Hull Road, Wilberfoss, York, North Yorkshire, YO41 5PF, United Kingdom

The HospitiumThe Hospitium

Street EntertainmentStreet Entertainment

Richard III museum

by christine.j

Has anyone been to the Richard III museum in York?
Is it worth a visit? I don't have too much time in York, only 2 days, but I like the play by Shakespeare and would like to learn a bit more about Richard III.
The address I have is Monk's Bar. Is this a street name or a building?
I'd appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.
Christine

by hawkhead

Monk Bar is a mediaeval (14th century) gatehouse for the City of York. If you face the main entrance to York Minster, take the street immediately to the right - Dean Gate - and walk up it. It would be pretty impossible to miss Monk Bar!!

by seagoingJLW

Take a look at this website:

Hope it helps.

Joan

by henneth

The museum is quite compact as it is within the old guardroom above the gateway itself but it will at least give you an informed opinion of Richard III in a way Shakespeare never did.
The fact that 520 years after his death debate still continues amongst historians and enthusiasts alike, as to Richard's deeds within his lifetime. A victim of Tudor propaganda? A man with ruthless ambition? One certainty is that arguements will continue for years to come, but start off at this little museum and then introduce the topic down the pub or to the person sitting next to you on a bus or plane......Excuse me, but in what sort of light do you think Shakespeare portrayed Richard III, was it objective or emersed in the propaganda of the time?

by Sjalen

Indeed - as a former member of the Richard III Society (I no longer live in England and have so many other memberships these days) I was there several times when I lived in York. Not the main sight in the city, but definately worth the time if you are into Shakespeare. The winner writes history indeed, so no wonder Shakespeare wrote what he did.

Richard grew up in Yorkshire and had a great love for the county (see my Middleham page) even though his father's head was placed on a pole on Micklegate Bar (another of the city gates) before the city went Yorkist...The Council of the North was founded by Richard and is still very much alive in the north of England since his days - it met again during the Poll Tax era of Thatcher, so "Dickon" is very well liked here.

by christine.j

Thanks a lot for all your replies. I will definitely go there. Last time I flew back from England I picked up a book for reading in the plane, Josephine Tey:The Daughter of Time. I thought it was a classic detective story, a nice read for the plane, but it turned out to be a story about the inspector's attempt to find out the truth about the princes in the tower. It was very interesting and when I heard about this museum I wanted to go there.
Thanks again
Christine

by Sjalen

Haha, yes Daughter of Time is a Ricardian classic :)

by christine.j

And here I thought I was getting a nice whodoneit, when in fact I was getting a very interesting who didn't do it.
I'm looking forward to visiting the museum.

RE: RE: Richard III museum

by christine.j

Well, I liked the museum a lot and thought it was very interesting. It's just difficult to get to for people who have problems with stairs.

Travel Tips for York

Visit the Shambles … the...

by Kallista

Visit the Shambles … the stores, cafes, shophouses and buildings huddle so closely together that I can almost touch the shops on both sides of the street! The shops are filled with all sorts of goodies, … antiques, crafts, bric-a-bracs, … My friends and I bought so much souvenirs that we almost could not carry!

Church Details

by sandysmith

There is so much to take in in York - each visit there is a new discovery. Just walking around there are so many architectural gems to admire. I don't remember the name of this church or building (help Steve!) but the detail over the door caught my eye - thanks Steve its St Wilfrid's Catholic Church, on Duncombe Place.

Public Toilets

by cheekymarieh

The finest toilets to be found in York are at Betty's Tea Rooms. The city actually has come out badly in a public convenience survey ... but remember that if you visit here, it will be an expensive way to relieve yourself!

Yorkshire.

by mwe

OK, so Yorkshire is not exactly "Off The Beaten Path" as it dominates northern England, but I think it's the best heading to put information about the area surrounding York: i.e. Yorkshire.

Wikipedia does this better than I can, so click the weblink below.

YORKSHIRE MOORS

by keeweechic

The Yorkshire Moors are 35 miles North from York is the area called the North York Moors which separate North Yorkshire from the industrial area of Teesside. The National Park area comprises 23,000 hectares of Forestry Commission land. The North York Moors has England's largest expanse of heather covered moorland and is bound on the eastern edge by a dramatic unspoilt coastline of some of England's highest cliffs. Access to the sandy shore is limited to just a handful of fishing villages and the ancient towns of Whitby and Scarborough.

In late summer, the heather is in full bloom and the moors become a magnificent purple carpet, so pretty. I was lucky enough to be there at that time. At other times of the year, the moors appear barren and forbidding.

Comments