Bondgate Within, Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66 1TD, United Kingdom
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about White Swan Hotel - Alnwick

Cleanest Bathroom Ever

by TripAdvisor Member J027

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. Both nights' sleep were interrupted by wedding parties in the ballroom below. We were not warned that there were going to be weddings on when we were there and to be honest it never occured to us that there would be. Although the music (which carried up through the floor and also up the stairwell) stopped at midnight, there then followed an hour of drunken antics below our window and the diesel engines of taxis idling interminably.

There were only 4 channels on the TV (although it did have a DVD player) and a big damp patch in the corner of the room. The light bulb had gone in one of the lamps and not replaced until I took the bulb out and left it next to the lamo so it could not be missed.

We looked for a lift when we arrived and was told there wasn't one. I have a bad back and we had two heavy cases as we were away for a week, albeit staying in other hotels on the other nights. We were not offered any help with the cases. I wonder if they have ground floor rooms - if not, they will probably be in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act.

Having said that, the Ballroom is amazing - taken from the sister ship of the Titanic, and our room had the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel. The room was small but very chic. The staff were all a bit surly and the breakfast choice not as varied as other hotels I've stayed in of the same price.

The hotel has been recently refurbished and they charge 'big boys' prices, but still have a way to go to be in their league.

Al Dente Potatoes?

by TripAdvisor Member RalphManchester

Good Points..........
I visited this hotel with my wife in a party of 29 from Manchester just for the one (Sunday) night. The hotel is very clean with pleasant helpful staff and the rooms were comfortable and also very clean with modern bathrooms. Ideally located in the town centre and just around the corner from the Alnwick castle and gardens (Which was the reason for the visit)
Bad Points............
I have just two criticisms 1) Does the large extractor vent from the kitchens have to be left on ALL night when there is clearly no cooking happening making for a noisy nights sleep (I'm glad I wasn't nearer as some rooms were. and 2) They should get a chef who knows how to cook potatoes - NOT AL DENTE. they were like bullets and the cauliflour was almost raw. They spoiled and otherwise nice meal. Had I not been with a large group I would have sent it back.

Overpriced with awful staff

by TripAdvisor Member bondino

What a disgrace this hotel is! Being part of a 30-strong wedding party, with the bride and groom being in the bridal suite, you would expect us to get friendly service. Not so! We were made unwelcome from start to finish (despite us being a very civil group). All 30 of us ate in the evening in the restaurant where the nice food was tainted by appallingly rude staff, those of whom could speak English, who tutted and shook their heads at us, or rudely grabbed plates from us. 3 of us were separately sent next door for our free bistro desserts as we were "not allowed" to have them in the restaurant, despite having the rest of the bistro meal there (we had to leave the other 27 and there was no-one else in the restaurant apart from us anyway!). Eventually someone else came and apologised for how we had been treated, but it didn't improve for the whole 2 days we were there. Breakfast was a similar disaster story....
The only saving grace was that they actually forgot to charge most of us for the food when we checked out. Perhaps if they charged people for the food they could afford better staff!!??
As for the room, what a diappointment. For the "special offer" of £95 per night I expected something nice, as I've stayed in some amazing places for that price. Instead we got 2 single beds which they 'zipped' together when prompted, the bath blocked up regularly, and it was simply bland. One of the guests was also walked-in on by a maid at 7.30am for god knows what reason, with no apology.
Several guests agreed that they would be writing negative reviews after our experience, and I would never stay here again. It is only the lack of hotel competition in the area which saves this place, but get yourself a local little B and B and save your cash!

Good nights stay. Loved the dining room

by TripAdvisor Member septemberBath

The tourist information found the hotel and booked it for us. Paid £75 for two for bed and breakfast. Hotel car park very small but we were lucky and found a space. Asked for a quiet room. Room was very nice but found next door was a noisy hum, which was made when people ran water, so the thought of that going all night, we asked for another room and got one further along overlooking a public car park.

Dinner was very expensive in the dining room about £30 a head, too much for us, did not fancy the bistro so went out into the town and found a superb steakhouse above another small restaurant, fabulous steaks. it is beyond the tourist information in the square. Very nice
people working there.

We had a good nights stay. Spacious room, good bathroom, flat screen TV.

Breakfast next day was in the lovely dining room, Wood paneling from the sister ship of the Titanic. Worth staying there just to enjoy this amazing dining room, it is from the first class smoking salon. Wow they were lucky. Help yourself breakfast, hot and cold, all delicious. Loved it. Would love to stay here again.

Much better than anticipated

by TripAdvisor Member fletch91

We were more than pleasantly suprised with our visit especially after reading reviews here and elsewhere. We stayed overnight on the 28th Nov our wedding anniversary and we had a really good time. We only paid £79 for 2 for D B and B plus 2 tickets for the Alnwick Garden experience. We found the staff in all cases to be friendly and helpful and the service in the dining room was first class. We had a choice of eating from the table de hote in the Olympic Suites ot we were offered £21.95 against any meal we wanted in the Hardy Bistro. We ate in the Olympic dining room and it was a good experience. Just a couple of points, There is no lift and there are no disabled rooms. Our room no 116 was well furnished and obviously had been refurbished. It lacked nothing. There was a bit of noise from a distant fan somewhere during the night but it did not disturb us although I fear that rooms nearere may well have suffered. There was a coah party of 40+ staying there at the same time and they did monopolise the lounges after the meal but they ate slightly earlier than the rest of the guests which made life easy. I would certainly describe this as an above average 3 star hotel and we will certainly return if the same sort of deal occurs. PS parking is restricted and entrance to the car park is through an arch at the front of the hotel.

good stay

by TripAdvisor Member strawbear

stayed 1 night and was very satisfied with the overall performance
bedroom was very good size with very comfortable bedding plenty of crisp white pillows
lovely clean bathroom with the usual complimentary toiletries but nicely set out on the sink
hair dryer and ironing board also in the cupboard
did not have dinner but breakfast was good choices were a plenty and service supervised a b a excellent breakfast supervisor
who unlike my last entry was watching all the tables first class
quick and efficient reception handled the check in and check out very well
what i would like to see as this hotel will have many senior citizen trips both winter and summer is a lift
overall very good clean hotel and definitely will stay again

Highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member N.Yorks

Booked via Travel Zoo. Unfortunately the hotel were unaware of our reservation. However, we were given a suite for the same price as a double room and this proved to be quite sumptuous. Only complaint was the room was very cold. Asked for the cold radiator to be attended to but this didn't happen. Bathroom was also uncomfortably cold but we were told that because of H & S regs the towel rails had had to be turned off. However, beautiful white towels, plentiful bathroom requisites and great shower. Food in the Bistro was excellent. Service was brilliant and staff couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant. Yes there was a little noise as parties left the hotel's function suite but you have to expect some noise problems in an old hotel with a room facing onto the main street. The function suite/dining room by the way is gorgeous, with panelling from Titanics sister ship gracing the walls. Worth a visit just to see this.
Whilst in the area, avoid the 'Jolly Fisherman' at Craster. This seems to be run by the "Adams Family". Possibly the strangest welcome (or non-welcome) I've ever encountered in a pub the world over. Probably worth a visit just to see how odd these people are!!
A lovely 2 night break and highly recommended to all.

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member PennyPumpkin

We stayed at The White Swan for out honeymoon night on October 20th 2007.
After very helpful communication on booking with a very cheerful and friendly receptionist whose name we think was Carl, we checked in on the night of our honeymoon. The night porter was very friendly and helped us with our things.
We arrived in our room which was facing onto the main street and all we can say is wow. The room was clean, cosy and very welcoming. The bed was huge and very comfortable indeed with fresh clean linen. The Tv was amazing and offered digital TV.
The next morning when we awoke we phoned down to reception and a very helpful lad took our order a bacon butty. It arrived within 5 minutes and it was very tasty indeed.
Overall the hotel was excellent clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful and certainly made our honeymoon a one to remember. I am sure we will book again.
If you ever visit Alnwick stay at the marvellous White Swan we assure you, you will not be dissapointed!

Exceptional Service

by TripAdvisor Member colinlee

Firstly, I havent actually stayed there but thats not the point of this review.......

My wife and I are expecting our first baby and fancied a night away before the big day, so I called and the (Scottish) lady that answered the phone was the most helpful and polite person I have dealt with in years. I expalined why we were coming and the possibility that we may have to cancel depending on the baby situation. She was excellent. reserved me a good room and said that if I had to cancel then no problem and they would welcome us all back (including baby) in the future.

I called just now to cancel and the chap on the phone was just as polite and helpful.

We will go and stay in the future as if the service is as good as I have experienced then the stay will be worth while.

General Traveller through work

by TripAdvisor Member Cockover

I have stayed at white swan 5 days and 2 days in Jan 2008.
Rooms generally good. Some rooms ie.123 exellent decor, bed superb, tele good (limited programes.) (small baths, travel lodge size). Rooms 109/110 avoid ! generater feeding fridge on and off all night.Room 104 great.
Good menu, but changed infrequently. No strong english cheeses.
Lack of choice with whiskies. Glenmorangie or Glenfidick in house, lucky if you can hit a night when there is much else. (Staff blame manager , I comlained to manager who blame staff for lack of initiative).
Over all, great location, love the Olympic decor.
Room facilities good, hot water good quality towels.
Staff very friendly, efficient and co-operative.

Comments