Staverton Park Hotel

De Vere Staverton Park Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Staverton Park Hotel

Not recommended for a romantic Easter Break.

by TripAdvisor Member JanJanDartford

Ok for corporate functions, not great for long weekends for 2, especially at Easter!
The dining room was under staffed, & the menu very limited.
The bedroom was adequate, but as with many UK hotels, not well soundproofed... hence listening to next doors TV at 1am!
The swimming pool & beauty salon are in a separate building, which negates the 'pampering' effect if you have to walk through snow & rain to return to your room.
For a nicer ambience I woud recommend one of the De Veres Heritage hotels. The Staverton Park is fine for an overnight stay.

Great golf club & hotel pretty good too

by TripAdvisor Member brightonbombshell

I stayed here with my husband for a 3 day golf break I booked via Golf Breaks.Com for his 40th birtthday. Having read the reviews I was rather concerned as his birthday is on Valentines Day and the reviews mentioned stag parties rampaging through the hotel however we had a great stay and found the hotel great value and the staff friendly and helpful.

We played golf on the day we arrived and as I play off a 28 handicap and he plays off 18 I was worried that the course would be far too difficult for me however playing golf at Staverton Park was a fantastic experience and a real confidence booster. My husband also played well and as the course is quite open it is very forgiving for beginners. Even the par 5's aren't too horredous & a buggy is not required. The range was good albeit mostly open air and the staff at the club shop were very helpful. The clubhouse was being refurbished when we played there however there was a great tea stop between the 1st and the 10th which did the best bacon rolls and was reasonably priced. We also played 18 holes of golf again on the 2nd & 3rd days and had a great time.

Whilst we were playing on the first day I saw that part of the hotel was being refurbished as they were wheeling a load of old toilets out of one wing. I became quite alarmed as our own house was being worked on and I did not want to stay in another building site & lo and behold when we went to check into our room at 2pm it overlooked the container full of old toilets!!!! Not good however when we went back to reception we were quickly moved to a much more superior room on the lower ground floor. The receptionist explained to us that we had been given the first room because we were there to play golf and it was closer to the main entrance which seemed reasonable.

Dinner & breakfast were included in the price and both meals were excellent. Lots of choice & good food for a hotel. The steaks were superb & cooked to our liking & the chargrilled bacon at breakfast is delicious. The staff were also fantastic. They were polite and helpful and the young polish man who was the wine waiter was spot on and a real credit to the hotel. He knew his wine & pointed out more than one good bottle to us whilst we were staying there.

The bar was very nice and not full of stag parties at all. We stayed wed to fri and found it sociable without being rowdy although beware of the pool tables as the one closest to the door is slanted!

The refurbished room we had was very nice with flat screen tvs and were not at all conferency.

Altogether the Staverton Park Hotel was a great place to spend 3 days at. The golf course is beautiful and the club members we spoke to were friendly and helpful and not at all snooty. The hotel was great value, with good food and a nice bar. Would definitely recommend but be sure any room you book is not in the part being refurbished!

Modern and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member TravellingMuppet

Stayed here for one night in January for a conference held in the hotel. Given the number of us arriving I didn't experience a normal check in experience but the staff were astonishingly efficient and very friendly.

The hotel is a couple of miles outside Daventry set in landscaped grounds next to a golf course. There's plenty of parking and the hotel is set back far enough from the road to avoid any problems with noise.

The rooms have been recently refurbished and are close in style to a city centre boutique hotel, complete with modern touches such as a flat screen television and free internet access (a nice touch when so many others charge a fortune for this). The bed was extremely comfortable and I felt refreshed in the morning.

Breakfast was top notch with further little touches such as cups of juice to take away. The selection and service was also very good.

There appears to be some building work going on although as I was staying on a Friday night, I'm not sure of the impact of this during the week. Some corridors were a bit messy and this did detract from the otherwise clean and tidy appearance of the hotel.

Would definitely stay here again.

Lacking attention to detail but adequate for work events...

by TripAdvisor Member ChunkyChicken

I stayed at this venue recently for a work conference. The buffet lunch was awful, dried up chicken on sticks with some random pasty like things which turned out to be spring rolls, nothing was labelled, there was nowhere to sit down to eat (although I appreciate it was a buffet there is usually a chair somewhere to sit on or at least a table to put a drink on, both were severely lacking here!).

The venue itself seems quite dated with a bit of a mish-mash of furniture and decoration, almost like they've just added things which they think will be a good idea even if they don't fit it.

The evening meal was better than lunch but still not great, the chicken tasted more like pork and the creme brulee was like 2 day old dried up custard, not nice (especially as I absolutely love Creme Brulee and this was a very poor imitation of one!).

The bedrooms are the best part of the hotel, I think they have probably been refurbished recently, not hugh but everything you need and very clean.

Overall I certainly wouldn't book to stay somewhere like this at a weekend as it lacks the little things and could do with updating but for a quick stop over for work or something similar then it would do the job.

Lacks attention to detail

by TripAdvisor Member HippyTraveller

There as part of a training group, training facilities excellent, coffee stations around the hotl very good idea and usually well-maintained. Bedrooms fine although I did find a pair of socks in the middle of he floor, coffee supplies were never re-filled. Told at reception to use Room card to pay for drinks but then refused at the bar because I had not swiped a card in, would have been nice if I had been asked so to do. Food uninspiring and as a group of limited chice. Buy yor drinks in the bar and take throughto dining room, large galss of wine in the abr£5, small glass in the dining room £6.35, didn't appear to be any lines on the glass so not sure how they gauge it. Breakfast included barbecued bacon, smoky burnt and dripping in fat. sevice not great thay think if they always call you "Sir" they are giving good service. Better than some but could do better

excellent for conferences, rooms nice

by TripAdvisor Member makeshya

stayed here for one night for a business conference. This hotel is very big and easy to get lost!

We always have issues with drinks, as our business pays for them but the bar refuse to put the drinks back to our rooms without a credit card. We just refuse to check out until its sorted which usually does the trick!

My room was lovely, all integrated and the tv was intergated too. was a bit miffed that there was no air con but the radiator was quite powerful and kept the room warm.

breakfast was the best ive had in a hotel for a while. massive plates thick sausages, large mushrooms and a chef who can be seen cooking all this fresh! There is also a station for you to have a freshly made omlette. to be honest ive only ever seen this when on holiday so I was impressed!

Lunch was even better, it was served in the restaurant where breakfast was sevred with plenty of seating. the choice was immense and it felt like dinner rather than lunch! there was fish and chips, roast beef, fresh salad which you made up yourself and freshly made sandwiches!

Various coffee stations filled with all types of tea, coffee and busicuits were a nice touch.

all in all a very good hotel. would definately stay again.

not brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member swordfish9

Stayed at the staverton for a night over easter on 26th , i was really excited after getting a special offer direct with the hotel for £29 for room only and £ 5 each for breakfast . And it looked loovely on the internet .
But unfortunatley wasnt a brilliant stay , we laugh about it though ! . The hotel it self is large but sort of basic , a cross between a travel lodge type and a holiday inn . The staff were not very old which doesnt fill you with much confidence , the lads behind the bar were eating crisps and joking about . The hotel room was basic ok in size but no mini bar , no room service , had to ask for more than 2 pillows and had to call reception 3 times . Attempted to have dinner , but had to return it , as we placed our order with the young foreign waiter and before our drinks came we had been served the dinner , in less than 5 mins , ( a lamb shank and turkey breast ) which made me very worried , i couldnt get my knife through so i didnt eat it and refused to pay . But when i advised the waiter he hadnt got a clue what i said and brought me the bill for 2 main courses and starters . !
The pool is a dissapointment , more of an public swimming bath type thing , needs refurb and we had to walk in the snow and rain across the car park , i dont think i would go again even though £ 29 breakfast was a un relaxing affair again had to find our own table and then seacrh for cups , plates , cultery etc etc

Lovely relaxing weekend

by TripAdvisor Member cupcakeUk

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel for a weekend away, purely to get away for a few days. Yes the pool is located in a building across the car park, but almost everytime we used this we had it completely to ourselves. The golf course can be seen from the pool and spa which makes for a nice view while relaxing.
Staff seemed all very helpful, depsite the fact that we arrived i the middle of what seemed hundreds of others for weekend conference!
The room was beautiful, very spacious, huge bed and a lovely bathroom.
The brunches were not the best that we had experienced, but this did nothing to hamper the lovely weekend. Would definitley re-visit if in the area

Do not be in a hurry......

by TripAdvisor Member JSJGE

Stayed for 2 nights with family, including two kids ( ages 5 & 7).

Rooms comfortable, and food was fine; when it finally arrived !! Had to wait for an hour for sandwiches at lunctime, and long wait also in the restaurant in the evening. Booked table in advance, then confirmed when checking in, but when turning up at the restuarant in the evening, they were not expecting us - poor communication here.

Had bar meal on second night but another hour wait for the food. Then promised a free dessert to compensate, but this did not materialise either, so we left !

The only time the bar man spoke to us was to apologise !

Golf course was in poor condition, with work in progress and resultant disruption to the course, and it looked very scruffy in parts. One hole was temporarily out of use, but we were not told this when paying green fees, and not given any discount to reflect this.

Although staff were friendly and rooms OK, this is not a family orientated hotel and food service was not good enough for the price we were paying. OK for business use and anyone who doesn't mind waiting an eternity to receive their food !

A fantastic stay!

by TripAdvisor Member chicken26

We recently stayed at this hotel on 23/05/08. Our stay was fantastic. All we were looking for, was an inexpensive stay at a hotel with spa facilities... and that is what we got. Our room was lovely, very clean with a modern feel to it. We chose a classic double and it was really nice. The room came with bottled water, coffee and tea facilities! There is also free coffee facilities for use all around the hotel and free internet access in the reception area.
The bar and restaurant area are also very nice. All though we didn't eat our meal in the restaurant, we did see that both the bar an restaurant served food at a reasonable price. We choose to eat at a pub about a 5 min drive away called The Countryman. This was also very nice (basic pub food!)The view from the room was beautiful and we were lucky enough to look over the 18th hole! The spa facilities include a jacuzzi, pool, sauna, steam room and gym. The facilities are a 3 min walk from the hotel (so very close) You are also able to play a round of golf or use the driving range at a small cost. The staff were very helpful and on asking for a later checkout (so we could use the facilities the next morning) they were more then helpful to oblige and didn't charge us. All, in all the trip cost us £49 (including breakfast) A fully enjoyable stay. I found no faults what so ever with this hotel.

Comments