since most things by the station are just railway offices (and the huge station hotel). Another area with B&Bs is on the other side of the river close to the Minster but then you have to walk further from the station.

Comments