The Holly Lodge

The Holly Lodge
Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

More about York

Jeff Bakers restaurant, York, UK.Jeff Bakers restaurant, York, UK.

People in fron of the pubPeople in fron of the pub

Roman solider staueRoman solider staue

The City WallsThe City Walls

Kilima Hotel

by marmalade77

I am booking a christmas package and have discovered most hotels in the York area are fully booked. Can anyone tell me what the Great Western Kilima hotel is like. I have heard a couple of bad reviews on it but am hoping it really isnt that bad.

RE: Kilima Hotel

by leics

Best Western is a national UK chain of hotels (although I'm not sure quite how it works, as the hotel site says it is independently owned and managed), so the standards are most likely to be fine.

by Britannia2

Cannot comment on that one but I could look at it from the outside on Tuesday when I am in York if you would like me to. We have stayed in Best Western hotels across the UK and they have all been fine.

by marmalade77

Thanks that would be great if you are passing but please don't go out of your way.

by Sjalen

Best Western is American I think, and in any case exist all over the world but that doesn't mean a particular hotel is great. The only thing I can say anything about is its location since I passed it on my way to work for a year. It is a nice looking house, not far from the busy railway London-York so it could be noisy if the windows aren't double glazed (especially the coal trains). Walking distance to the Micklegate end of the city centre but not the most central by any means and there isn't that much in that area in the way of restaurants and street life. Just people going back home to Poppleton or Acomb...

by Sjalen

PS. As York is so lovely, I'd probably gamble on it anyway if everything else was full :)))

by marmalade77

I guess the fact it isnt very central isnt too important as I figure almost everything will be closed on christmas day anyway, and as its only a 3 night package that really only leaves boxing day. Thanks for you help.

by Britannia2

Had a slow drive by today and realised I have seen it many times before. It looks fine from the outside.

by marmalade77

Thanks for looking. I'm sure it will be fine.

by Britannia2

Went by again late last night - its nicely illuminated at night and looks good. There is a convenience store that opens everyday and until late further long the road near the railway bridge so if you run short of anything you will get it through the Christmas holiday. There is also an interesing looking pub caleed the Crystal Palace that looks nice.
I would say it would be a 10 minute walk in to the town centre.

by marmalade77

Just wanted to thank you for your help regarding the Kilima Hotel. We are now back from our Christmas package and enjoyed our stay there. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the hotel was clean and felt very welcoming. The food in the restaurant was excellent. We would be happy to stay there again.

by Britannia2

Its great to get positive feedback - I wish more people we give infomation to would do this.

Travel Tips for York

You must visit the Catherdral....

by GordonP

You must visit the Catherdral. It is such a special place.
Also the city itself is a great place to walk around. I spent part of the morning walking along the old city walls.
A trip along the river on one of the boats is also a great pleasure. My fondest memory is the Catherdral.

TREASURER'S HOUSE

by EdinburghRoc

Much of the furniture is French, including a dressing table belonging to Louis XVI.
Each room is of a different period.
You will find it close to the Minster's North east corner. Chapter House. You could if you wish go down to see Roman Ghosts walking down the old Roman Road which goes under the house !

Hail Caeser

Did you know that...

by azrael99

Hail Caeser

Did you know that Constantine the Great was proclaimed Roman Emperor at the site of York Minster in AD 306. Infact I stood just a few metres away from that point - located in the crypts of the Minster.

York Screen - Arthouse in a mainstream location...

by Orbital_

Seen most of the sights? Bored? Fancy a good movie and/or a coffee? Not in the mood for multiplex movies or venues but fancy something more art house/independent?

York Screen has a lovely riverside location and is a great place to break the monotony of a tick-list tourist afternoon by catching a great movie and/or grabbing some lunch.

13-17 Coney Street, York, YO1 9QL

Fountains Abbey

by mdchachi

Like so many places in England, Fountains Abbey represents an amazing amount of history having been in active use from the 12th through the 16th centuries. Taking the free guided tour is highly recommended as it will bring the ruins to life and help you to imagine what this place was really like in its heyday.

We were lucky to have a beautiful summer-like day when we visited.

See the Fountains Abbey web site for additional information.

Comments