Slaley, Near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Hexham, NE47 0BX, United Kingdom

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about De Vere Slaley Hall

Slaley hall

by TripAdvisor Member lauramac12345

when i arrived at slaley hall it was fantasic the staff were helpful, my husband went off and played gold which he knew some of the regulars, while i went off to the spa. i would recommend this hotel to anyone.

If you like golf don't play here.

by TripAdvisor Member Mark 2

6 of us stayed here for a golfing weekend 12th-14th May. Both courses were in awful condition, to the point Slaley Hall should have contacted us beforehand to give us the option to go elsewhere. But they are more interested in income than customer satisfaction. We complained through our travel agent (Golfbreaks) and they have told us twice that Slaley Hall will contact us. But they have not, thus me writing this review. They also had no record of our booking on the Saturday afternoon....
The restaurant was so under staffed the service was tortoise like at best. The rooms were ok ......
Go elsewhere if you like golf and service (we will).

Fantastic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member traveljeff

I stayed at the Slaley Hall hotel, together with my wife and son. The hotel lived up to the reputation that the DeVere hotels have.
It was a fantastic stay at a very friendly and professionally run hotel.
The staff from the cleaners to the managers were all very approachable and polite. The views where stunning over the golf courses set in a 1000 acres of land. You couldnt want for a better location to explore the surrounding area of Northumberland (Alnwick castle home of Harry Potter)
A hotel not just for golfers but the entire family!

wonderful stay

I recently stayed at slaley hall with my husband on a romantic weekend away, we had looked at many photo's of the place before we arrived and found it to exceed our expectations. We had a wonderful stay and the rooms were clean and were very nice. The beds were more than comfy it was sleeping in heaven. We spent one night down in the cocktail bar at which we had lovely service from a young lad Ricky, he was friendly and helpful and made our night just that bit more special. the food was lovely and i enjoyed it very much and all the staff were helpful and exceptionally friendly. We are planning our next visit in the near future. Thank you again.

A lovely getaway

by TripAdvisor Member littleuns

We have just come back from a night at Slaley Hall and after reading some reviews were pleasantly suprised at what a fantastic time we had.

Hotel staff were nice and friendly, our suite was spotless and very roomy and the restaraunt was beautiful. The evening meal was also fantastic!! Even the firm alarm going off at 10.30pm didnt dampen our spirits.

A lovely hotel for a getaway. The only downside was that the breakfast was very unorganised. We had to queue for 15 minutes before we were seated. The service in general in all areas was a bit slow but if you arent in any rush then this is a wonderful place to stay.

We would definitley recommend a visit.

Disappointing

We normally enjoy a break at Slayley Hall at least once a year and the standards have always been extremely high.The week before this trip we were informed of a winter vomiting bug but were assured that it would not affect our visit.
Unfortunately this trip was very disappointing.The service at dinner and breakfast was dreadful.We waited 40mins before being served drinks at dinner and we had already eaten our breakfast before tea and coffee arrived! We were told that the hotel was "short staffed"
I don't think we will be returning to Slayley Hall for a long time.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lizzy28

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel from the 5th to the 7th August and absolutely loved it! The staff couldn't be more helpful and the hotel itself and surrounding countryside are outstanding. The food was wonderful although they are a bit slow seating you at breakfast time but this just made you hungrier to enjoy the fab full English!

Our room was spotless and the bar and outside patio were perfect for relaxing in. There was a wedding whilst we were there but this only added to the enjoyment as everyone was very happy and there were fireworks during dinner which made the night.

It is in a perfect location for travelling around Northumberland being close to Hexham, Alnwick, Newcastle and even Scotland (when you get on the wrong road like we did!).

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and cannot understand all the negative comments on here. I have already passed the details on to my parents who are planning a trip too!

De-Vine!

by TripAdvisor Member Mrhreid

We stayed here for two nights in September for a family wedding.

I'd read some of the reviews and wasn't expecting alot for the money. However after a torturous journey from Manchester (our car broke down 2 miles from the airport) and being on the go for 15 hours we were delighted to be greeted immediately by a porter who took our bags from the car. We checked in quickly and arrived at our room with our bags already delivered. The porter also parked our car which was v helpful.

Bar service was good if a little slow - the drinks are on the pricey side - be warned!!

Room was lovely - huge bed.

Breakfast was excellent - was a buffet and better quality than alot of buffets i've tucked into.

Overall I thought the hotel was excellent, the staff were friendly and helpful.

One word of warning is that, although we didn't use the pool due to lack of time, it's not heated at the moment as there's a leak which means the waters cold !! Wasn't clear when it was going to be fixed.

Fantastic Break

by TripAdvisor Member angel69chad

Just returned from a fabulous break at Slaley with my boyfriend. From the minute we arrived we were impressed. Nothing could be faulted. Would definitely return again. It was the most relaxing break I've ever had. Food was delicious and Spa was such a treat. I would recommend it to any couple wanting a romantic getaway.

Hexham

by steventilly

"Hexham & Surroundings"

Hexham is one of the major towns of Northumberland. It lies in the Tyne valley, near the confluence of the rivers North Tyne and South Tyne. It is the capital of what is known as Tynedale and it has had a long and turbulent past. It is a good base to see the remains of the roman wall (Hadrian's Wall) and it also has buildings in the town that bear testament to the area's later troubles with the Scots.

"Slaley Hall Hotel"

This is where we spent the weekend. It's a fairly luxurious hotel set in 1000 acres of land. These days it's owned by De Vere Hotels, so you can find it on their web pages if you want details.
This is the view of the original part of Slaley Hall, but it's been massively extended.

Like many De Vere hotels, this one is also a golf resort. Here's the view over the course (well, one of them - there are two).

There was a wedding taking place while we were there... the bride had pics took out on the course...

This is our bedroom (typical of most of the rooms, but there are more "special" rooms too, and suites)

A nice backlit pic of the good wife - just trying out the new camera's "flashy features" :-)

One of the bars in the hotel (that's the Grand National being run on the TV)

The patio garden at the rear of the hotel... lovely for a drink on a sunny day (and this was really a sunny day!)

Too sunny for our friend Steve, who kept falling asleep!

Me & Sue enjoy the sunshine...

There is also a "Japanese Water Garden" here...

In April 2002 we had our work "Christmas Event" (yes, yes, very punctual I know) at a place called Slaley Hall, which is very near to Hexham. It's an extremely luxurious hotel, set in 1000 acres of land in the middle of the countryside. This travelogue tells of that weekend trip - our journey there - the hotel - the day in Hexham... I hope you enjoy it.

The "main event" was dinner that evening (and a lot of drinking too)

Well, I did take a pic of all of my meal, but the most interesting bit by far is the desert which was "trio of chocolate" and it really was even better than it looks!

And it was (believe it or not) even better than the Bailey's Liquere Creme Brulee ;-)

"Hexham"

On Sunday we went to Hexham - it's about 15km from Slaley Hall. There are quite a few nice old buildings there, a lot of good pubs and restaurants and some nice quaint old shops too.
This is the "Old Gaol" (Old Jail)

Some kind of monument in the Market Square (sorry, I didn't make note of what it is).

That monument again, in front of the Border Reivers Museum.

In the park at Hexham.

"On The Way There"

We passed by Derwent Reservoir. This is the largest "lake" in County Durham. I suspect it was built to provide water for the Consett Steel Works, which are now closed. Today this (and Kielder in Northumberland) mean that we're never short of water here in the North East! (The incessant rain helps a lot with that too).

Susan insisted I have my pic took here, on the banks of Derwent Reservoir (note: NOT Derwent Water, which is in the lakes) :-)

"Blanchland"

Not far from Derwent Reservoir, at its eastern end, is the village of Blanchland. If you approach the village this way you get a very dramatic view of it, nestling in the bottom of valley, clinging to the hillsides around, and in winter (or cold weather) with smoke rising romantically from the chimneys of the houses.
This is a square of cottages in the village.

The main square, showing the shop/post office, which is in some sort of "fortified" building, no doubt to guard against Scots raiders!

More of the cottages at Blanchland...

...and the church there...

...and finally The Lord Crewe Arms hotel. This is an ancient building, originally part of a monastery and reputedly haunted! It has some great, very quaint, bars!

Follow this link (VTML coming soon?)

Comments