Fawsley North Hants, Daventry, Northamptonshire NN
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Fawsley Hall Hotel-Daventry

Fascinating but a little arrogant

by TripAdvisor Member XPat55

Fawsley Hall is magnificent as a building although sadly some significant portions are neglected such as the formal garden laid out by Capability Brown which was at the time of our visit becoming weed choked and some of the staff were a little "superior". Of note though for being otherwise were the bar manager and the night manager both of who made one feel very comfortable.

The great hall impressive by day is awe inspiring by night with the lights low and lit by candles. Our room #20 was absolutely splendid with no finer view to be found anywhere. The room itself although not vast was beautifully furnished, the bathroom adequate with lovely accessories and high quality toiletries.

Would we stay there again, probably not, Rushton Hall is not many miles away and is even more impressive.

Enjoyable

Stayed at this venue for one night.
The food was very good, and the hotel was clean loads of room in the bedrooms and beautiful decor.
The wonderful heritage also makes for a great stay.
I really did not find any negative aspects to my stay, particularly as I recieved a voucher giving me a great dinner and one night stay offer which I wilkl take up.

Felt unwelcome, let down and ripped off

by TripAdvisor Member AidenOC

The impression of the hotel as you drive up is amazing, but sadly thats where it ends. The car park is a long way from the hotel when you have any accessiblitly challenges, and the walkways are hardly lit at all.
They had a wedding on and the guests spilled drunkenly into the main hall, which became crowded and uncomfortable.
The wine waiter treats ordinary people with contempt, and for the prices, should help guests choose wine, not question their judgement.
The starter and dessert were superb, but vastly overpriced, and the main course for £28 was poor quality and size (and they forgot the sauce). The staff went for a break half way through our meal so new waiters mixed up our food and forgot one dessert entirely.
When we retired for coffee in the lounge, the manager then set up an private area around us and rather than ask us to move, made us feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.
£250 for 4 people is not acceptable for that standard of food and service. Le Manoir is better value and setting.
I wouldn't go again or recommend it.

Fawsley Excellence

by TripAdvisor Member Londoner016

Please ignore the bad reviews - this place is worth going to, if only to see the magnificent Tudor style great hall - grand, majestic, warm, full of old paintings and period furniture/ornamentation. The setting is rustic, calm and peaceful. The restaurant, is expensive, but, Elizabeth II once stayed here, so I guess it's expected! The food was close to a "Gordon Ramsey" standard of haute cuisine, so worth every penny. The only gripe is that when weddings take place there, paying hotel guests have to take a back seat when it comes to using facilities. There was also a very rude Italian head waiter there - but the excellence of the surroundings and interior decor won through in the end!

Great food but expensive rooms

by TripAdvisor Member JulesMc

We spent Saturday night (23rd Feb) here for our wedding anniversary. We booked a junior suite and the confirmation stated that this would have a 4 poster bed. However, there was no 4 poster bed and when we queried it we were made to feel that it was our mistake (I had not brought along the email confirmation). Having said that, when my husband emailed them the 'proof' this morning they did apologise and have offered a 25% reduction if we stay with them again (which we won't do but it was a nice, and genuine, gesture).

We paid £379 for the room with continental breakfast and, whilst the room was nice enough, it was not worth that sort of money. Our friends paid the same rate and their room didn't have a bath! Luckily, they were able to change the room (the hotel dealt with that very well).

The food in the restaurant was excellent and I felt it was worth what we paid (around £270 for the 4 of us including wine and coffee). The apple pe parfait was particularly good. Service was not the best with the waiter constantly leaning across me to serve my husband but this was just a minor niggle.

We won't go back because the whole experience just wasn't special enough for £600 total (although it was nice enough).

The market town of Daventry, NorthamptonshireThe market town of Daventry, Northamptonshire

Comments