New St, Oundle, PE8 4EA, United Kingdom

Talbot Hotel
Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

• Lousy customer service

I have stayed in the Talbot previously, however unfortunately this establishment has taken a wrong turn over the past few years. The last time I was due to stay there I had to cancel my reservation. I attempted to do so a couple of days before my arrival, but I called several times with no answer. Their explanation for this was that 'mornings are a bit busy', which I found to be quite a poor excuse. When I managed to get through to them the next day, they first told me that I would have to pay for 2 nights as a penalty, even though I had attempted to cancel it the previous day. Then they changed it to 1 night. I explained to them that the confirmation email I had received stated that there would be no penalty for cancellations within 48 hours of arrival, but unfortunately the person on the reservations desk did not speak very good english and this was very difficult to communicate. Apparently there is a contradiction between their online cancellation policy and the one that exists in their confirmation emails, but they still insisted on charging a penalty even after I pointed this out.

After this experience I will never stay at the Talbot again. I would recommend that other guests find an alternate hotel with better customer service and a more polite staff.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

The Elizabethan Talbot Hotel

I didn't actually stay here, since my home was in nearby Peterborough.

Unique Quality: The Talbot Hotel dates back to Elizabethan times (the 16th century). Some parts were brought from the ruins of Fotheringhay Castle. This includes the staircase that Mary Queen of Scots walked down on her way to her execution. It is said that her ghost still haunts this old hotel.

Directions: On the main town square in Oundle.

Comments