Queens Staith, Skeldergate, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 6DH, United Kingdom
Orbitz.com Booking.com CheapTickets.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about The Queens Hotel

Are you kidding?

I think those reviews were written by the staff! First of all the "king size" beds were at best a double, I was charged £5 to make requests that were not even fulfilled, and the front staff was rude. I thought I was getting a good deal but all I got was a bed that felt like I was laying on straight metal springs and a smokey room after requesting non-smoking and being charged £5 for that request. No where on their website does it tell you they charge for requests but don't be fooled. The location is the only plus about this hotel, but is it really worth a sleepness night? I think not.

great location

We stayed here for 3 nights which we only booked a few days prior to our departure. We got all the information we required via email then booked easily over the phone. We found the room spacious and clean. We did not use the restaurant for any meals other than breakfast which was excellent. If you needed anything you only needed to ask. The best point about the hotel was the friendliness of the staff. From cleaners to restaurant manager they were all very helpful with a smile of their face. The only bad point I can think of would be the parking facilities. There were none. This meant we had to park in a local car park (however this was close by)which cost £36 for our 3 night stay. We have never stayed in a hotel before where the car parking fee was not included in the price of the hotel bill.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay in York which was helped by the central location of the hotel.

Good location, shame about the paper walls

by TripAdvisor Member Meggymonster

Initial impressions are that the staff were very friendly, the hotel looked fine and the rooms certainly are spacious. I have to agree with other reviewers however, and state that they could do a little more to make the rooms appealing - a few pictures wouldn't go amiss. We visit York several times a year and love the atmosphere and the people. This is the first time we have stayed at the Queen's and if I'm being honest, it will be the last. The walls are paper thin - you really do hear EVERYTHING. I feel we may have been a little unlucky and had a group of people occupying several rooms on our floor, who insisted on banging on each others doors from around 7.30am for about an hour and leaving the doors to slam shut. Maybe it's just us, but we do like a lie in when we go away for a weekend. I'd suggest the Moat House (now the Park Inn) on the next road if you want to keep the central location, more balconie's available to book and have a great stay with great staff.

Everything you could want in a York Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sooz71

I've stayed in York several times in the past but this was my first trip to the Queens Hotel - and it certainly won't be my last.

I e-mailed my booking through, then telephone to confirm details, and found the service and help excellent. I arrived by train and got to the hotel about mid-day and found I was able to access my room immediately and freshen up after a long journey. The decor of the rooms is both modern yet with a traditional feel, a look not easy to get right. In the evening I decided to have a drink in the hotel bar (which incidentally has a balcony overlooking the river - very relaxing after breakfast or in the evening), never before have I found a hotel with friendlier people.

Breakfast was a buffet and constantly being topped up with freshly cooked food - again a bonus in a hotel serving a buffet breakfast.

All in all probably the best hotel I've stayed in - definitely had the most comfortable beds!!

Excellent Central Location

by TripAdvisor Member tabitha67

The Queens Hotel is well located within York's City Walls, which is great for walking to all major attractions. A modern property, the rooms at the front of the hotel overlook the river. The entrance for the reception is on the side of the building, and not easily identified. If you arrive by car, checking in can be difficult as there is no short term parking provision. If you require a parking space, make sure you book in advance, as spaces are very limited.

Our room at the rear of the hotel was large (a king and a single), and very clean. The room was very warm, so we had our window open during the night; unfortunately we were kept awake by the noise of people passing by (take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper).

The Furniture was in good condition, and fairly new. However the television reception was very poor and the beds very firm (we both found them very uncomfortable, as we like a soft mattress).

Breakfast was fair, but I've certainly had better. Overall it scores high marks for it's location, good condition, and cleanliness.

Whilst in York I would recommend taking a ghost tour, always informative and good fun. We also took a trip out to the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington, which was surprisingly interesting, as it focused not only on planes, but individuals.

York UK

by TripAdvisor Member stillroaming

We stayed at the Queens in July . This was our second stay at the hotel and the impression we got was that it was appearing a little "tired" and in need of refurbishment.
On arrival we were processed at reception and given room no72. The room was stifling with only a Velux roof window for ventilation and no view to the outside at all. The noise from the buildings opposite went on every night until the early hours of the morning with a little respite until heavy traffic noise started around 6am.
The hotel is in a wonderful position to explore the city as everything of interest is only a few minutes walk away. Car parking is limited and we had to park in an NPC car park away from the hotel at a cost of £12.50 a night.(the hotel also charges for parking if you are given a space)
Breakfast was hot, varied and plentiful. The rooms were clean as were the bathrooms but you need to take your own shampoo as the toiletries provided were fairly basic. We would stay at the hotel again but would ask to know the location of the room.

"Beautiful York"

by TripAdvisor Member Donna_&_David

We have just returned from a weekend away, staying at the excellent Queens Hotel.

We were advised at time of booking that the the non smoking ground floor may experience noise at night with it being on street level. We appreciated this advice but still booked a gound floor room. May I just say that we did not hear a peep. So don't let this put you off.

The room we stayed in was quite spacious. Decor was very nice and very clean. Not much toiletries in the bathroom but we always take our own.

The breakfast was buffet style and very nice indeed.

The staff were very polite and helpful.

The hotel is central to all the local sights, shops and bars.

We will most definately stay at The Queens Hotel on our next visit to York.

u cant get a better hotel to stay in anywhere 1st time stay and wont be the last

very pleasant stay staff very good but didnt need to see them no problems at all thank you very much again!

Comments