York Youth Hotel

11/13 Bishophill Senior, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 6EF, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data
  • Dirty and smelly - would not recommend

My brother and I changed our itinerary late and couldn't get another night at the B&B we'd planned to stay at, so we booked one night at the youth hostel. We couldn't wait to get out. The room smelled very bad, was dirty, the matresses were very futon-ish...uncomfortable with little support. Laundry facilities and game room were nice, but this did not make up for the smell in our room. Ick.

Unique Quality: The game room was nice...great place to shoot a round of pool or play a game of ping-pong.

• X-medea-X's Profile Photo

Simple rooms, great location

I stayed there twice already and I'm going back this summer. It's the cheapest in York, and it's good value because it's really close to everything. Most other 'cheaper' hotels are outside the walls. The rooms aren't spectacular, but the beds are ok, and that's the most important thing about a hotel anyway. The showers are bad though, I still haven't figured out how to change the temperature to something other than freezing or nearly boiling. The showers and toilets are cleaned everyday, trash is taken out of the rooms every day, etc. so everything is clean.

Prices are £25 for a single, £19 pppn for a double and about £12-15 for a dorm bed.

Unique Quality: It's close to everything really: the station, shops, pubs, etc. Close to Indian take-away Akash Tandoori, too.

There's a small shop in the hotel, a living room, internet access, a kitchen, a night porter and no curfew.

• blackmamba's Profile Photo

nice and quiet

We wher 8 girls shering one room, but we all was thinkig about each other and wher quiet.

Hostle was nice and clean.

Breakfas was a bit to small.. well there was not enough bacon.. and I love it...

bit outside of teh city so it a bit to walk, but it's very nice to walk by the river and i also easy to find.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

York Youth Hotel

Well...I stayed here in 1995 when I came to look for work and as hostels go, this has all the things you could expect, although a very small kitchen. The showers are cold but clean and they sell a few necessities like soap, tea etc. in the reception. There are bunk-bed dorms of all sizes from four and upwards. The only drawback is that it is a popular place for school trips so you often find the games room/dining hall full of young, noisy children whom they sometimes arrange disco evenings for (although it's not as disturbing as it sounds). After staying for a few weeks, I was asked by staff I wanted a room in a house across the road with them instead to save money as they realised I was staying on. When I came back in 1996, they had another room for me in their house :) Location is great, within the city walls and within easy walking distance to the railway and coach stations as well as town centre.

Unique Quality: No, not the most cheerful hostel I've tried but worth staying because of its central location and also because it has a bar which is open when the pubs are closed and you don't fancy neither clubbing nor bed. This also means someone will open the door late at night if you've been out. A very easygoing place.

Directions: Bishophill Senior, just off Micklegate inside the city walls.

Comments