Haggerston Castle Holiday Park

Beal, Berwick upon Tweed, TD15 2PA, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Poor

• Fantastic break.

Fantastic holiday away for people of all ages. Have been going for 13 years now and booked in again for june. The park gets better and better each time and is now a very impressive holiday park. Entertainment is fab, the swimming pool is clean and free! Bikes are good fun as is the horse riding. The caravans are basic and the different types really do make a difference.. you get what you pay for! Dont let the bad reviews put you off, its a fantastic llace and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, if disappointed in anything let them know and they do their very best to resolve it for you, they even moved us into another caravan once when asked as we were in a noisy area near the complex. Definitely reccomend.

• Fantastic break.

More about Haggerston Castle Holiday Park

Omg what a dump

by TripAdvisor Member abbydabbi

Hi I am just writing to warn anyone who is planning to go to Haggerston Castle, DON'T. We are just back after having the worst holiday ever. We arrived on Saturday 28th July at around 8.30pm, got to the caravan and what can I say absolutely filthy, I personally would let a dog sleep in it, there were thick cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, cobwebs in the cooker, cobwebs on the walls, mould climbing up the shower, mould and damp in the bedroom. Window locks broken and held together with tape,mattress in main bedroom was old , smelly and wrecked. Panel hanging of the walls the list goes on and on. This was a supposed SILVER CARAVAN. Entertainment was absolutely dire. We had 3 kids with us and we actually came home a day early, because the kids were bored sensless. On numerous occassions we witnessed kids age 13, 14 blatanly walking about the arcade drinking pints of lager. Police were at the park at least 3 times that we saw. Take a mortgage out before you go, if you want to do anything.

Go to Haggerston Castle if all you want to do is get dunk from early morning and you don't want to look after your kids.

I FOR ONE WILL NEVER GO BACK

Great Holiday at Haggerston

by TripAdvisor Member shonesg

Have just returned from a stay at Haggerston Castle with my husband, 4 year old son and 15 month old daughter. Had read reviews on Tripadviser before we went and was seriously worried, all reviews seemed to go on about loads of chavs, trouble and lack of cleanliness. This is a load of rubbish in my experience. We arrived at the park at 12.30pm on the Sat, as we had chosen to book a gold caravan check-in was at 1.30pm, went to reception and our caravan was ready earlier which got the holiday off to a good early start, we were located in the golf village area which was lovely and quiet, I will be honest and say there were a few areas of the park that I wouldn't have been too keen on staying in only because there were rows and rows of caravans and some were quite close to the entertainment complex and could be noisy at nights. The caravan was of a lovely standard, very new, clean, comfortable and had all mod cons, we couldn't find fault. The park itself was very busy but we expected that being Oct school week, however there were litter pickers out all day and the park was well looked after. The pool was also extremely busy and although not many changing rooms and showers it was manageable, the pool itself was great for the kids, clean, good temperature and my son even had one to one swimming lessons each morning we were there before the pool opened. We didn't attend the entertainment at night as with 2 small kids who are tired out by 8pm this was not really our scene but plenty of people seemed to enjoy it, the amusement arcade was big and noisy but then what do you expect, people know a park has these facilities before you book. There were a few guests on site who were a bit "rough" however we never saw any trouble, people were just out to have a good holiday. We ate on the last night at the Chinese restaurant on site who do an "all you can eat" buffet for £8.90 per adult or £4.90 per child, under 2's eat free and I found this to be of a good quality with plenty of choice for adults and kids, you can even get take away at £4.50 per container if you prefer. We hired a bike that took all four of us (2 kids strapped in a basket at the front) and toured around the caravan park and that was great. A lot of people on this site have complained about the cost of everything but you can't expect parks to provide these facilities free of charge, go to centre parcs and you will spend just as much if not more as nothing there is free!! My feeling is that people need to set a daily budget before they go on a holiday like that and stick to it, of course you can say no to kids they need to learn that they can't get money for everything all the time. My top tip would be to request a caravan in either the golf village or lakefield as these were 2 lovely areas and very quiet and use the facilities depending on your interests and your spending money. We really had a good holiday and would go back.

Chav City

by TripAdvisor Member whitcut

Myself, Partner, 5 year old twins and our Baby of 4 months stayed at Haggerston Castle for 3 nights in August. The caravan was in a good location over looking the small lake (106), the carpet was badly stained in the living area. HOWEVER !!! in my parents caravan it was a different story!!!! they were located in the Woodland area in caravan 47 (avoid) it had a strange smell which we soon discovered was the toilet, the carpet was filthy you can imagine the smell! when opening the fridge door it moved, we found a hair clip and hairs, rotten food, lots of dust and other small objects, I don't think it had been moved for a long long time to be cleaned under. On turning the light on in the living area we saw a shadow this turned out to be a biscuit in the uplighter shade! Reception were really friendly and sent some one to clean the caravan, they hoovered up but the biscuit was still there and the toilet was still dirty! If you are in to smelly clubs with rubbish entertainment and like sitting with 'Chavs' all evening them you must get the entertainment passes, we wish we haden't bothered we walked in and back out again, full of the sort of people who's children under 8 are up until 1am when they should be in bed.
Loads to do outside the park Seahouses great great great for fish and chips and nice walks.
Basically we will not be going to a Haven Holiday Site again we will stick to Centre Parks, but hey you have to try something once in your life. What an experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Money grabbing and miserable

by TripAdvisor Member Henrik07

Just back from a week at Haggerston Castle and we were very disappointed with our stay. We had a nice caravan in a nice area of the Park but that's pretty much the only good thing I have to say about the place. We were there with 5 kids, aged 10 and under and from all that I had read about the place I thought that there would be plenty for them to do. The only free facilities were a playground and the swimming pools (one indoor and one outdoor), both of which could only be accessed by passing through the large amusement arcade. Its not much fun trying to get through somewhere like that with 5 wee kids in tow! There were other doors into both places but these were locked so you couldn't help coming away with the impression that they make you go through that way in the hope that you'll end up feeding lots of machines en route. The facilities at the pool are awful! 8 changing cubicles and 2 showers - if we had all gone at the same time, we would have needed to used half the total number of changing rooms, and taken turns in the shower. As it was, I was there with two 4 year olds, who stood shivering while we waited in a queue for a shot of one of the of the showers. Oh, and the 20p you put in the locker isn't a deposit, so don't leave your watch on as I did, or you have to go hunting for change to be able to shut the bloomin thing again! There was a play area in another bit of the park where there were quad bikes, bouncy castle, trampolenes, slides, crazy golf etc, where we expected, that with 5 kids, we would spend a lot of time. The prices were so ludicrous though that we only went once, played crazy golf then left. It cost £5 for 5 minutes on a quad bike, £1.50 for 10 minutes on the bouncy castle, £1.50 for 5 shots of a tiny inflatable slide and £1.50 for 10 minutes on a trampolene. Mad. The place was deserted so we clearly weren't the only people who found the prices ludicrous. I was also a bit surprised with the attitude of some members of staff. Some were really nice and helpful, but others just seemed so miserable in their jobs and were downright grumpy and unhelpful. We heard one person in the bike hire place (beware the prices here too!) being rude and impatient to 2 young girls who were just taking a couple of minutes to sort out their money. We weren't looking for Hi-Di-Hi but some civility and the appreciation that people are paying for a holiday atmosphere would be good. Back to Centre Parcs next year for sure - it may cost more, but in terms of value for money, it wins hands down.

Week at haggi!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Calum'sDad

went 1st week in June with wife, 2 boys (3 months and 2 years) and grandparents. Stayed in a gold level 3 bedroom caravan. Caravan was adequete for our needs. Living/kitchen area was fine although beds were a little on the small side and toilet was tiny. Our only real problem with the accommodation was the lack of hot water on the 1st night as the batteries in the boiler were flat so the boiler did not work and there was only a shower which meant it was difficult to wash the small children. Heaters in the bedroom are definitely a plus as it does get cold at night.

Facilities in the park include, chinese restaurant, boating lake, horse riding, golf & fun centre containing swimming pool, bars, arcades & spa. There is also a small shop on site selling essentials and you get good sausage baps and bacon rolls for breakfast at reasonable prices (£1.29).

The entertainment in the show bars is of a reasonable standard, however you do need to get there early to secure a table ( this wasn't even during the school holidays). Our biggest problem with the complex was having to go past all the amusement arcades prior to getting to the showbar or swimming pool, these were a magnet to our 2 year old an expense we could have done without and a distraction that most parents can do without.

If you are using the park as base for visiting the attractions of the area then it is adequate for a family, however one week alone in the park without excursions could become very boring and expensive as there is only 1 playpark and too many machines wanting money!!!!!

Recommended attractions in the area include, Alnwick (including Lions Den playcentre), Whitehouses Farm near Morpeth, Heatherslaw Light railway and Pot-a-doodle-do to make gifts for granny.

Don't even bother!

by TripAdvisor Member Tesco79

Booked 4 nights the first week of June only stayed 2. The caravan was OK but it had cost us an upgrade of £100 sure it was not worth that!

Never even went into the pool a look was enough. As others have said what a smoke infested hole not a place I wanted my 2 year old sitting in. Even now with the smoking ban it will take years of deep cleaning, the smoke still will remain.

The entertainment was a joke, staff pretending to sing and in the main show of the week the lead guy was reading his lines from a clipboard.

Very expensive and nothing was included apart from the very disgusting swimming pool. £6 for half an hour on boats that looked at least 10 years old.

There is also very little in the area to do we ended up driving back up to Scotland for days out.

We would have been better staying at home. Please do not waste your money on Haven its not worth it. I will never ever stay at any of their parks even if it was free, its that bad!

Never again!

by TripAdvisor Member JulesDumfriesshire

Never again! Having had a great holiday at Primrose Valley last year we (myself, my two girls aged 11 and 13) decided to go to Haggerston having heard it was supposed to be good. The brochure said it was a five star landscaped site. It was awful. Our silver caravan at a cost of £600 for a week was dirty on arrival, there was sand in the shower, hairs on the toilet, the kitchen worktops were dirty, even the utensils and crockery in the cupboards had to be washed before use. The caravan was supposed to be in a quiet area, it backed on to the golf course. Every night I was kept awake by the noise from the entertainment place, so much for it being quiet. The swimming facilities were poor, and the pool area just wasn't big enough for the amount of people there. My daughters went in the pool only once . In fact my eldest daughter was so dissappointed with the place she returned home after 2 days!! The surrounding area of Northumberland is lovely and we went out every day just to get away from the site which proved expensive...all those castle admission costs!.
If i ever had to do the caravan thing again it would be only to return to Primrose Valley in no less than a gold. Even then it would need to be hot enough for the beach. As another reviewer said...its back to centerparcs ( Whinfell forest for us), at least its a quality holiday!!

OK

by TripAdvisor Member shazzarr

Stayed here 11/08/07 - 18/08/07 with my Mum and Hubby and 2 kids aged 12 and 14.
We only booked this 3 weeks ago and booked a 3 star Caravan. When we arrived all the staff were really friendly and it was well organised picking the keys up and Funwork passes.
We were given caravan Woodside 41 which was filthy and had the most awful smell in it. The carpets were dirty and smelly and the kettle had dirt on the top in a clump and runs of coffee down the front. The fridge had all runs down the front of it and was broken inside so everytime you opened it pur milk fell out as it had no retainer and when we put it in the fridge it leaked everywhere.
The beds were really small for my kids. The light fitting over the table had exposed wires and no shade on it. the were cupboard handles missing. A few cobwebs and when we got the pans out they had food stuck in the bottom.
The staff i have got to say were really unfriendly especially in the food place. the only staff that were nice were when we arrived. they grunted there was only ever one serving and if you were waiting they disappered and when i asked if someone could serve us in a nice manner the man gave me a dirty look and disappeared again!! it was unbelievable.
Also if you ever have a problem in the amusement arcade which you have to go through to get to all the activitys the staff in there are too busy with the young girls to see to any problems and if you say excuse me a few times they will walk away as fast as they can i know this happened to me twice!! in the end i abandoned my game of bowling.
The food menu was ok and we didnt think it was that expensive except for the Lamb shank dont have it its over £10 and not that nice and the Pasta was awful i didnt eat that and told them and they ignored me.
My Kids were really bored for most of the holiday as everything involved money we used the bikes and got told off because we were on the horse path. we used the boats and got stuck in some smelly stuff on the lake.
the Kids went to the pool and used the Aqua jets and the kids could have swam faster and they were always breaking down even the new ones.
AND DONT GO THE CHINESE we went there Friday night it has this great flyer saying all these dishes for £8.90 per Adult so we booked a table and the food was awful if your kids are over 4'11 they pay as an adult. But we thought the food was really bland and not very nice at all.
I would just read all the reviews as they all sound familiar before booking this holiday.

not as bad as people make out

by TripAdvisor Member mummy21

if you go with no high expectations and an open mind you can enjoy your holiday- just avoid the chip shop!

Read the reviews and were worried but when we got there we found that it was no where near as bad as people painted Haggerston to be.

Were there with my partner and our 7 month old son and will go again!

Black

by TripAdvisor Member Lola74

Haggy Castle turned out to be a nightmare. We were booked to stay Monday to Friday and lasted 3 hours! Caravan was black bogging, as soon as I opened the door it smelt of wet dog and fags. Interior furnishings (if thats what you call them) were grubby with the insides hanging out, no door handles, carpet was disgusting, net curtains were hanging off then we saw the mattresses........oh my god....that says it all, dirty grey ancient things - there was no way I could've slept in that! I would have had to have been really drunk the whole holiday! The place was full of chavs and the whole 'fun park' needed a good clean. Now thats not to say everyones experience may be tarnished like mine - you might end up with nice accommodation and if you've got older kids, they'd probably love it. My one year old was none the wiser. I wouldn't recommend it and I'll not be back. It would put me off booking anything with haven holidays

Comments