Your Hotel Lady Anne Middletons

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 76% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Lady laze!

I big thank you to Poons for this recommendation for DAO's VT meeting in York.

The hotel has good facilities including a gym with free weight area, a counter current hydro-therapy training pool (ooh), saunas (separate male and female), as well as a range of classes including aerobics, spinning & circuits. The hotel is also set within very pleasant grounds whilst being located fairly centrally within York itself.

The hotel restaurant serves a good breakfast with a full selection of fruit, cereal and full English breakfast selection (including kippers).

My only negative comment would be that the walls are rather on the thin side. My room was next to the stairs and I could hear people coming and going (unlike Poons, who had much more entertaining noises to listen to!).

Unique Quality: The hotel comprises a number of different listed buildings which are nestled around a courtyard and garden area. Whilst remarkably secluded and almost tranquil, it is in close proximity to all the main tourist attractions in York.

Directions: Being set back off the road and on a side street, it may be easier to take a taxi for your first time and then orientate yourself from the hotel.

• poons's Profile Photo

An Historical Oasis

A totally non-smoking hotel (with a bar & restaurant). The complex comprises of 6 historically listed buildings in a courtyard garden. Very pretty in summer I imagine.
    The car park, gym, pool & sauna (free for residents to use) are all within the complex too.

Bookings can be made via the internet, ie: www.active.hotels.com. I got a great 3 night deal this way rather than booking direct with the hotel.

Rooms have coffee/tea making facilities, colour TV & direct dial phones.

Excellent location, friendly staff, could get a beer anytime, humungous breakfast. I'd definitely stay here again.

Only downside - the walls were a bit thin. There was a shag-fest going on next door when I arrived there at tea-time...(quite amusing, hehe)

Unique Quality: Felt like a tranquil oasis, but right in the heart of York.
    I really felt happy and relaxed after my weekend stay here.

Directions: A nice 10 minute walk over the River Ouse to York Minster and the tourist attractions.

• YorkMeeting2007's Profile Photo

HISTORIC AND NEAR THE TRAIN STATION

THIS SITE COMPRISES 6 LISTED BUILDINGS AND IS NEAR THE TRAIN STATION, CENTRE AND THE RIVER. AVAILABLE ON BOOKINGS.COM FOR £70 (TOTAL) FOR A DOUBLE ROOM.

GETS MIXED REVIES, BUT LOOKS NICE.

More about Your Hotel Lady Anne Middletons

Good Location for a Two Star Hotel

I stayed here with other members of my family for 1 night only.For a two star hotel which is the correct rating for this establishment dont expect 4 or 5 star services but what do you expect for a 2 star as long the rooms are clean which it was, and the breakfast is very good more than expected.You can have the Full English or and fresh fruit,cerels toast tea and coffee very impressed with this.

Rooms:We were in the Chaplin building(I think)
Our room had twin beds very large room,clean and very modern.My Mums room was very cosy but maybe needed a change in modern decor. But again its a two star so you cannot be fussy.All rooms have tea and coffee and rooms have ensuite which was very clean could not moan at that.

Very good location just walk out and turn left then a right,then over the bridge and you are in the centre of York.

Do not let other people put you off they are probably very snobbish,dont get me wrong I have stayed in other 4 and 5 star hotels and you know the difference

But this hotel clearly advertises as a 2star so this is what you will get in terms of facilties etc.

Overall I would say that its an average 2 star and you are paying for the location ,location

Thanks for reading

Give it a chance

by TripAdvisor Member keithsboat

Had to book here late as. Needed to book 3 rooms which were available a little worried with being so late and reading some of the reviews on here. All 3 rooms were clean . Good staff in reception and bar (We did not eat in)

True the rooms are a little dated but not as bad as some I have stayed in. The 3 travelers have added to our possible hotels to stay in at York

Great value for money

After reading some of the reviews on here I was a bit wary of staying at this hotel, but it was the only hotel that we could get into that had free parking.

What a pleasant surprise. The hotel is in a beautiful quiet spot, but only a couple of minutes walk to the shops and cafes of York. The layout of the hotel is quite quirky but the bedrooms have recently been redecorated, were spacious, very clean and had a great power shower. I admit that the room was not luxurious but it was pleasant and more than adequate for our needs.

The reception and restaurant staff were friendly and efficient. The table d'hote menu in the restaurant was excellent value for money - £17.95 for 4 courses and coffee, with a good and interesting choice on the menu. The wine list was not expensive - we tried some of the local Yorkshire fruit wines at only £7.50 per bottle.

Don't expect luxury at this hotel - but you can expect clean, pleasant surroundings at a reasonabe price. we'd certainly go back!!

What a find.

by TripAdvisor Member Floman

I also was a little sceptical when reading the revues of this hotel. We needn't have worried. We arrived on Friday night just in time for dinner. The food was excellent and the staff were as good if not better than many hotels we have visited and that includes some of the best in the country. Due to the long term absence of the restaurant manager a young german girl called Anna was in charge. Her command of english was very good and she would have been a credit to any restaurant in the land. The remaining staff were all first class and attentive without being overbearing. The chefs without doubt took great pride in their work. Breakfast was superb and you could have anything from the comprehensive menu which appeared to be locally sourced. On arriving back late on Saturday night having been to the theatre we were allowed into the restaurant (despite dinner being finished) for cheese and biscuits which is all we requested. The rooms are not luxury but ours was clean and comfortable with a large bath and shower. Our first night's sleep was undisturbed which is unusual in a strange bed. We were so impressed with the food that we stayed for Sunday lunch (excellent value at £11.50 per head) before venturing home. We could find minor faults if we looked for them but this is a two star hotel of considerable charm and character. It has its quirks but I personally prefer this to the corporate boxes that we have forced upon us nowadays. It is privately owned and the owners were on site and happy to have a chat even on Sunday morning. A bonus is the free on site parking and the pleasant surroundings so close to the city. The only complaint we had, which is purely personal, is that fact that smoking is still allowed in the bar/lounge but no doubt this will cease next year.

Disappointment

We have just stayed in this hotel for one night. It looks lovely on the website and brochure. Admittedly, the location is great and the garden is quite nice.
However, the room was decidedly drab and had no sense of style whatsoever. Dreadful wallpaper, even the four poster bed was of the naff variety, peeling paint in the bathroom and 2 spiders on the sheet when I wanted to go to bed.
The worst thing however was the cooked breakfast - the scrambled eggs and mushrooms were disgusting.
I found a good internet rate for this hotel, but for some reason could not book it online (old computer). Rang up and explained, asked for the same rate, receptionist checked with somebody and came back to say that price was ok.
When the confirmation came through the post, they had added £20. When I mentioned the discrepancy when it came to paying, the manager got quite unfriendly and was insisting on the higher rate.
Obviously it is up to them to set their rates, even though in my estimation they have set them too high, judging by the standard of our room and the breakfast. Having agreed to the lower rate on the phone however they certainly should have made a note of it. The very least I would have expected was a friendlier way of dealing with the problem. We will not go back to this hotel.

A Good Choice

by TripAdvisor Member MB15

We were a party of six females and we stayed in 3 twin rooms on the weekend 14th to 16th July. We asked for, and got, quiet rooms away from stairs etc., two of the rooms being particularly large.

The staff were very helpful, offering maps and directions, without having to be asked. Well done!

The breakfasts were plentiful, hot food cooked to order and masses of fruits, cereals, yoghurts etc. well manned and nothing was too much trouble.

We booked the pool for both mornings and very much enjoyed our private swims and the sauna rounded it off nicely.

The grounds are lovely and parking was spacious, easy & free!

Within a 5 minute walk you were at Skeldergate or Ouse Bridge, the location is perfect.

We all agreed that this hotel was quite a find and we'd stay here again.

We purchased 48hr York Passes on the internet and found them to represent very good value for money.

Don't miss York Dungeon, York Eye and Castle Museum.

Jumbo Chinese Buffet Restaurant is worth tracking down; £8.00 per head, all you can eat, any evening.

good location

by TripAdvisor Member RuthnRobinM

This hotel is in a good location with parking. It is clean if a little old fashioned in decor. We had one of the cottage rooms which was very spacious with a very small tv. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

Comments