Wark Village, Hexham, NE48 3LS, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Battlesteads Hotel

Northumberland Retreat

by Elsenhameileen about Battlesteads Hotel, Wark

Lovely village location and a convenient centre for exploring one of England's most spectacular counties. Warm welcome, friendly staff and excellent service. Comfortable rooms with well-equipped en-suites. Excellent food and imaginative menus - most food is locally sourced; good, well-priced wine list and a nice choice of well-kept real ales. Two of our party were vegetarians and were pleased with the choice of dishes. Super breakfast buffet and a smashing 'full-English' to set you up for the day. Pleasant bar and terrace for outdoor drinking in summer. The owners have recently installed a very efficient geothermal heating system and added a large conservatory. I was pleased to note the use of eco-friendly cleaning products and of fairtrade foods. The walled garden is attractive to wildlife with bird feeders, nest boxes, and bat boxes. You are likely to be woken up by the screech of a pheasant - much nicer than an alarm clock!

Hard to beat Battlesteads

by TripAdvisor Member joncton

It's easy to say "great", " wonderful", etc. when you are pleased with your stay, but every single aspect of our stay was faultless.The hotel is managed very professionally and in friendly manner by the owners who are out front helping and available, not hidden in the office.This is why every little detail has been thought through, and every member of staff is as professional and helpful as the owners.

Lovely hotel, lovely location, lovely staff, lovely food!

by TripAdvisor Member ForestBrussels

My wife and I stayed here for a week at the end of May. Good location for walkers, cyclists or those just seeking to get away from it all.

The rooms were very well-decorated and equipped. The staff and owners are very friendly and welcoming. The bar has a good selection of wines, beers, ciders, whiskies and brandies. However, the really fantastic thing about the Battlesteads is the food! Great selection at a very reasonable price - the desserts are simply out of this world! My favourite food experience of my time at the Battlesteads was the smoked haddock with poached egg (on the breakfast menu). Normally I eat fish very infrequently (and only to pretend that I am eating healthily), but I ordered the haddock at least three times during my stay. Try it!

The Battlesteads is definitely worth staying at.

Excellent choice

by TripAdvisor Member blackwellpair

Just had a four-night stay at the Battlesteads Hotel and was an excellent choice (we had booked it after reading the recommendations on Trip Advisor). Our room was very comfortable and had only recently been refurbished , as had the rest of the hotel. The food was very good; we don't think you would have had a better breakfast in a 5-star hotel. The owners and the staff were all friendly and helpful; nothing was too much trouble. The hotel was a good place from which to explore Hadrian's Wall and Kielder Water. Keep up the good work - we will be back one day!

Good choice except for the food

by TripAdvisor Member bbclefties

I have just returned from a stay at the Battlesteads Hotel with my wife. We were there for 3 nights.

Staff - The staff (a mix of English and Polish people) were courteous, friendly and efficient. The guy who runs the bar in particular was really good – even at busy times he was never flustered. Check-in and out was hassle free.

The room – Our room (upstairs facing the front) was well equipped and had clearly been refurbished throughout recently. It was very clean and tidy. It had sufficient space for two, and did not feel crowded or cluttered. I’ve stayed in more expensive places that don’t come up to this standard. My only criticism is that even in September the room was hot.
The bathroom was well decorated and designed. The owners put good quality soap and toiletries there for guests.
There were good quality team making facilities (the tea, coffee and hot chocolate are in a draw). Nice touches included an ironing board and iron (for walkers I guess), hairdryer & digital TV.
The bed was excellent. I have back pain from time to time, the bed here was firm and comfortable and caused me no problems at all (in some hotels I have to sleep on the floor).

The hotel – The hotel had a nice garden, good for sitting outside in the autumn sun drinking cider. I booked this for my wife, her first words were ‘this is lovely’. Mobile phones don’t work here (the owners warn of this on their web site) but there is a phone in the room.

The location – The hotel is in Wark, about 10 miles north of Hexham. Wark is very small, it has the Battlesteads, another pub, a butchers shop and newsagent – and that’s it. It’s on the banks of the North Tyne river and I found the location to be both attractive and quiet.

Getting about - There is a bus (880 service) to Hexham that runs about once every hour until 7pm. For walkers, there is the AD122 service that runs the length of Hadrians Wall (google for both services). We took a taxi to the start of our walk just north of Haltwhistle, the cost of which was £20 (very reasonable in my view). The walk along Hadrians walk was marvellous.

Food – This is where the Battlesteads lets itself down in my view – at least for main meals. Breakfast is excellent, with a choice of continental and cooked food. The standard of the cooked breakfast is very high. We had a packed lunch for our walk, this was great value at £5 each and much appreciated.
The evening mean was a disappointment – we did not eat there again after the 1st night. In daylight the dining room is bearable, but the lighting is way to harsh in the evening. This, along with the awful furniture and décor, give the place a 1980’s transport-café look. If the food had been good this would not have mattered. Our meal was bland and tasteless, and trying to be ‘posh nosh’ but it fell flat. My chunky cod on mustard mash was dry and utterly devoid of flavour, my wife’s was no better. My advice is avoid, and eat in Hexham until they either produce upmarket meals well, or move to tasty, wholesome simple food.

Costs – Room £80 per night. The meal on our first night was £50 including drinks (2 bottles of beer, 1 glass of wine). Packed lunches £5 each (recommended for walkers). Breakfast included. Drinks in the bar are reasonable.

Summary. I loved Northumberland and will return – probably to the Battlesteads. I just won’t eat there, which is a shame.

Tremendous place to eat/stay - and good value

by TripAdvisor Member Paulus_Maximus

We found Battlesteads in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. The place has been tastefully renovated since the CAMRA guide was printed and is now a very relaxing hotel/restaurant with a comfortable lounge area. There is wireless broadband access throughout.

The staff were - without exception - helpful, efficient and friendly. The owners were also very hospitable and sociable - even by Northumbria's high standards. The rooms were very well equipped, were fitted to a high standard and were very quiet. The food is excellent and is sourced locally whenever possible - they even have their own livestock. The interior design is mainly cream walls with dark wood - something I found very relaxing.

It is also extremely good value. We paid £99 for a room (all are en suite) including breakfast and 2 course evening meal. Since the food was so good - this was a bargain. We couldn't fault the place, to be honest. Highly recommended.

(Oh, the beer was very nice, by the way)

Loved the swallow chicks

by TripAdvisor Member Twocanstay

My wife and I plus 4 other couples gathered for our annual walking reunion at Battlesteads for the weekend. All of us were impressed by the friendliness of the owners and staff in this recently refurbished hotel in the village of Wark. The food was excellent and very well presented, and more than enough to satisfy 10 hungry walkers at the end of the day. The bar was well stocked with real ales, and fine whiskies (although a Bushmills would have gone down well), and was very comfortable to sit and have a drink after a long days walk.
All the rooms in which the group stayed were very comfortable, and a good supply of tea, coffee, biscuits and bottles of water were provided. We even had an iron and ironing board which is a first for us in any hotel in Britain.
All in all a very nice place to stay, with the added extra of watching the swallows feed their young at the door, and a place to remember for future weekend reunions. Not sure whether Coltbridge stayed at the same hotel.

great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member ripvan

Just stayed here for three nights for a cycling holiday in the area.It is a first class hotel, recently refurbished (spring 2007).The food and service is excellent.The staff are friendly and their is a cosy relaxed atmosphere to the hotel.Most importantly the bar has a choice of 4 real ales.Essential for reviving tired cyclists! Would highly reccommend it.

Great experience

by TripAdvisor Member TerryDactyl

Just returned from a three day stay. Only wish it could have been longer. Very comfortable stay, excellent food, friendly service and, overall, a great experience. Are making plans for our return visit.

Great Hotel in lovely village

by TripAdvisor Member timandshelagh

We found this hotel using TripAdvisor and have to say that we were not disappointed. The hotel has recently been refurbished and indeed, this is ongoing with a conservatory in the course of being built. The rooms are small but very well equipped and comfortable. The food is fantastic and is matched by the service from all staff. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend to others or to return - which we plan to do.

The North Gate showing the west tower.The North Gate showing the west tower.

A type of rose, with the fruit seen above the flowA type of rose, with the fruit seen above the flow

A typical day on the Roman FrontierA typical day on the Roman Frontier