Cross Street, Moulton, Northampton, NN3 7RZ, United Kingdom
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Northampton

Market, Northampton, England.Market, Northampton, England.

A copy of a postcard, it's the best I could do!A copy of a postcard, it's the best I could do!

Relocating to the area

by gregh104

Hello, In June I will be relocating to Kettering from the United States. I am 28 years old, and am looking to live in a place that has a decent amount of things to do. I was looking into Northampton and wanted to see how the commute would be to/from Kettering, and if it would be possible to do so by rail. Also, are there any other areas I should consider looking into as well?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

by chrisisclub

I prefer Leicester to Northampton. Whilst Leicester is a bit further away, it is on the same Midland Mainline route as Kettering I reckon. (the line is the Leeds to London - St Pancras line (which will pretty soon be the direct London train link to the channel tunnel to mainland Europe!!!)

Coventry is ok - but quite a distance away from Kettering - and not as well linked by rail (I think)

I am not sure how Kettering and Northampton are linked by rail. .. I guess that they will be some how.

I think that Northampton is a bit of a dead end city, whereas Leicester has quite a bit of character and life.

by Britannia2

You cannot commute by train but there is an hourly bus service that takes one hour from Northampton to Kettering - the timetable is here :-
I think this would be a bit tedious everyday - I would choose Leicester and use Midland Mainline trains (www.midlandmainline.co.uk)

by leics

I think I'd go for Leicester too (I am a bit biased, obviously). Loads going on, incredibly multi-cultural place.........

Have a look at my Leicester/Leicestershire pages to give yourself an idea.........

by gregh104

Thank you all for the great advice. Leicester does look like a very fun city, I can't wait to check it out!

by leics

Good! (Not that I'm biased.................. :-) )

Comments