Elizabethan Town House

8 Sidey Court, Berwick upon Tweed, TD15 1DR, United Kingdom

More about Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Cannon over the estuaryCannon over the estuary

Stephenson's wonderful railway bridgeStephenson's wonderful railway bridge

Town HallTown Hall

Old BridgeOld Bridge

Travel Tips for Berwick-Upon-Tweed

Accents galore

by Joe_Green

In Berwick (pronounced Berik, not Bur-wik) you'll encounter 2 of the greatest indeciferable accents in the english accent, Scottish, and Geordie. If you're in a shop, in a pub or anywhere, and someone turns, says what seems a slow, well considered sentence.... and you don't understand a word, panic not! I'm a Berwick resident, and I've n qualms about telling some of my friends with broad accents I've no idea what they're saying! (or in Scottish "I havnay a cloo way yee on aboot"). Don't be shy, people from Australia, canada, america, and england, all of us united and also divided by a common language!

Gateway to Scotland

by DebBowers

"England or Scotland?"

We moved to Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1990 from the south of England. We drove the the 400 miles with 2 children and 3 dogs whingeing and looking miserable, that was just the children, and as we passed by the outskirts of Newcastle being asked "Is this all there is, fields?" 14 years on and sadly the dogs have died but the children have grown up and moved on and have places of their own. I'm happy to say that after many cries of "I'm going back south as soon as I can" they have both settled in Berwick-upon-Tweed and now appreciate all the things that we do. Being by the coast the air is cleaner and fresher even if it is a few degrees chillier than the south. There is less traffic and Northumberland being the least populated county in Britain means we have lots of lovely wide open spaces of countryside and here in North Northumberland it feels quite rural but with out being stuck out in the sticks. The pace of life is definitely slower,very noticeable after a trip to London or big town in the south. There is quite a mix of English and Scots here which isn't suprising as Berwick is the most northerly town in England and you can practically walk across the border into Scotland. Over the years Berwick has been under Scottish rule and the debate goes on as to whether we are part of England or Scotland. I am just happy to live here regardless of which country it comes under.

Comments