Royal York Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Love it Here

Well we walked out of the Rail Station and there it was...the little side entrance I remembered to this old yet elegant hotel. Once called The Railway Hotel we were told, but when you view from the front entrance you know why it is Royal now.

Our rooms are great. Dara5 has a vew of the city wall and the room is light and bright. Mine is good too. I just do not have the view.

Our rooms are quite large.

We each have a bath! Joy oh joy,...a room safe... and internet connection. The latter is a bit of a bore as we have to re log every 1/2 hour if we want it free.

The television is a bit old fashioned but it works.

Unique Quality: We have two options to dine...the more formal setting or bar food. We chose bar food and it was very tasty. There is a very good selection.

The Hotel has beautiful surrounds which are hidden if you enter from the station entrance. The hop on hop off bus stops outside but you can walk into town easily. Everything is so handy.

Seems the hotel is popular with business folk. Prices more expensive mid week.

Directions: Right next door to the train station

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Grand Victorian railway hotel

To be honest this is not a good choice of hotel.

Typical of the Victorian railway hotels the public areas are on a grand scale while the rooms are small and cramped.

The rooms are not air-conditioned and the 'superior' garden room room we stayed in had no ventilation and was impossibly hot and stuffy. We had to prop the door open to try to get some air into the room.

It was clean, the bathroom was good with adequate toiletries, but there's no fridge.

Staff in the restaurant and bar were as disinterested as any we've ever encountered. Waiting fifteen minutes for coffee with breakfast in the morning is unacceptable! For dinner, not having booked and the restaurant with only three tables occupied, we were told the kitchen may not be able to handle any more customers! In fact eventually we were allowed to eat.

Unique Quality: Conveniently located adjoining the railway station, it has a nice garden area and is a simple walk of a minute or two into the city centre.

Directions: Adjoining the railway station.

• markwalk's Profile Photo

If you have some cash to...

If you have some cash to splash, and want that little bit extra , the you could worse than the Royal York Hotel at the Railway Station. It is one of these grand old victorian Railway hotels that has not lost its style inside and make syou feel that little bit special.
    £ 100 approx.

Try the tourist information centre in the Railway station, about same day availabilty as it has been known to get a room for as low as £55

Unique Quality: Service is special, has fitness room but a fitness complex is opening up this year.

More about Royal York Hotel

The Royal York Hotel - First Class

Beautiful Hotel, Excellent Service !!!!

Mu husband and I have just come back from our Honeymoon, where we visited England and one of the hotels we stayed at was the Royal York Hotel. A Truly Beautiful Hotel, which we were informed by reception had been recently refurbished it clearly paid off.

We were upgraded to a magnificent room overlooking the Minster, we were even given robes and slippers ... , we even had his and hers sinks in the bathroom - very romantic !!!

The staff in the restaurant were always very attentive and the food was excellent. The porters in the hotel were very knowledgeable and provided us with lots of information on places to visit and eat, the shame of it was our stay was too short to fit it all in.

If we get the chance to visit England again, we will definately return to York and stay at the Royal York Hotel - A First Class Hotel

Lovely Hotel, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member yipat2328

I recently stayed at the hotel, to attend a wedding that was being held there and having read some of the reviews was slightly apprehensive. There was no need for any of my concerns from start to finish my husband and I had a truly wonderful stay. As the hotel was right next to the train station, we were able have a relaxing journey to the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel, the reception staff and porters were all friendly providing us with information on places to visit which were only a short walk away from the hotel. We had a beautiful recently decorated bedroom over looking the Minster. The wedding itself was a great day, with the hotel providing the perfect setting and the staff were very friendly. I would definately stay at the Royal York Hotel again

Not a four star hotel or even a 3 star!!!!!

My wife, 2 children and myself stayed at The Royal York Hotel for 4 nights and believe me this was four nights too long!!!! We were initially very impressed with the reception area in this hotel and we had high expectations that the room we had booked would be of the same standard. Unfortunately this was not the case. We were given our room card and informed that we were in a family room which was on the basement floor. When the lift door opened at the basement floor the smell of dampness made us all feel sick!!!! And the smell in "The "Family Room" was not much better. Our view from the room was a BRICK WALL ( not very inspiring). The room itself was very sparse with 2 double beds but very little else. There were damp patches on the wall, the bathroom shower and bath both looked dirty and the towels were very thin!!!!! To add insult to injury we did not have hot water for 2 days. When we asked about this the receptionist explained that the boiler had broken down and would be up and running again in half an hour which of course was NOT the case and after continually calling about this we were told that there was nothing they could do. There are renovations going on at this hotel and on closer inspection it REALLY REALLY needs it!!!
Anyway we shall return to York but under no cirumstances will we return to this Hotel and would not recommend it.

Four Star??!?!? No No No

I would strongly suggest that someone changes the website to reflect the true Royal York Hotel. It in no way represents the hotel at all. For the price and the rating (and the description and photographs!) I was hoping for something special for my partner and I. Surprise! Happy Birthday we are going to York for 2 days - booked a fabulous hotel, 4 star, lesisure facilities. (I would have shown him the brochure if it had not arrived 3 days after we had returned from York!)

WHAT a disappointment - without going into all the detail (would take a lot longer than this). We arrived to find the hotel was being renovated- scaffolding, wires all over the floors - it was awful. When I asked to see the manager he shrugged and said "what can I do". I demanded to know why I had not been informed as to the renovation when I booked and why there was no mention of it on the website? "I'm sorry, what can I do" was the reply. I asked to be upgraded - no can do the rooms are being decorated. The odour of paint was annoying as was his attitude. I asked to see a couple of rooms - once was awful - the other was a "newly decorated room" but was very bare (there minimilistic - and theres bare!) This room was in between two conference rooms!! Builders everywhere painting, re wiring - you get the picture.

Whilst the porter was polite and could see I was frustrated there was nothing he could do. I was upset and disappointed to say the least. I wanted to leave immedaitely, but it was my partners birthday and he said we should stay now that we were here and take up issues later.

I looked around the hotel and was amazed to see how shabby the hotel was in general.

When I checked out I noticed there was £26 charge for breakfast - not quoted in the intial booking - and another £5 for parking - again not quoted.

I like to stay in many hotels and dine out. I certainly did not want to dine in this hotel and instead we went to a resturant in the town. I am writing to the owner of the hotel group to express my disgust with the whole episode.

I use a lot of 4 star hotels for corporate events and rest assured I will not be recommending this one.

As a customer, my expectations were not met and no attempt was made to ensure I even LEFT the hotel as a satisfied customer. Renovation work or not - this is not the standard I expect of a 4 star hotel and the owners of the Royal York can be assured that I will not be putting any business their way. Note for the management : Customer Satisfaction is paramount.

Not good for the money.

by TripAdvisor Member LittleEmma1978

I stayed in a single room for 3 night. Total cost £190.00. For this price I did not expect - a room that smelled powerfully of smoke, a generator outside my window so loud I had to keep it closed, a lumpy bed, or to be in the basement!
The TV has satellite channels, in Spanish and German, housekeeping woke me up at 9am trying to get in my room (luckily I had put the chain on). Breakfast was nice enough. A large selection of cereals, juices, toast, muffins, fruit, crossiants and cooked items etc, and the breakfast room was light and airy. Bathroom in room was clean and spacious and nice toiletries provided, and heated towel rail. Staff were polite, civil but not friendly, and did not offer much information without prompting.
All in all I would say if this hotel was less money it would be okay, but as it stands it is very expensive for not much reward. You can find much better I am sure.

A seriously bad experience

by TripAdvisor Member mark-southside

I have just read the Review posted by another TripAdvisor user from Scotland. This mirrors our experience. We (two adults and child) were given a 'family room' in the basement. The carpet was dirty and damp and the room smelt disgusting. The curtains and window cill were dirty. We looked out to a brick wall and the whole time had noise from trains in the station above. We were told to get to breakfast early on the Sunday because of the queues - no chance of a lie-in then because they cannot manage the number of guests. The only acceptable thing was the swimming pool. I wrote to the Manager to complain who said I would get a 'preferrential' rate if we returned. I would not stay here again if I was PAID to do so mate.

Daughter's Wedding

My daughter had her wedding reception here in April 2004. More than 20 guests stayed for 1 or more nights. We had a wonderful time with the staff being very helpful in every way. As I am disabled I felt it important to feel comfortable - we certainly did. I used an electric scooter in the hotel and the staff always helped me if necessary. Whilst the modernisation is needed, it is a shame that the traditional Victorian feel of the hotel has to be abandoned.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DeeEstuary

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel for two days early Sept 2004 to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Whatever problems they may have had earlier in the year now seem to be over as we couldn't fault the place. Room was large and clean with a fab view over to York Minster, bed was lovely and big. Restaurant was very good with an impressive menu. We thoroughly enjoyed using the swimming pool, spa, sauna and steam room. And, of course, the location just outside the city wall couldn't be bettered.

Corridor, Cedar Court Grand Hotel, York, UK.Corridor, Cedar Court Grand Hotel, York, UK.

Bathroom, Cedar Court Grand Hotel, York, UK.Bathroom, Cedar Court Grand Hotel, York, UK.

Comments